The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Have the Libs. lost the plot?

Have the Libs. lost the plot?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 38
  11. 39
  12. 40
  13. All
Well Ludwig you asked, do not devalue my comment because I am ALP.
Swan concerns me, Rudd thrills me.
I am content on this matter Turnbull has far less support than Rudd, internationally.
His actions assure me of another election victory for the ALP.
This world crisis has its roots in greed, criminal activity and merchant bankers run riot.
If just the dollars lost in Australian super funds could be returned to the economy we would be throwing a great deal more at the problem than we are.
Turnbull is a merchant banker how could you trust any of them?
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 8 February 2009 2:43:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The caution expressed by Ludwig and Meredith is well founded.

Apparently the incumbent labor government is taking advise from a past prime minister, Paul Keating.

If we are to base fiscal prudence, including the ability to read the signs and future indicators, financially speaking

The first question (rhetorical) to ask is

The state of the economy on the close of Keatings government ?

The state of the economy on the close of the Coalition government ?

What the incumbent government has “achieved” since ?

So to the question

“are there good reasons for their (liberal opposition) behaviour?”

Going on their successful record in government and their position the house,

I would think it was naïve in the extreme to presume they would not

Kowtow to the Krudd/Keating economic misinterpretations / misrepresentations of the facts or

have a range of far better strategies and tactics to deal with any crisis at any time on any topic.

I read the news papers … is Turnbull out of touch etc… because he is not falling into line with Krudd.

I do not expect the leading party in opposition to not challenge and debate the government proposals,

It is in part, why they are there.

Having seem recent screw-ups of policy by Krudd & Co… the bank guarantee fiasco, which caused a run on the superfunds and the “less than stellar” success of the last “stimulus package, for example

It is only by trying to question the wisdom of the incumbent government that we might avoid another debacle.

Then we get down to the public perceptions

If Turnbull follows along, he is seen as weak

If Turnbull objects he is seen as apparently negative and out of touch today

But tomorrow or the day after, when we see another glorious failure of economic policy and the ghost of Keating casting his shadow of doom across the nation,

Turnbull will be the one, still sat in opposition and saying

“Don’t blame me, I told you so.

Maybe you should think where to place your cross for the next election”
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 8 February 2009 5:11:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Col,you and I have warned about Kevin's flaws for some time.The stimulus package will not work if Kevin is incapable of showing positive leadership.What a stupid psychology to warn about how bad things will get,depressing expectation even more,then throw money around which most will either save or pay off their mortages.

So the banks get more cash and the money does not lubricate the economy.

The title should read,"Labor has lost the plot."
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 8 February 2009 6:55:51 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well I tend to think that the rudd gov failed to learn from the previous bail out as much of this money was in fact wasted.

Try this as a solution;
Rather than hand out money why not allow every eligable person to go into thier local medicare office, present thier ELIGABLE receipt (yet to be determined) and receive a refund of a pre-determined percentage of its value.

Now they could do this for as long as it takes until their allocation is exhausted.

Let's say;
100% for schooling needs
100% for other essensial items purchased, with the redemption rate falling according to the allowable percentage of each item as determined by the regulators.

Don't you think this would be a better way. At least the kids would receive a decent meal as grog, cigs and gambling would be excluded.

Hey we could even expand a system like this for ALL FAMILY ASSISTANCES PAYMENTS.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 8 February 2009 7:41:32 AM
I think it’s Labour who has lost the plot–short-term electoral popularity is not what it's about. Many voters are under the misapprehension that Labours giving away freebies.

When they wake up to the fact that it’s their money Labours hastily handing out , and they or their children will have to pick up the tab –how long will this popularity last?
Posted by Horus, Sunday, 8 February 2009 7:53:14 AM
“What a stupid psychology to warn about how bad things will get,depressing expectation even more,then throw money around which most will either save or pay off their mortages. So the banks get more cash and the money does not lubricate the economy.”

YES Arjay!

This stimulus package might have some effect but it would be SO inefficient, with an enormous amount of money being sidelined from the main purpose of stimulating economic turnover.

The money needs to be spent in a manner that much more directly helps those in need.

Why not double the dole or something like that, so that those who lose their jobs can get by? Unemployment payments are less than half of the minimum wage. Money put straight into the pockets of those who need it most when times are tough is money that will go straight back into the economy, to a much greater extent than with the current proposal.

Yes, this is a reactive strategy. But it has the great advantage of putting the money directly where it is needed. If it is conducted in association with proactive stuff as well, then we’d really be on the right track.

And for goodness sake, when is Rudd going to drop the immigration rate? Given that jobs are so important, how is it possible that he can be maintaining this horrendously huge influx of people, the vast majority of which need jobs!?

We need an immediate moratorium on immigration.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 8 February 2009 8:44:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 38
  11. 39
  12. 40