The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What do you think should be done about 'breeding pure breeds to death' for cosmetics?

What do you think should be done about 'breeding pure breeds to death' for cosmetics?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 21
  14. 22
  15. 23
  16. All
Thanks for your reply, Rusty.

Yes, I know the breed you're referring to with the rolls. I think it's called a basset hound and it can have a similar colouring to the tri-coloured beagle, hence the understandable mixing of the two breeds. So pleased to know the beagle wasn't featured. Phew!

As much as I adore beagles, I had already thought, like Fractelle, that if I ever get another dog, I'll go to a refuge first and look at giving an abandoned dog a home.

Some great comments above. I've wondered a few times lately if Protagoras was you, Dickie, but your contribution to this thread has left me in absolutely no doubt! Reading your posts is like watching that show the other night - painful, but enlightening - and very valuable if we are going to help bring about change. Thank you as always.

I heard a promo on the ABC tonight for Catalyst this Thursday. Apparently, there's to be a segment relating to the fallout from the pedigree dogs doco. Could be well worth a look I'd say.
Posted by Bronwyn, Monday, 14 September 2009 11:26:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, Protagoras all
Oh dear,
Fractelle specifically said quote "no-one should not be buying from breeders. There is a plethora of unwanted animals at shelters requiring a home right now."
To a literal mind like mine this doesn't differentiate between good and bad breeders.
I Didn't say that buying dogs from RSPCA is a bad idea. The KEY is balance.
F. specifically stated as above. I, on the other hand didn't mention the RSPCA. One is definite (if unintentional), the other is a supposition. Again with the 'the absence of one extreme = the other" fallacy.

NB. I'M IN FAVOUR OF BUYING AN RSPCA MUTT WHERE POSSIBLE however there are some circumstances that certain breeds with certain specific natural skills are preferable.
Like it or not certain breed do have breed specific superior skills.
See the list of activities I gave.
Then there's freedom of choice . But this does not justify the abominable practices.
This means specific breed Breeders are necessary.
The trick is how do we reduce the extreme practices. I've suggested a few means, tell me the flaws in that you see or come up with better ideas.
Group hug is a good idea I'm sulking now :-( ….better now. :-)
PS I've taken note of the criticisms.

PP all
If only it were true that the majority of breeders (all types)of dogs ( any breed) did loved them too much. Some owners do, but many breeders tend to see dogs as as a means of their fame and prestige, power or money. The non KCC breeders we saw were just after the money. A bit like some stage parents.

I think the the 'standards should be re written (changed) by vets not breeders. These standards should be monitored enforced for the show ring . (This precludes dogs with life threatening genetic faults in breeding etc.. ) Shows could then be the motivation for breeders to undo their appalling breeding practices to really improve the breeds. Making health etc. as a prime requirement.
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 15 September 2009 12:12:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I forgot something or didn’t say it loud enough earlier:

Predictability is of huge importance to some people…(well okay me)

I don’t want a dog from a shelter that bites the head off a baby soon after walking through the door, no experienced person at a shelter or dog pound sends them out with absolute guarantees and I would never expect them to.

And I don’t’ want a puppy without knowing its eventual and approximate height and bulk. I want to know if they are from a particularly stupid breed or known vicious or noisy breed. I can’t have stupid little yappy things that wake small children up at night. It cannot cause any allergies in children that could arrive. I don’t like dog hair all over the place either or the usual doggy smell.

My requirements in a pet are specific and demand a specific breed.

I want to know as much about something as I can before I invest up to 20 years in sharing my life with it.

Yes I’m still talking about dogs!

And considering the horrific amounts vets charge I want one that has been checked so not inclined to develop diseases. I would have thought hereditary diseases would be bred out by the better kennels.

But then I thought humans would have been jiggy with that one too by now. And I don’t understand painful/unhealthy mutations being bred in.

That is two different things aye - disease compared to cosmetic mutation? And any law about animal health or safety would be ignored and under-policed like they are now anyways.

I have the dogs for the kids, they bring out something in children that nothing else does and I couldn’t afford a dolphin.

Hey Protagoras, I didn’t mean to sound offended.[smile] Those puppy mills are horrible. Not what I would call a “breeder” that I have bought from. Mine weren’t from shops. Labradoodle were originally for a purpose – blind allergic peoples. But the shmoodles, cockapoo, whoodle,scnoodles, spoodle, shitipoo, cavodoodle, groodle, jackroodle, westypoo…cute – maybe it will help the breeds get a bit more diverse?
Posted by The Pied Piper, Tuesday, 15 September 2009 7:13:05 AM
G'Day All,
This post has raised the issue of breeders & breeds of dogs.
What about the Merle breeders that will breed an entire litter to try & get one that may be able to be kept the rest of the litter will get put down because of deformities(blind,deaf & body deformities).
These breeders know that the breeding of the Merles is extremely hard to get pups that have nothing wrong with them.
You all should know the breed of dog they are the ones with the one blue eye & one green eye. These dogs are Collies working dogs but they are bred for nothing more than human satisfaction.
Would humans be considered good parents if they knew they had genetic problems that gave rise to deformities & had child after child knowing that they were continually bringing children into the world that are going to need full time care I think not.
I am not saying people should not take the chance on having a child.
Every woman deserves the right to be a mother & every man has the right to be a father.
Thanks have a good life from Dave
Posted by dwg, Tuesday, 15 September 2009 8:49:49 AM
I tried hard to resist, honestly I did.

But to me, this whole discussion is off key.

Is it better to breed your own slaves, coupling selected samples for specific work - say, in the cotton fields, or in the kitchen preparing chittlins or whatever. Or do you buy them at auction, and take pot luck.

Keeping animals for our personal pleasure has to be on a par with slavery, as one of the most unattractive traits of supposedly civilized human beings.

Thanks, I feel better now.

Have a great day.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 15 September 2009 10:39:14 AM
Foxy

Your understanding and comments are very welcome.

As a fellow Melbournian, you would be familiar with the Lort Smith Animal Shelter and the Lost Dogs Home. I have worked in both. I favour the Lost Dogs Home as they do not place animals up for adoption unless the animal passes both health and temperament evaluations. And then they will take care to ensure that the animal goes to an appropriate household (no Rottweilers for little old ladies). As a result of this procedure, the animals you see in the adoption areas will remain there until they are found a home. This also means that euthanasia is performed within a couple of days of arrival at the home. My job was to clean out cages, feed and litter trays of all as well as providing a kind hand and cuddle and 'walkies'. As one worker pointed out to me, when I was particularly tearful over a proud and very ancient retriever, its final days were warm, comfortable and well fed and even loved for a short time.

I see no reason why regulations cannot be placed on breeders to ensure healthy animals - they can breed for health as easily as for aesthetics. I am hoping the public attention will finally achieve what should have occurred years ago; limits on the fanciful excesses of (some) breeders.

Exam

I am sure you now understand that I was not calling for a moratorium on ALL breeders - we all make mistakes and are sometimes ambiguous. I am not in the habit of calling for complete bans on anything (with the significant exceptions of rapists and paedophiles). Could you please move on and discuss your topic rather than critique the literary skills (or lack thereof) of other posters. Thank you.
Posted by Fractelle, Tuesday, 15 September 2009 10:52:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...