The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Budgie-smugglers banned

Budgie-smugglers banned

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
‘They’ve long divided public opinion and now speedos and other tight swimming briefs have been banned from a UK water park.

Major tourist attraction Alton Towers says the minute male swimwear is inappropriate for a family venue. Dubbed the battle of the bulge, the park wants visitors to wear less revealing board shorts instead.

Even in Queensland surf lifesaving officials have introduced uniform board shorts as an alternative swimwear to the traditional too-much-information speedos.’

(Courier Mail 12 August)

Dear oh dear oh dear!

Prudery raises its ugly head!

The Poms can have their prudish attitudes if they must but please, we don’t want that sort of thing in sunny Queensland!

Anyone interested in expressing a view?
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 14 August 2009 8:35:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig I posted this over on one of the other threads but it might be relevent here as well, the other extreme http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8197917.stm

So on the one hand mens attire which covers the bulge is banned because there is to much information and womens attire which covers almost everything and possibly does not provide enough information is banned across the channel. Given how widely rash shirts and board shorts are worn as swimming attire the health risk angle looks like a convenient excuse.

If it's a privately owned (and not getting government support) business I've not got any great objections to them setting their own rules. I'm also assuming that a water park is different to a place where people go to swim laps (where board shorts are very awkward).

I do get concerned by what appears to be a growing trend to prudishness and trying to individual choices about attire.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 14 August 2009 10:20:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Budgie smugglers" - what great Aussie terminology!

I remember the phrase being dropped at work once, when one of our bosses came in and expressed complete puzzlement at what it meant.

"Well they're about the right size and they move around the right amount", I hinted. Still, there was no flicker of recognition.

Ah well, the world's full of different people. Everyone to their own, I reckon.
Posted by RobP, Friday, 14 August 2009 10:31:54 AM
The regulation is clearly sexist and should be chalenged in the courts.

Men are not allowed to wear as little as they like but women are allowed to wear the briefest of bikinis.
Posted by ponde, Friday, 14 August 2009 10:32:15 AM
all hell is planned to break out[22nd]...and the best topic we got is smuggling ppp-ricks...no comment worthy of reply in two days..my other forums gone cold...and i got nothing to say

we could have been questioning question time question but moderator couldnt get the cryptic topic ...so topic refused...well we all got the import of this topic...via placaebo affect..the question we get when we want to put questening minds back to sleep

we just had a boat full if lumber go missing..[ater spending two weeks loading at a secret base]...so where does the sailing time allow it to go to in the time pre the next set up 911...being set up to distract the demolishing of iran by...you guessed it...or maybe you dont...

anyhow dont say you didnt read the signs...blind freedy could...as long as he isnt... asleep...or hynotised by smugg leers in boat sized budgies going their planck time..yet again

budgie smugglers indeed...you know where you can stick it?
Posted by one under god, Friday, 14 August 2009 10:35:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One under God,

I know who stole you lumber!!
Posted by ponde, Friday, 14 August 2009 11:43:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy