The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Indigenous, Juvenile Justice System - A success or failure ?

The Indigenous, Juvenile Justice System - A success or failure ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All
Lexi,
All the best for your medical appointment today.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 9:25:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hope it all goes nicely for you today Lexi.

Take it easy today, & we'll see you tomorrow.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 9:53:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'Day all,
Browsing through the posts here, I don't see anything new. It is the age old problem of youth. Every generation critisises the young for getting it too easy. It does not matter what the ethnicity of the youth is. Every generation has a percentage of youth that 'run off the rails' and these end up usually in trouble with the police for petty crime and anti social behaviour. I agree that this percentage is far too high in the indigenous youth.

What to do about it is the question, or rather what our politicians are willing to try. They don't seem willing to try anything.

I think it gets back to teaching kids respect, for themselves and others. Beginning at home and early schooling. At least some self disipline is required to live and get through normal life in normal society. Maybe we have gone too soft on children and parents and teachers need to install more disipline and earn respect. Now the police and courts have lost respect.

How to go about this to succeed and yet remain fair and reasonable is the big question.

It has to start with the young and at home.

Remember the Redfern riots? What the hell were young kids 10-11 and 12 doing out on the street at midnight? They should be tucked up in bed and their parents there to mind them. What are we teaching kids?

Recently, the police carried out an operation picking up young kids in Sydney, late at night. Most paremts, when contacted, did not know where their kids were and some did not care. Some parents did not even make the effort to come and collect their kids. Makes on wonder.

Can we have a website naming and shaming bad parenting?
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 10:03:17 AM
Thanks for all your good wishes.
My appointment's at 2.30 this afternoon
and I'm a bit nervous.

See you when I get back - hopefully with
some good news.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 11:02:45 AM
Hello there LEXI...I, in company with all your many good friends here, wish you well, with your medico's at 2.30pm this afternoon.

Please let us know how you're going, when you're up to it of course. Until then, please take care.

Re-reading all your threads certainly suggests to me we're all essentially on the same page. I suspect, as one of you have suggested, we should simply 'nuke em' might be a bit of an over reaction perhaps ?

I reckon everyone of us here know what needs to be done ? The problem is, knowing it, and executing it, is two entirely different matters. Besides, without the necessary good will of our Politicians, and the sustained good will of the Courts, and of course the coppers, nothing will ever be done ?

I would hasten to predict, if this topic is again raised in five years hence nothing, other than a substantial increase of youth criminality, will've altered ?

And I'm now completely despairing of ever finding a satisfactory solution to this very very serious social and criminal problem. Nothing, and I do mean nothing has changed in this important area of youth crime, since I retired from the job some years ago. Other than it's deteriorated significantly and shamefully !

God help us, and help the future of our nation.
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 1:57:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Speaking this morning with a bureaucrat who is some sort of consultant with Qld Police dealing with juveniles in remote communities I said to him "Something needs to done & we need to speak up about all the incompetence & all the fleecing within the Public Service" he replied, "best to just say nothing".
I think this mentality just about sums it up. So far as the young offenders are concerned he didn't even want to listen. Keep in mind this is a bloke on over 100 Grand a year ! I wonder how many like him are out there getting paid by us.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 5:08:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy