The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Have the Libs. lost the plot?

Have the Libs. lost the plot?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 38
  8. 39
  9. 40
  10. All
Malcolm Turnbull and his party are not fully supporting
the bail out package of our PM. The same is happening
with the Republicans in the US.

Are these opponents playing politics at their own risk?

Or are there good reasons for their behaviour?

Your thoughts please?
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 February 2009 10:24:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,Kevin is trying to solve a debt problem by incurring more debt.The $40 billion must be borrowed by the RBA and probably from one of the Central banks of the US.Our children will then have to pay for this in the future when rates are much higher.

There are better ways of stimulating spending than just giving money away.Kevin firstly should be a strong leader making clear and unambigious decisions.Currently he is warning of impending disaster and throwing money at people as a panacea.

I would liken Kevin's performance to him shouting fire in a picture threatre,not calming panic and not mentioning where the fire exits are.Fear and panic kills many more than the actual fire.

The money should be spent on income producing assets such as infrastructure.Give Australian Companies contracts so the money stays here.Instigate advertising campaigns letting people know why they should spend at this moment.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 7 February 2009 12:39:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,
I feel sorry for Libs!
They have lost their voters and supporters, they have isolated from Australian society!
I realy feel sorry for them!
If they supported the package they would called ALP'tale and they would lose even their last remaing fanatic supporters if not they will have problems with the rest of our society.
Unfortunatly Howard did not damage only our society but he destroyed the Liberal Party.
For me the best solution for the Libs is if most liberal politicians go home and the rest of them like PETROS GEORGIOU create a MODERN, DEMOCRATIC, LIBERAL PARTY,withouht the extremists and super extremists who scare the people and isolate the party from Australian society.
We need a strong opposition party, any democracy needs strong opposition party but I do not think that Australians could forget what Howard government did to them. Do not forget that Howard did not elect even as MP.
Demolish the Liberal Party and start from zero, there are many good lib politicians and they could play a positive role in Australia.
We need them and it is very sad that they blocked in Howard's Party.

Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Saturday, 7 February 2009 12:42:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy although I do not feel it I am older than you, have seen all this before.
Turnbull is not breaking new ground for Australian conservative party's.
Opposition for opposition sake, even near or total lies have been used often.
May I invite conservative supporters to challenge the following facts?
A budget deficit is coming without any so called hand out.
We intend to spend 2% gross national income America 7%.
Tax breaks have failed in the past to help at all see Ronald Regan's effort.
Over 100 million or is it billion dollar short fall in tax revenue has been forecast in the last two weeks.
And not for scoring points or slagging of the opposition I have zero doubt if in power Turnbull would spend about the same.
Zero doubts however he would focus much more on the rich, never a party to leave it mates in the lurch the poor matter far less to them.
This crisis may lead us to very bad places, if we are to get out, we will, it will be using new ideas and the new leadership we and America are lucky to have.
Turnbull is in the saddle of his party, his task must be to turn that party's head, understand he must not blindly follow the same American party that did far more to champion the reasons for our problems than any party.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 7 February 2009 1:12:59 PM
To call this a bail out package is dishonest. Giving people who don't need 42 billion dollars is an exercise in gross stupidity especially at the start of a world recession. Why this money is not spent on the hopelessly run down health systems (all mismanaged by State Labour Governments) defies logic. Unless Mr Turnbull is removed by the next election the Liberals will not be getting my vote. He is a poor imitation of Mr Rudd as far as I'm concerned. Mr Rudd will leave Government having been seen as a sugar daddy who has shown no clue as to how to manage an economy. Can't say though we were not warned before the last election. The ones who had it so good under Howard are about to regret the day they voted for Mr Rudd.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 7 February 2009 1:27:08 PM
"Malcolm Turnbull and his party are not fully supporting the bail out package of our PM.

Are these opponents playing politics at their own risk?

Or are there good reasons for their behaviour?"

I believe Turnbull and the Liberal Party would face graver risks if they just rubber-stamped the deal. Even if he loses in the Parliamentary process and to the weight of public opinion, that's still OK for Turnbull as he can always claim he was keeping rampant spending in check. He's probably calculated that the bill can get through without the Libs' support.

On the other hand, if he meekly rubber-stamps the deal, he can easily be portrayed as a pale imitation of the Government. He will soon end up in no-man's land as Kim Beazley did.

Anyway, as Obama has said, a country is always better served when its senior politicians think independently rather than through the prism of group-think. For this reason alone, I think Turnbull has done the right thing for him and his party.
Posted by RobP, Saturday, 7 February 2009 1:41:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 38
  8. 39
  9. 40
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy