The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Boston Bombing & the Second Amendment (Guns) - Is there any relationship ?

The Boston Bombing & the Second Amendment (Guns) - Is there any relationship ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. All
Hi ONTHEBEACH & CSTEELE...

Memories sweet memories... Fantastic ! Indeed the Central was probably the pick of the bunch with aperture sights. Parker Hale and Rawson were good. As a member of Hurstville VDC at ANZAC Range, Liverpool (all housing now) I took up the sport in '57 and purchased my first SMLE, No l Mk 3 for the princely amount of three quid, from the MDRCU via the Army, Brand new, still in it's original packing grease, ex Lithgow SAF.

Then, as was the practice, one wandered down the road to this little Shed/Shack (adjacent to 800 yard mound) where the legendary Percy Pavey did his magic. Whereupon I handed it over, together with the heavy barrel and my new Parker Hale Sight (independently purchased), and returned for it about 6 or 8 weeks later. Parting with about 14 to 16 quid for my trouble.

He fitted the heavy barrel (Ferlach), semi-floated of course, fitted my first Parker Hale, (the cheapest) and generally tidied up the rifle in readiness for my first outing with it. Yes indeed, CSTEELE the 'half cock' position with the bolt, was an ancillary safety measure.

You may remember, ONTHEBEACH & CSTEELE, the competition involved; two 'sighters', followed by ten 'business', on your first 'down'. Then, on your second 'down' you repeated the first sequence of, 2 x sighters, followed by 10 x business. At the conclusion you added both 'downs' together, minus the four 'sighters' and that was your raw score. With a 'possible' of 100 points ! Naturally, a 'possible' was what everyone 'aimed for' (sorry for the pun).

On the Sunday morning, I'd eagerly check the results in the paper, to see if my name appeared under the heading of Hurstville VDC. When it did, the whole neighbourhood was told about it !

We had the famous 'Queens Prize' winner, James Sweet visit our club on many occasions. He authored 'the' accepted text on big bore, 'Competitive Rifle Shooting' a terrific little book.

Today, I'd be accused of being a 'gun nut I suppose ? I dunno gentlemen, I really don't ?
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 21 April 2013 9:59:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy