The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Peak

The Peak

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The Peak

It occurred to me the other day when looking at the biography and reviews of musicians, authors, anyone creative, that it seems there a few stages that are progressed through. Usually I can outline one 'peak' of the artist's work. That book or album that represented the artist at the peak of their powers. The work preceding this peak is normally nearly as good, better in parts, but rougher on the whole. Some prefer this stage to the 'peak', maybe not for the whole but for that one aspect of it.

Sometimes this peak is in dispute, but a lot of the time it really sticks out. I remember a quote from Mike Leigh's 'Naked', where the main character was fearful that he'd 'already had the best part of his life.' This would really be amplified if you art was your life and that you know whatever you created it would never come up to the peak. I wonder if this is related to the stereotype of the artist's depression.

I see a few parrallels with people's lives in general, even orgasm, drugs. What can be gained from artists work after their peak? Is it a settling, a resignation, a sad attempt akin to an aging man's toupe. And what about in your own life? Is it really better to die young rather than be tortured by what you can no longer achieve or kid yourself that what you have now is just as good.

The body deteriorates and so does the sharpness of the brain, replaced by knowledge and experience to compensate, but maybe for some that's not an acceptable trade.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 7 May 2009 12:19:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
as reluctant as we may be to discuss the topic the peak is relitive[the fall is obvious]but the fall brings the stars back to earth

we are too easilly infatuated by the 'stars' at their peak..[it damages their ego[they believe their own pr]thus we get those egotistic faulse gods[spoiled brats]the golden child,who get scared by the smallest human inperfection

i long ago made peace with my humanity,the more rare victories now get the greater appriciation,..but victories while more rare are now as simple as getting out of bed or responding to a post..[or returning kindness for kindlessness]

the peak is over-rated[as i think you infact did affirm]and as is said many a fine tune is played on that old fiddle,..sure the old buttons people used to be able to push dont allways get the same response..[but the knowing that we all meet that great equaliser[time]somehow makes life more bearable
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 7 May 2009 2:29:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“The body deteriorates and so does the sharpness of the brain, replaced by knowledge and experience to compensate, but maybe for some that's not an acceptable trade.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 7 May 2009 12:19:35 PM”

“the peak is over-rated[as i think you in fact did affirm]and as is said many a fine tune is played on that old fiddle,..Sure the old buttons people used to be able to push don’t always get the same response..[But the knowing that we all meet that great equaliser [time] somehow makes life more bearable
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 7 May 2009 2:29:26 PM”

Gosh, I wish I could meet you both just so I could bang your heads together. What I would give to have your brains. Whether at your so called peaks or 20 years after you’re both parked up pondering the unacceptable trade or the great equaliser’s arrival;

I desperately need to know about the law, how things get done in government, who can help. I am busy reading everything here, trying to work out how to do things and I have a terrible time keeping up with you all but I am trying very hard to learn.

I foster little children in NSW. Justice Woods wrote a report and now “they” are going to move all the little children to NGO’s where profits will be made by children being bought in to care.

Privatising child care! Profit from young humans of all colours and creeds.

It is worse than exporting animals, intellectual prostitutes, intensive farming, how slow the site is, cigarettes, free speech, or whether some idiot came back on as Austin instead of Jack.

Before the Woods thing I watched little children and carers and parents being treated very badly within this system and I realised I don’t know enough and probably aren’t smart enough to do anything. Even if you’ve peeked you’re clever and required. You both understand and gasp concepts I never even heard about.
Posted by Jewely, Thursday, 7 May 2009 4:05:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Houellebecq,

Another interesting thread.

My life has certainly had its peaks, as well as its
lows. And I'm not finished yet. Not by a long shot.
I'm not even half way through. There's nothing wrong
with reaching for the stars. Ah, the reminders of
childhood. "Better to reach for the stars and miss,
than reach for a mud puddle and make it." (sorry,
I can't remember who said it).

I'm convinced that the path to happiness is to be
really all that you can be. When you're young
you've got strong beliefs as well as your own
insecurities. Then you're less tolerant
and more afraid. As you grow older, you're more
willing to let others shine.

I believe for me, the best is yet to come.
I believe the roads I choose will be paved with concrete
not quicksand. One of the advantages of growing older is -
I no longer feel guilty for being who I am.

My parents were great levelers. They taught me that no
matter who we are, sometimes things don't always work out
the way we want. But that's allright, something better
could be just around the corner.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 7 May 2009 4:44:56 PM
studies found that during dreaming humans use more their brain than solving a dificult nath or any other problem.
More we use our brain more we develope it. More dreams we have, more developed brain we have.
Which and when people are dreamers? young or older, women or men, poor or rich, educated or less educated, religious or non religious, etc?
If we call The Peak the peak use of our brain then the findings will be very surprising!
Some people never stop dreameing, for them The Peak will be just before they will leave the earth to enter into the hell, (hell is the place I will go when I will die)
For most people The Peak is when they start to thing to create family, children etc.
For artists, poets, painters etc The Peak comes late in their life but for most people The Peak is when they are 28-36 years old.
It is not easy to find when is The Peak for one person, especialy for an artist, writer or poet.
The work on the peak is not very popular as it is very complex and more difficult to understand it.

Houellebecq, do you know when the trojan horses (that's me!) are on The Peak?
Probably never!
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaid
Posted by ASymeonakis, Thursday, 7 May 2009 7:49:47 PM
jewelry quote<<I desperately need to know about the law,how things get done in government,who can help.I am busy reading everything here,trying to work out how to do things and I have a terrible time keeping up with you all but I am trying very hard to learn.

I foster little children in NSW. Justice Woods wrote a report and now “they” are going to move all the little children to NGO’s where profits will be made by children being bought in to care.

Privatising child care! Profit from young humans of all colours and creeds.

Before the Woods thing I watched little children and carers and parents being treated very badly within this system>>

while i would like to help..here are some search results from the world freeman society that might help out better[at the site in the header is a link to another site TFF[think free forum]the topic has been discussed there[google the search box is available to site members only ,but the links should link to the topic for anyone [i selected them as i went from 50 so the 3 topics i selected for you will be duplicated

as to the rest of your post i cant make head nor tails of it..[but such is old age]
http://www.worldfreemansociety.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=722&p=3230&hilit=+child+services#p3230
http://www.worldfreemansociety.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=684&p=7292&hilit=child+services#p7292
http://www.worldfreemansociety.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=684&p=3009&hilit=+child+services#p3009
http://www.worldfreemansociety.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=293&p=996&hilit=+child+services#p996
http://www.worldfreemansociety.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=160&p=412&hilit=+child+services#p412
http://www.worldfreemansociety.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1057&p=5462&hilit=+child+services#p5462
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 7 May 2009 9:23:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy