The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > USA gun massacre - we don't need guns.

USA gun massacre - we don't need guns.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 23
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. Page 26
  10. 27
  11. 28
  12. 29
  13. ...
  14. 34
  15. 35
  16. 36
  17. All
Only evidence

Supporting gun ownership

Is acceptable
Posted by Shintaro, Monday, 17 January 2011 2:48:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We have the evidence, Cornflower, but you continue to ignore it.

The US have around 300 million guns, 65 million of them pistols,
some with over 30 shot magazines, assault rifles and the rest.
They continue to shoot each other.

We don't.

The US has tens of thousands of shooting deaths, accidents,
suicides, as their gun culture continues.

We don't.

The billion $ that Howard spent was raised by a 1% tax levy,
specifically for that purpose. So he could not have spent it on
your other ingenious ideas. The public was clearly behind the
programme, no matter how many times you spit the dummy.

The evidence is all there for you.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 17 January 2011 3:04:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cornflower, I second Yabby's post above.

I doubt I am the most 'irrational' or 'emotional' person on this thread ... take a look at your own 'rants'.

At least the bulk of the Australian population believe the same as I do ... we never want the same gun regulations or trigger-happy lifestyle of the Americans.

Common sense and democracy will prevail, thank goodness.
Posted by suzeonline, Monday, 17 January 2011 3:12:15 PM
Yabby

Horses' apples, that is not scientific 'proof' of anything, which is why policy must be evidence-based, as suggested.

In any event the US is irrelevant to Australia which has always had a low incidence of gun crime, the incidence of which was falling before Howard and continued to fall but without any appreciable effect from Howard's 'initiatives'.

The $billion Howard wasted came from taxpayers not from blue sky and yes, it could have been spent on more worthwhile purposes.
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 17 January 2011 3:20:37 PM
*Horses' apples, that is not scientific 'proof' of anything*

Cornflower, its proof enough for most sensible countries of the
world to restrict gun ownership and prevent their citizens from
walking around with pistols in their pocket.

Even a freedom loving publication as the Economist, concedes that
US gun laws are a disaster.

Its also clearly enough proof for most Australians, for most
supported the legislation at the time. But keep spitting your
dummy
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 17 January 2011 4:32:30 PM
Cornflower:

I regret that you viewed my last post as an "attack" on yourself. Dear me, It was not intended as such at all. I merely made an observation based on your own posts. I'm a firm believer that it is always best to argue in a logical manner. Sound reasoning will conquer unreasonable generalisations every time. However, from experience, I've learned that it's also best not to sound too dogmatic otherwise you may be deemed to be pig-headed and will subsequently be ignored - especially if statistics have been given backing the authenticity of a person's opinions - such as - Yabby's. Finally at all times it's best to remain calm. (No one likes or supports, an illogical or abusive debater - that I've also learned from experience).
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 17 January 2011 6:02:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 23
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. Page 26
  10. 27
  11. 28
  12. 29