The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Labor in denial or just stupid.

Is Labor in denial or just stupid.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
@Diamond-Pete

It sounds like you have already salted the mine site, for you say:
<<precisely" how many refugees have done what you claim, in the manner that you claim, for the purposes that you claim? After you supply the exact number, please supply your "official" source>>

You will only accept << official sources>>

But you will never find official sources that admit they got it wrong or were/are incapable of making a determination.

Take one case we all (should) know about –Captain Emad.
The OFFICIAL sources found him to be a genuine refugee.
And even after the Four Corners exposé –he is still an OFFICAL refugee.
And now anyone who makes enquiries about him are told it is all covered by the privacy act,and official sources can’t disclose anything.

You’re on a very safe bet telling us you will only accept <<official >> sources.
Posted by SPQR, Tuesday, 25 September 2012 7:31:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your record on financial matters doesn't exactly inspire confidence when you make statements like this, Arjay.

>>Economically they are illiterate<<

That may well be true, of course. But what is always interesting is the evidence that you offer to support your statements.

>>Today we learn that not only they have a deficit of $173 billion...<<

That number is the accumulation of the last four years in which government expenditure exceeded taxation. This level of spending has its roots in the GFC, of course, so you need to look at alternative courses of action before you can decide that it amounts to economic illiteracy.

The most obvious, of course, would have been to close up shop on government expenditure during this time, thereby creating a substantial recession, and dramatically boosting unemployment. This actually occurred in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Greece and other European countries, whose government did not have a minerals boom to fall back on.

Or they could have raised taxes, to bring the books into balance. Faced with greater taxation, companies would have been forced to lay off workers, families would have less disposable income as well as the threat of unemployment, and we would have dived into recession anyway.

All policy options are flawed, and often have unintended consequences. But in fairness, you cannot use the accumulation of a budget deficit on its own as evidence of economic illiteracy.

Then there's this:

>>...they also have an unfunded superannuation liability of $273 billion.<<

This is a perennial problem that no government of any colour has yet had the courage to solve. This is what it looked like when Labor took over in 2007:

http://www.budget.gov.au/2007-08/bp1/html/bp1_bst7-03.htm

Also bear in mind that it was Costello who initially blew the unfunded liability from $29 billion to $98 billion over ten years, simply by not including it in his budget numbers. Clever.

It is indeed a crime for the workers of Australia to be forced to continue to carry this liability. But you cannot attribute it, I'm afraid, to economic illiteracy.

>>...budget deficit of 33% of our GDP<<

Japan's is 230% of GDP.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 25 September 2012 9:04:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DP,

Your demands for extreme levels of proof for people destroying their documents is pathetic especially as you offer nothing yourself. It has been common knowledge for some time that there are some "refugees" flying into Indonesia with documents and then destroying them. The standard advice from the smugglers to their clients is to dispose of their documents.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 25 September 2012 10:25:50 AM
Arjay, you have forgotten the almost $250 Billion in outstanding
government bonds.
I have found it difficult to get a handle on the total but whatever it
seems to be more than $600 billion.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 25 September 2012 1:14:09 PM
I see nobody here has the capacity to answer my questions in order to prove their anti refugee "opinions" are mere "opinions" and nothing more.

It's amazing the antipathy that a tiny minority of secure, protected and safe Australians have for small numbers of refugees ... it says a lot about the morality and personal character of "some" Australians. I guess it makes these frightened and insecure Australians feel more powerful and in control. Sad.

Pericles, that was a great post, and you certainly put them in their place using facts, figures and logic.
Posted by DiamondPete, Tuesday, 25 September 2012 2:57:25 PM
And good afternoon to you DIAMONDPETE...

I do apologise for my 'tardiness' apropos answering the many questions, that you so, laconically put to me.

As you'd suggested, I was madly 'googling' away into the wee small hours, in some vain attempt to acquire the exact data that you require.

I thought for a moment, I'd actually 'jumped the box' once more ?

Of course, as you well know my blinkered friend, I cannot furnish such particulars that your seek. Similarily, neither can you offer any quality evidence to support your cause.

I've no doubt, if we both had unfettered and unabridged access to the relevant authorities eg; AFP, ACS, DEFAT, ASIO, and the Oz Navy - These and only these agencies, would be in a position to know the TRUE facts, DIAMONDPETE.

Certainly, any data provided by Government would be heavily expurgated, to prevent any further embarrassment, as a consequence of Mr Rudd's previous policies. So, any attempt to pry true facts from Govt. well, something about p... into the wind... ?

As a retired copper, I have several friends who work in certain areas. We discuss more than mere football results - think about it ? You don't need help from the CIA to get it? Or do you ?

The legal folk who provide advocacy services to these people, earn a good quid. There'd not be too many who'd continue to represent these people, pro bono publico, without first ensuring they'll get access to the Govt's. 'bucks'. The operative word is 'continue'.

In conclusion DP, you seem to have the general ability to put a few sentences together, marshal your thoughts, and in so doing, expand upon them in some logical structure.

Then, prima facie you're no mug ! However, if you continue to pursue such dogged naivety, with your erroneous thinking on this issue, then perhaps you may well be a mug ! And on 'mugs', my old desk Sergeant once taught me, DIAMONDPETE ?

'...Never argue with a mug...' !

Good afternoon to you.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 25 September 2012 3:54:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy