The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Sport and sex scandals

Sport and sex scandals

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 59
  12. 60
  13. 61
  14. All
Firstly I must say that I do not like what has happened however, why is his brother still accepted and portrayed as a 'hero' when what he has done must be far worse a case of 'poor role modeling' to young fans.

Group sex is not illegal unles without consent. Drugs are illegal.

This smells of 'double standards' to me.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 14 May 2009 9:14:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's interesting that a retired football player looses his current job for a consentual sexual activity in the past when other high profile people have been treated quite differently.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/in-depth/dirty-politics/2007/08/20/1187462173845.html (see page 2 as well)

John's is not the firts person to have come from a work trip with some explaining to do with his or her partner. He won't be the last.

His involvement appears to have been in a consensual context. There was an imbalance of power in the room but I doubt that it was anywhere near the imbalance of power when the PM verbally abused a young low ranked military person because a meal was not as expected.

So far there has been no real indication that any of the players acted illegally and plenty of indication that they will suffer real harm if named.

The moralising from many who would be outraged if this was directed at participants in some other unusual sexual activity is very telling.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 14 May 2009 9:16:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25477148-421,00.html

This story add a bit of intrigue to the present debate.

If the witness is correct, then what we clearly have here
is two standards, one for girls and one for boys.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 14 May 2009 10:13:25 PM
Dear Yabby,

Pay attention!

Take the blame out,
and focus on the problem!
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 14 May 2009 10:50:27 PM
dear Foxy,

The perception of a problem, is very much in the eye of the beholder.

As a freedom loving individual, I don't expect others to live by
my opinions, my standards or my rules. I am not that judgemental.

First question, did anyone break the law? It seems not.

Second question, did anyone think there was a problem on the night
in question? It seems not.

Where we seem to have a problem is that somebody later changed their
mind, if the evidence is correct.

Rather then take responsibility for their actions, as the rest of
us do when we make a mistake, we get over it and move on, in this
case that is not happening.

Ah, of course that is the easy option. Blame everyone else when we
screw up, rather then sit down and honestly admit to ourselves that
we got it wrong.

Frankly, what footballers, women over 18 or anyone else does in their
time, is their business, not my business.

So where is the problem?
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 14 May 2009 11:15:06 PM
Perhaps the problem here is that one of the seven people involved in an act that is frowned upon by mainstream society has decided to use that act to ruin the life of one of the other participants. Maybe the act has ruined her life - I don't know - but all of the evidence presented by the media indicates that she was a voluntary participant and that she needs to share the blame with the others.

Which leads to another problem. The media, smelling a great story and terrific ratings potential, have absolutely no qualms about destroying people's lives to earn a quick buck.
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 14 May 2009 11:49:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 59
  12. 60