The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Faking It

Faking It

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All
Dear Houellebecq,

Don't flatter yourself - you don't
know anything at all!

However, this book might help:

"Faking it," by William Ian Miller.
Cambridge University Press, 2003.
ISBN 0-521-83018-4.

You might need a dictionary though (- there's words
with more than one syllable throughout the book).
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 25 August 2009 5:02:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think one under God was faking it in that post.
I did say it may only be me, but I understand we would kill each other if we did not sometimes fake it.
But I also see true lies true faking and am less than happy with it.
True story 20 years ago young well liked police man, involved in a fatal smash.
One dead, he was legless but ok, truth is he did nothing wrong, I saw another car panic as he tried to stop a speeding third one and slam on its brakes.
We all, a road crew spoke to him, all on side , his side.
A year after and he was back at work, the crew gathered around his car, playing with his siren and headlights, sharing a laugh.
After he drove away he never spoke to me again, I still think he is a good bloke, but could not join in with a crew that played with him, laughed with him and after he left said he was a murderer.
So I walked away.
I understand PP about young girls, old ones too and men talk much the same.
But falseness is, well I am comfortable to be who I am and with others who are happy in their own skins.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 25 August 2009 5:29:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PP
I didn't mean pretending as such in a marriage merely accepting that which we cannot change and level of importance in the context of blissful marital relations.

My husband always know what I really think and I don't lie to him even if he doesn't really want to know. :)

Belly
I also don't like the false greetings that some bandy around like "Darling" when you hardly know the person and the false air kisses on the cheek. Thankfully my work no longer brings me into too much contact with those types.

Houlley
In reference to your links. Those articles are right to some degree but nothing is ever that simple. The APS is a large organisation broken up into many parts with different cultures and management styles. The main problem I find is that one is not meant to rock the boat or raise ethical concerns - this is a no no if your job or career really matters.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 25 August 2009 6:16:44 PM
Houel:”.. I think chicks have some strange social rules.”

Gawd yeah... rather walk on my own lips that hurt some fem’s feelings on purpose. Over the years I have tried to maybe stare people in a better direction and not so much of the “you’re talking shite you twat”. Problem would be girls also become violent.

Not so much damage is caused compared to men when there is a hate on. Men will stay well away from each other, women reach an agreement generally to not cause too much damage to features. I think they have to get angrier than most men to reach boiling.

Last physical disagreement I had (about 10 years ago now) some chick said something (hey it was about kids, admittedly her own, but still!), I ran at her, two of my friends grabbed me one each side and the cow came right down the middle and punched me in the face while I was pinned. She got a good kicking though. I saw her a few days later and we compared bruises and had an embarrassed girly giggle.

I don’t talk weather, that’s the opener and I return with a “where are you from, what’s your name, where do you work, how is life, what’s the scar from…” people run screaming from me in general.

That drawing stuff was the funniest Houel… brilliant, loved it, and it is so what I am often thinking. I do paint on canvas a lot with kids, have to fess up – some are just amazing as group abstracts.

Hey Houel hon, you go read the book Foxy suggested and give me your translation when done please.

Pelican, as Pelicans do that went right over my head. Isn’t accepting a form of faking it? Is it a form of resigning yourself to something or is it a sacrifice for peace? Might be a “pick your battles” type thing? I miss all faults when hubby isn’t around. Well not the shoe thing, gawd that makes me nato.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Tuesday, 25 August 2009 6:47:01 PM
PP: “Not so much damage is caused compared to men when there is a hate on. Men will stay well away from each other, women reach an agreement generally to not cause too much damage to features. I think they have to get angrier than most men to reach boiling.”

So what is it they say about a woman scorned? Or is that only about what they do to men and not to each other?
Posted by Seeker, Tuesday, 25 August 2009 8:16:58 PM
I wouldn't think so Pied. Faking it would imply an untruth or pretending everything is okay when it is not.

Accepting is part of a marriage as is compromise. Nothing is ever perfect in a relationship and if you value the whole, the small details are just nitpicking and not important in the grand scheme of things.

On another tangent, manners might be seen as a form of fakery, but I think they are important in keeping relationships cordial and respectful. Even if you don't like someone for whatever reason, they still possess feelings - all back to the old adage of treating others as you would wish to be treated.

It raises an interesting discussion. Personally, I think one can possess manners and still be honest - it is all in the delivery.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 25 August 2009 9:22:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All