The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Choice

The Choice

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
Does the Government really have policies which force private comapnies to employ certain people and pay them for hours they haven't worked or does it just provide incentives to employers to employ certain people?
Tony Lavis,
I only just spotted your earlier post & the answer to your question is, the Government stipulates that on any project in remote & not so remote communities a certain quota of local workers are to be employed. So, contractors put them on the payroll & encourage them to stay away so as not to interfere with the work. This practice is governed by well documented & spoken about experience of massive absenteeism. Hence these wages are of course calculated into the contract price up front.
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 March 2013 10:13:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Individual,

<<Do you really believe education is the problem solver?>>

"the problem"? What problem?
Surely you've heard of the golden rule: If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

A few people who prefer not to work (or not to be involved in formal employment with financial consideration) and rather live on a very frugal subsistence income, are not a problem. Generosity is not a sin and I refuse to feel jealous at them!

<<How else do you expect them to gain experience & life skills if you don't expose them to it?>>

I don't expect anyone to gain anything, that's THEIR business and I have no right to expose others to things they don't want. If they indeed do want to gain experience & life skills, then there are plenty opportunities, they only need to ask and to mean it.

<<people with only idleness at their disposal lose direction & motivation>>

That's THEIR problem, if they see it as such.

<<A national Service exposes even those who already in a healthy state of mentality to other aspects of life which they are not normally exposed to.>>

So does sending everyone for a year or two in prison, whether they committed a crime or not. So does sending young children for paedophile-experience workshops would expose them to aspects of life which they are not normally exposed to. We could even have an exchange program with North-Korea, exposing Australians to life in their concentration-camps.

<<those participating in it WILL express their gratitude later in life.>>

For shattering their formerly happy, peaceful and productive life, breaking their spirits and turning them into broken vessels and nut cases.
But you may be right: I suppose that when faced with waterboarding, they will indeed be quick to express their gratitude.

George Orwell would be proud of you.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 29 March 2013 1:58:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,
Congratulations, you certainly are a one-off.
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 March 2013 7:16:10 PM
To Yuyutsu
Since you are obviously some sort of a sociopath with little or no life experience I fold my hand in this discussion.
Having spent a number of years in such exotic locations as Rwanda,Vietnam,Iraq and Afghanistan as a regular army officer and in Israel and Libya as an military attache in the diplomatic service I can assure you that your warped viewpoint would keep you safely away from any firing line.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Friday, 29 March 2013 10:15:25 PM
Surely you've heard of the golden rule: If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Yuyutsu,
If you were to look up the word broken you'd find it's meaning to refer to not working.
It is extremely similar to to the present federal Government's policies & a huge number of young Australians who are denied guidance.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 31 March 2013 10:28:34 AM
Dear Individual,

<<If you were to look up the word broken you'd find it's meaning to refer to not working.>>

OK, so we are into word-play, fair enough:

Something works when it does what it was designed to do.
For millions of years, humans and their predecessors were eating, digesting, breathing, eliminating wastes and procreating - all without earning a single coin of money. So long as that still happens, one cannot say that those people are broken (now even if they were broken, the question still stands whether fixing them is a worthwhile pursuit).

<<It is extremely similar to to the present federal Government's policies & a huge number of young Australians who are denied guidance.>>

It's two separate and unrelated issues:
1) A government is a parasite, it's meant to suck our blood and they do so very well. Unfortunately it isn't broken.
2) I am in favour of providing anyone who so wishes with guidance, but I'll never impose guidance on those who never sought it from me in the first place.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 31 March 2013 1:25:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All