The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Live Export Debacle

Live Export Debacle

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
Once again the Live Export debacle has reared it`s ugly head!
The latest Four Corners expose of a cargo of live sheep, shunted from one middle eastern port to another, following lies and political manipulation, effectively refusing the unloading of the sheep at the original port of destination Abu Dabi, resulting in the quick fix of taking them to Pakistan to be unloaded, where more lies, deceit and inuendo of inherent disease of the shipment resulted in the now commonplace BUTCHERY of these innocent animals, by cold-blooded killers ( no other way to describe them!).

We now hear the whinings of Government representatives who deny that they had opted for the "quick fix" by off-loading the remaining shipment in Pakistan, once again appearing to be blind to the blatant abuse and cruelty to these poor animals,...ALL IN THE NAME OF MONEY!

All Live Trade shipments should be stopped immediately to ALL of these Muslim countries. If they want our meat then let them buy it frozen from us, with the knowledge that it has been slaughtered in our as humane way as possible!

At the present time there is a shipment of live Dairy Breeders on its way to Pakistan.....I hope the farmers who bred and provided these cattle for this shipment, realise just what they have condemned their stock to,....but then again money soothes many sins!

Where is the outcry by the RSPCA and Animal Libbers,...are they too scared of Government to stand up and be counted...THANK GOD FOR LYN WHITE!
Posted by Crackcup, Monday, 5 November 2012 10:15:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Copy of an edited email sent 2 days ago.

Dear Senator Ludwig,

I assume you read “Blame aplenty in Karachi slaughter”. I assume that you would like to deal with this situation and eventually prevent this sort of thing ever happening again. Logic makes it quite clear that the only way to do this is to discourage the export of live animals. Banning the trade outright causes considerable problems. However there is a solution which will eventually work, as it has done in other countries who had the same problem, and that is to levy a tax on each animal exported live. This has several benefits and no downside at all

 Your Treasurer is in desperate need of income to fix the budget deficit.
 It opens up the possibility of a large number of new jobs in the Meat processing industry.
 It discourages live exports and encourages processing meat products in Australia
 Government, by varying the level of the tax, would have control and of course the responsibility for the whole situation
 There can be no complaints from the live animal export industry – . Labour Governments tax anyone any time.

All these are winning arguments and I have written to you before but your reply said nothing and did not engage in any effective argument. I am proposing to send a $1,000 cheque to Animals Australia who seem to be the organization doing more effective work than anyone else. I will send this cheque by the end of the year unless I receive a serious reply from you or your department outlining either your approval for this proposal or alternative suggestions that your Govt intends legislation that must stand a very good chance of being effective. The current situation cannot be allowed to continue indefinitely. You will note that I have sent a copy of this email to Animals Australia and I am sure they will follow this up either to secure the funds or even better - confirmation that you do have properly effective proposals

Yours sincerely
Posted by Dickybird, Wednesday, 7 November 2012 7:00:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see Ban Live Exports sites on facebook, and a lot of talk from them and there will be a Human Chain on the 18th of November across the Stirling Bridge, Fremantle. Dress in black and arrive at 9:45am for a 10am start.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Wednesday, 7 November 2012 7:40:42 AM
I thought that this topic would be raised and of course its being
discussed by city people with great intentions, who don't have a clue
as to what they are discussing. The devil with all these things, is
always in the details. So I will try and remain patient and explain
it to you in more detail. I'll just start with a few key points.

Firstly, trade barriers restrict the abilities of the meat industry
to sell mutton and lamb to many parts of the world. For instance,
my tv is loaded with ads for German products, from VWs to German
kitchen appliances, but I am not free to send my lamb and mutton
to Germany. It is pointless to say, slaughter them here, if you
don't have a market to send them to.

Close the live trade and the law of unintended consequences will make
your head spin. The animal welfare issues created would cause far
more animals welfare issues than you could imagine, right here in
Australia. But it would not be on your tv screen, just like wild
dogs in Australia ripping livestock to bits is not on your tv screen,
so you don't care about it happening under your noses.

Thirdly ESCAS has indeed made a dramatic difference in how
Australian livestock land up overseas. No more Aussie sheep were
slaughtered for Eid this year, the Arabs bought them from Somalia,
Sudan etc, paying up to 500$ a head for them.

Forthly, the Pakistan incident was indeed a one off and its worrying
that such a nation also has its finger on the nuclear button. The
problems with that shipment were political. Both the Cormo and
Pakistan incidents could have been easily solved, if onboard
facilities would have humanely turned the sheep into fish food,
but even then the likes of AA would be screaming blue murder, as
they are vegans.
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 7 November 2012 8:33:00 AM
Let Dickybird use his thousand dollars to buy some sheep and then what? Keep them in his loungeroom or the garden perhaps?
As for more taxes what about a Green tax on all vegetarians? Use that money to buy all the little animals and give them to the vegetarians lol!
I cannot stand the smug and sanctimoneous blonde woman who is always ready to hop in front of the cameras and be adored
Posted by JBowyer, Wednesday, 7 November 2012 8:40:13 AM
The whole problem arose because if you tell a moslem that he is wrong,
especially if you are an infidel, your opinion will be completely
denied and a climb down becomes impossible.
You can see this over and over in international politics.

It is best just not to do business with them.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 7 November 2012 9:31:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy