The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Unreasonable Religious Guilt

Unreasonable Religious Guilt

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. All
David f you write
'I regard the Bible in the same light as I regard other books. .

Other books don't describe your the human heart and motivations accurately like the bible does. Other books also fail to show you how you can be cleansed from your rottenness. The bible describe all men as liars and the only exception was Christ Himself. I think it is much wiser to listen to Him rather than your twisted view on the world and God's character.
Posted by runner, Monday, 21 September 2009 9:53:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why do the religious make statements like "thinking you know better than God" to an Atheist?

Surely that is an impossible scenario.

I agree david f although some of the 'lessons' have merit from an altruistic point of view. Lust is an interesting one given that we need to have lust to be able to continue the species. Perhaps it is only bad when you lust for your neighbours wife? There are some good messages in the Bible in regards to greed and envy but they are delivered in such a violent tone of retribution and fear.

Even if the Bible were less bizarre (the version I read was barbaric), there is a tendency I have noticed, with some religious folk merely to make up their own rules to suit. The rise of groups like Hillsong and evangelical groups in the US is evidence that even religion holds no higher moral ground on greed, but can actually foster it.

I worked with a very religious man who used to overcharge his clients and underpay his workers so that he could pay a tithe to his Church and still be able to buy properties. He also made a lot of money and used to argue that God would want his followers to do well not just be meek and poor - (even if they were rip-offs?).

People will rationalise what they will to justify their own behaviour or greed, religious or not.

This is not to take away from those religious folk who do live good lives (do no harm) just as those who achieve the same through other means and spiritual values.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 21 September 2009 9:53:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I once saw a T-shirt with the words:

"Seven deadly sins ...
Why stop at Seven?"

And another with:

"If there are Ten Commandments,
why only Seven Deadly Sins?"

I guess it's all relative.
Commandments come from the Bible, Deadly sins from the
early Church ... Right Forrest?

Whether one follows a set religion, or not, whether
one believes or not, is a personal matter (- to each
his own), as long as your beliefs don't harm anyone
else. I wouldn't presume to judge other people's
beliefs. Nor do I want to convert anyone to my own.
(Although I know my earlier Headmistress, Sister Mary
Virgilius - wouldn't agree with me).

What I do know is - I have a conscience for a reason,
and I try to act accordingly. I don't always succeed -
but I'll keep on trying to be a decent human being.

As for lust - I try to keep that under control (giggle).
The same goes for the other deadly sins. As I wrote in my
weight thread - "everything in moderation.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 21 September 2009 12:07:30 PM
*The fact that you think you know more than God shows what state your heart is in*

No runner, the real problem is that you actually think that you know
what god thinks. Osama bin Laden thinks the same and frankly neither
of you have a scrap of substantiated evidence. In your case you
won't even acknowledge that the heart is little more then a pump,
that we can replace it with another heart, or a mechanical heart
and it does not make a scrap of difference to a person's character.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 21 September 2009 12:08:25 PM
Excellent points Davidf.

Pride, Wrath, Envy, Lust are emotional responses

Gluttony, Avarice and Sloth; behavioural.

Pride:

The creating guilt out of the first four "sins" definitely enables control over people. Nothing worse than seeing a child's glowing face when they have completed or created something reduced to tears when told by some 'adult' that "pride goeth before a fall".

Taking pride in either our achievements or our loved ones is a positive and progressive emotion whereas arrogance is the problem. An example of arrogance is Runner describing Davidf as "rotten" because David does not follow Runner's version of religion and has the temerity to critique religion.

Wrath:

If someone tells me they never get angry, I think I am looking at a liar. Anger is necessary if we are to assert ourselves, rather than be a doormat. While it is normal to FEEL anger, it is unwise to ACT in anger.

Envy:

I have felt envious of and happy for friends simultaneously, wishing I could've achieved or done something as impressive yet happy to know that it is someone dear to me who has. Admiration perhaps?

Lust:

Without it where would capitalism or advertising be? Hmmmm, must think further on that.
But sexual desire, as others have noted we would never reproduce without it.

Gluttony:

Eating too much, as David said is behaviour and can be modified.

Sloth:

Some people are without a doubt lazy, but then that is a judgement, one person's lazy might be another's required relaxation. I love reading, some people think that sitting reading is doing nothing AKA lazy.

Avarice:

Best to give example; far too many CEO's. People who award themselves huge pay rises while expecting lower level staff to take pay-cuts. Not unlike the examples Pelican gave. How much money and power is enough? How many homes can one live in? Cars can one drive? Businesses owned before it is pointless? Denying a fair deal for others, in favour of ones own personal requirements is poor behaviour indeed.

Seems to me that many Christians like to talk-the-talk, but fail to walk-the-walk.
Posted by Fractelle, Monday, 21 September 2009 12:14:32 PM
Welcome to the diatribe, Fractelle!

I scrolled the sermon line by line,
it getting better and better all the time.
When my eyes first on the words did light,
the userID was out of sight.
So when at last it hove in view,
it gave new insight. Who are you?

I hesitate to suggest where else you may find some of such sentiments expressed. Something to do with camels and needles comes to mind.

All I can say is be very, very careful as to who you might be traveling with, if you should ever take the road to Emmaus.

And Psst. According to the wordcount in my Gedit, you have beaten the OLO word limit with a total of 358 to your credit.

You must have real Ubuntu!
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Monday, 21 September 2009 1:46:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18