The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Catholic belief > Comments

Catholic belief : Comments

By Jim Toohey, published 3/3/2009

Why the Catholic Church’s objection to having its teachings misrepresented by Father Kennedy is apparently such an outrage, is not clear.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Fractelle....beyond belief alright! They executed the totally innocent twin babies! Not the guilty rapist! Nowhere have you mentioned the guilty stepfather being deserving of even a slap on the wrist let alone execution! Or the 100,000 babies killed in Australia annually who are NOT conceived as a result of rape...our gaols would be overflowing if they were! Catholics do not have a strange interpretation of Jesus' compassion at all Fractelle. Jesus said very clearly: 'Suffer the little children to come unto Me'..not 'rip them out of their mothers' wombs'!

Of course this case in Brazil is a terrible tragedy Fractelle....on top of the years of dastardly systemic abuse of an innocent child. But the Catholic Church is actually consistent in opposing abortion in rape cases because the child conceived in rape is no less human than the child conceived in love. It goes without saying that a woman pregnant as a result of rape deserves the greatest compassion. But such a woman is more likely to get this Fractelle from a loving, supportive family, community and church than from an abortionist..there is ample evidence..anecdotal as well as proof of this. Have you ever heard of the much loved American Negro singer Ethel Waters Fractelle? Her mother was raped at the same age as the Brazilian girl. In her beautiful autobiography 'His eye is on the sparrow' she had this to say: ' My mother was raped in a ditch and today they are naming a park after me!"
Apparently she and her mother had a wonderful relationship all their lives.

That said....hard cases make bad law...and rape has always been used as the "red herring" in arguments to justify the widespread practice of abortion as have semantics such as "Women's Rights include the right to control our own fertility.' Their FERTILITY Fractelle, not their babies' BODIES!

The Brazilian bishop has taken a stand...unpopular and misinterpreted as it may be. He might have selected an easier case...but then those twins were as deserving of their lives as you and I are of ours Fractelle.

Denny
Posted by Denny, Saturday, 7 March 2009 11:23:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
denny, abortion is a tough issue, but "unborn children" is a contradiction in terms. if you're gonna serve up mountains of your tedious moral outrage, at least try to avoid the sleazy word games.
Posted by bushbasher, Saturday, 7 March 2009 3:21:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wow Denny, Do you have a misguided view of your religion and it's moral stands?

You quote Matthew 19:14 Did the children who went to God's alleged churches suffer? http://brokenrites.alphalink.com.au/nletter/bccrime.html

Where is your moral outrage on this? Is failing to leave an organisation that does such a thing giving tacit approval?

Have churches and Christians forfeited the right to comment on moral issues?

http://www.theage.com.au/national/outrage-over-bishops-abuse-remarks-20080716-3gcr.html?page=2

Have a read and let your heart weep! http://brokenrites.alphalink.com.au/

Where was your God? Where was your Church? Is that Cardinal Pell walking to the court with the accused? Did he visit the victims?

Have you read the histories of the rapes & beatings that occurred in orphanages run by alleged Christians and alleged Christian organisations?

Where is your moral outrage?

Have you and your husband sinned by using a condom? http://www.religiousconsultation.org/News_Tracker/condom_ban_divides_Catholic_clergy.htm

Would Jesus hold true your churches stance on condoms? Hmmm Nope!

How can a Christian organisation tell it's community not to use a condom when AIDS is raging through Africa? Where is your moral outrage?

If God giveth and God taketh away then HIV & AIDS is certainly lessening his workload!

Now back to your alleged 100,000 LEGAL terminations in this country.

Notice I don't use the emotive "abortion" word! It is ugly!

Should we re-open Church run orphanages? Can you trust your people Denny?

How many children will you adopt? We need a number for our calculations.

Denny - Has God made your heart hard in relation to this 9 year old girl?

If you insist that rape victims must have their babies then I am sorry for you. May your God forgive you!

In Deuteronomy 22:28 it states that the rapist (as long as he has 20 pieces of silver) must marry the victim. Do you believe this rubbish also?

You have plenty to think about and did you exaggerate the termination rate to 100,000
Posted by Opinionated2, Saturday, 7 March 2009 10:18:17 PM
Dear Bushbasher,

I commend you for your thoughtful "abortion is a tough issue." At least you do not dismiss it as the grave issue that it is. And I would have done better to have used the term 'preborn children'than 'unborn children' which you describe as a 'contradiction in terms'. You are right..there is nothing 'un' about a child in the womb. I have just checked my Collins English Dictionary where the word "child" is said to include "an unborn baby" and the expression "with child" to refer to "pregnant". No "sleazy word games" in the Collins English dictionary Bushbasher! Or the daily newspapers which so frequently report stories related to women carrying "unborn children". Just start taking note of this frequent word usage Bushbasher.

Opinionated2 clearly despises the Catholic Church...as is his/her right and privilege. But the presence of paedophiles in the Catholic Church is not an excuse for the rest of the world to go on a rampage of killing preborn children! Yes, people should practice what they preach. Paedophiles are hardly in a position to preach against abortion. But not every Catholic is a paedophile...just as not every teacher, not every member of the Liberal/Labor Party etc etc which oppose paedoplilia is a paedophile ...though some of the members of the Liberal/Labor Party and Education Department may have been found guilty of paedophilia. These institutions... and any other in the same position...are justified in speaking out against these crimes...though some of their members may have committed these very crimes!

But to get back to Father Kennedy and his Catholicism. I would be very surprised if he did not support what I have said...even if he hasn't made much of a fuss about the 80,000 -100,000 abortions in Australia annually. Ask him! And the Federal Health Department will verify that figure Opinionated 2
Denny.
Posted by Denny, Sunday, 8 March 2009 1:07:33 PM
Oh Denny - I DO NOT hate the Catholic Church or Catholics your comment is an unChristian judgement of me! You as a Christian aren't entitled to make judgements(Matthew 7:1-5).

I forgive you and turn the other cheek! (Matthew 5:39). But will your God?

John 8:7 "...he who has not sinned cast the first stone..." Are you throwing stones Denny?

I note with interest that you didn't address the condom's are a sin question, why?

Is your Church and Pope on a slippery slope on this one?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4081276.stm

And what are other Catholics saying?

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/catholic.petition.urges.pope.to.lift.ban.on.condoms.in.aids.battle/8566.htm.

Hold the phone ...surely a quick prayer upstairs to a compassionate and caring God... and he has his answer. If he forms a committee... will God get a seat? What's to consider?

I also notice you didn't address - Deuteronomy 22:28 it states that the rapist (as long as he has 50 pieces of silver) must marry the victim.

What are you scared of Denny? Does that Bible of yours create problems for fundamentalists?

Denny, Were you, as a Christian, prepared for this 9 year old girl, (the victim of rape and incest), to die or to be rendered infertile to save the twins?

How does an adult, let alone a child, deal with emotional trauma of this? Words are cheap Denny!

Now to add insult to injury the Vatican defends the excommunication of the Mother & Drs of the rape victim http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/07/vatican-defends-excommuni_n_172810.html

How can a Church do this?

I also didn't see your howl of moral outrage over this article!

Should excommunication occur here also http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,,25083343-3102,00.html

Is your church tough on innocents and soft on the guilty? Is more moral outrage required?

That was a quick revision of statistics Denny. Are Christians allowed to tell fibs? I can see your confessional visit this week being a long one.

Make sure you take a cut lunch!

Termination of a pregnancy is a very intense and sensitive subject Denny, if you can't address the above similar issues can you really address this one?

Where are your solutions Denny? Can you trust your people?
Posted by Opinionated2, Sunday, 8 March 2009 2:25:01 PM
a fetus is not a child. saying it doesn't make it so. cherry-picking your favourite dictionary doesn't make it so.

you can honestly debate the moral questions regarding a fetus. but you cannot do this if you lie about what a fetus is.
Posted by bushbasher, Sunday, 8 March 2009 5:05:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy