The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > USA gun massacre - we don't need guns.

USA gun massacre - we don't need guns.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 33
  7. 34
  8. 35
  9. Page 36
  10. All
Yes indeed Cornflower, neuroscience is one of my hobbies, I have
mentioned it many times on OLO. You have buckleys of figuring
out human behaviour, if you have no understanding about the how
the mind works. And the how mind works, is what the brain does.

You could always start here:

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/neurok.html

Your article made some valid points. Heroin, which was hugely
expensive, is less the drug of choice these days. Dope, Speed
or Ekkies seem to be the popular ones and they are cheap. So less
crime due to less heroin addiction makes sense.

But it sounds to me like the NSW bureaucrats would like some more
money to do their study.

It seems we have a Federal agency already funded for the job.
Perhaps you could write to them.

There is no need for NSW to reinvent the wheel.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 30 January 2011 8:57:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quite droll to observe

Cornflower's ambivalence

About this issue
Posted by Shintaro, Sunday, 30 January 2011 9:17:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JParker to Cornflower <" I was planning on giving you a Glock 17 9mm for Christmas - should I rethink?"

Lol! I must say I thought this thread had hit a brick wall ages ago.
Obviously I was wrong.

Shintaro and Yabby are still taking pot shots at Cornflower :)
I doubt if anything we say will change his mind really.

At the end of the day, the previous gun buyback scheme, and the current situation of gun ownership laws in this country seem to have kept USA-type gun deaths and 'shoot-em-up' lifestyles out of our country so far.
Imagine how much more good we could achieve if we got rid of ALL non-essential gun ownership?

I don't care if money was wasted (at least in your eyes) Cornflower, as long as we keep the vast number of average households from keeping guns in their houses.
They are far too easy to steal, and far too easy to just pick up and shoot someone if anything goes wrong- and ask questions later.

By then it is too late.

Gee, I think I am being emotional again... :)
Posted by suzeonline, Sunday, 30 January 2011 11:25:21 PM
suzeonline, "Gee, I think I am being emotional again"

I will agree if you add clueless, making it 'emotional and clueless'.

Because you obviously haven't even bothered to read the replies to your own thread. At least read this,

<Everybody knows there is violence although the amount might be poorly estimated by some. For example, in Australia criminologists wonder why people, especially women, have become so fearful and even restrict their activities and those of their children when crime rates have been falling.

"In Australia, studies have shown a substantial proportion of the population incorrectly believe crime rates are increasing when, in fact, they are stable or declining (Weatherburn & Indermaur 2004). Research has found that women, older people and more poorly educated people hold less accurate perceptions of actual crime rates than those who are male, younger and more highly educated (Indermaur & Roberts 2005)."
and
"The discrepancy between the crime rate and the public's perceived crime rate has been commonly attributed to the expansive media coverage of crime, especially violent and more sensationalised crime (Duffy et al. 2008)."
(Mis)perceptions of crime in Australia
Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology, July 2010>
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=4217&page=30

and this,

"There is no correlation whatsoever between the legal ownership of firearms and gun associated crime in Australia. In fact the opposite seems to apply.

Historically, gun crime has always been very low in Australia and the trend was downwards before Howard's spend and after.

There is no correlation whosoever between the incidence of crime in any other country and Australia.

Crime in Australia is continuing to drop and dropped substantially after the trade in drugs was interrupted and with simple changes to make cars more thief proof.
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/half-as-many-murders-and-nobody-knows-why-20100611-y3fo.html

In this and in all other areas of regulation, government should base policy on evidence and rigorously measure the results. It is a fact that Howard's buy-back and gun laws were a complete waste of taxpayers' money and a continuing waste of police resources.>
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=4217&page=34

But no-one could change your mind once it is made up now could they? Whoops, back into that rut you go.
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 31 January 2011 12:51:31 AM
Cornflower <"But no-one could change your mind once it is made up now could they? Whoops, back into that rut you go."

Ditto...
Posted by suzeonline, Monday, 31 January 2011 11:28:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 33
  7. 34
  8. 35
  9. Page 36
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy