The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Under no circumstances do I want ever see anyone like John Howard as our prime-minister again

Under no circumstances do I want ever see anyone like John Howard as our prime-minister again

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
Lexi, sorry to say this but I am old school, which is, my way, or the highway, kind of sink or swim.

I will pick a worker by their body language and, if they have the old jellyfish hand shake, forget it.

I have had many apprentices and the only ones that have come out the other side are very good butchers, but, a I say to all of them, there are two things needed to succeed here, a good teacher and a good student. It is not possible without both.

Unfortunately we live in a protected society today, one that is often wrapped in cotton wool.

Banning the cane at schools has had far reaching consequences, beyond belief of the do-gooders of the day.

In my day, 70 hours a week was the norm, if one wanted to make their millions, these days this is frowned upon, and there in lies the problem.

Many of tomorrow's potential millionaires want the success, but without the hard work.

Good luck!
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 6 January 2012 2:17:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Majority of posts here are related to economy. Naturally, this is extremely important part of societal functioning. Yet, can we claim that this is the most important part of societal functioning, and economic achievements should be gained by any humanitarian costs?
Adolf Hitler demonstrated his exceptional managerial skills in rapid building of Germany's industrial and military power.
Joseph Stalin's managerial genius converted Russia from mostly agricultural country with majority of illiterate population into world's political, industrial, military, scientific and cultural superpower.
By no means, I want to somehow compare John Howard with them. These examples are for the purpose of relevant consideration only.
Can John Howard's alleged managerial achievements in any area of societal life compensate public lies such as about Iraq's weapons of mass distraction, children overboard, Haneef's affair, agreement with Peter Costello etc., and our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan wars?
What are our most precious individual and social values then?
Posted by Andreas Berg', Friday, 6 January 2012 3:14:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep OUG have to agree with Lexi.
Your word game post style is hard work, and no one gets the joy out of it you do, mate.
Every thread touching on politics ends up this way.
Abbott, if he survived and he will not, would be so much worse than Howard it is creepy.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 6 January 2012 4:08:53 PM
Dear rehctub,

There's nothing wrong with being "old school," however
that should not equate with - it's "either my way or
the highway." That sort of attitude tends to put people
off and indicates a somewhat closed mind - a mind that will
be trapped in a time-warp, which could in certain
circumstances be unfortunate for all concerned.

There are many people who work long hours, raise families,
and contribute to society. That's nothing new.

As for "good luck?" Good luck is what almost always comes
to those who have a goal, and never, ever give up until
they achieve it. It's called persistence. The slogan -
"Press On," has solved and always will solve many of the
problems of the human race.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 6 January 2012 4:57:14 PM
Abbott, if he survived and he will not, would be so much worse than Howard it is creepy.

Good call belly. Problem is, Julia is at a constant struggle to even come close to him.

It just goes to show how far we have slipped, don't you think?

Welcome to our race to the bottom we call politics.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 6 January 2012 6:42:36 PM
After having read every post on this topic word for word, (and thanks Andreas Berg), for asking the question, Wobbles, supported by NSB have nailed it for mine, (if that matters to anyone anyway).

Can I say that the Howard tenure in Gov't to me, was a pall. It dragged down my happiness, my productivity,my creativity, (and that is my business), into an a world that perceived Australia internationally, as a hillbilly kingdom subservient to the US, and with that, my national pride, (a bit like losing interest in cricket because of betting). In the end there is nothing to believe in, and never there was.

Yes indeed Andreas, you are correct, Howard was the worst PM we ever had. Losing his own blue ribbon seat proved that categorically. The voters in his own electorate ignored their own natural tendency to vote LNP just to get rid of him. (lol)

They voted for "a tennis player" next time around (in the right guernsey) despite the high profile and influential nature of their local member Maxine McKew; affirming this beyond doubt.

And the fact that he couldn't even get a seat on an international cricket authority since then, confirms the fact in retrospect, "that his own constituents were correct in their judgement.
Posted by thinker 2, Friday, 6 January 2012 9:42:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12