The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Our wonderful ABC

Our wonderful ABC

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Actually Hasbeen I have been disappointed lately with several ABC news programs like News Breakfast and ABC 1026 Radio cover.

The radio cover features comment from the editor of the Australian and other News Ltd journo's and feeds, and Virginia Trioli and Michael Rowland trivialise the news on their morning TV program concentrating on the Twitterverse and text messages filling the program up with views of those whom have such things as a Twitter account. Both presenters attempt to reflect badly on the Gov't, engaging in (believe it or not Hasbeen) anti Gov't bias.

Obviously fiddling with the board and funding of the ABC by the Howard Gov't, has resulted in the rise of people like Chris Uhlman, who spoils a good program, replacing respected presenters like Kerry O'Brien with light weight and opinionated commercial TV like presenters.

If anything Hasbeen and in order that the independence of the the ABC be preserved, funding should be increased and money for in-house production and news reporting restored to its former levels.

If I had the problem of poor reception for the ABC and SBS , I'd probably just not watch television at all, so I do feel for you in that situation Hasbeen.

Perhaps you could write to your local member if your bad reception problem is endemic in your area ?. I live in a regional area (not in WA) and I also have good reception.
Posted by thinker 2, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 7:12:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen, when you fitted the amplifier did the signal improve ?
If it was on analogue the noise, (on screen noise ie little dots all over screen)
should have reduced.
Most modern sets have a signal strength indication in the menu function.
Have you checked that ?
Do your neighbours have high tv masts on their houses ?
Do you ?
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 8:00:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm curious- what exactly is the 'propaganda' in question, if we can have some specific examples?
I think the only difference is that ABC and SBS are the only channels that even touch politics at all.

Also, what are the better shows in question? The cooking shows on ABC/SBS are better, the news and current affairs shows are miles better, they have more documentaries, and generally their program lineup is more informative.
Not to mention half the shows on both focus entirely on regional Australia.
Posted by King Hazza, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 8:14:28 AM
Stop whingeing Hasbeen, and move to the city.

You know you want to, deep down.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 8:42:32 AM
I don't think that the ABC isn't still the best we've got, there is no doubt about that King Hazza, but what I'm really saying is, it now seems more restricted by it's lack funding and this in turn has been used in the past to impinge ideologically on the ABC and SBS alike, by people and Govt's (e.g Howard) that have not supported the independence of our public broadcasters in the past.

People who have necessitated and advocated advertising in place of public funding etc in keeping with their ideological view. I think their influence on public broadcasting is now more evident and actual than before.

The content has changed subtly over time in keeping with change in funding.

The modernisation of the ABC now produces instances in news coverage with and over reliance on commercial feeds etc and a tendency to mimic their commercial counterparts badly. I don't think ABC watchers want to see that anyway.

But media content throughout has changed politically as well and at the same time, with the political right positioning itself successfully as the centre, resulting in change of opinion about carbon pollution for example, or touting views bordering on race discrimination, or stirring up xenophobia and using fear tactics, all the while as a right commentariat froth at the mouth on the sidelines and do so with the smell of govt in their nostrils. The political left are assigned by the commercial media to the lunatic fringe, or portrayed as extremists, hippies, or freaks out of touch with reality.

There are heaps of examples I could cite KH, if I can get the time I'll provide some links.
Posted by thinker 2, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 9:23:29 AM
Oh Thinker, Kerry O'Brien respected? Well I suppose if you are left of Khrushchev you might like his ideas, & presentation.

Bazz we never had a problem with the ABC when it was analogue, often a bit ghosty, but OK, although SBS was a one night in 4 proposition then.

Now with digital, SBS is about 2 in 3/4 nights, often good/bad for an hour or 2, then normal. Digital makes it worse, as it's all or nothing. Previously we could often hear something we couldn't watch.

I have to say that with the expansion of the channels TV has improved dramatically. To fill the time there has been a huge increase in documentaries on the commercials second string stations. This at the same time that the ABC has dropped much documentary stuff, & gone full propaganda, with talking heads, guided by one such as O'Brien, with opinionated fools as guests.

Granted the narrator trying to make a bridge building/demolition dramatic can be a pain, but the content is there, & otherwise things like the ice road in Alaska, or a new cable laying ship is right up my street.

I do have to wonder about sincerity of those praising the ABC, when both the best & worst, [Attenborough/Heartbeat] of ABC programing from the last ten years is now on the commercials. Perhaps their elitism is showing just a little.

I agree about those morning shows, & many "current affair" things on the commercials, with celebrity guests I've never heard of. [Note, must start to watch soaps & "shows"], but no worse than things like Q&A, with equally thick unknown celebrity guests, & an agenda which could make even the strongest stomach loose it.

Regardless of how bad it is, as one who has paid taxes fro a very long time, I should be entitled to get what I have paid for, & have had for 20 years.

Sack Kerry O'Brien, & buy a new transmitter I say.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 12:07:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy