The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Catholic belief > Comments

Catholic belief : Comments

By Jim Toohey, published 3/3/2009

Why the Catholic Church’s objection to having its teachings misrepresented by Father Kennedy is apparently such an outrage, is not clear.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Can someone offer this mob another building please!
Posted by margaret anne, Wednesday, 4 March 2009 7:57:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Denny asks: " The rights of women"... What rights would they be Spikey?

Perhaps you ought to ask Jim Toohey who made the rather startling claim in his article that: "The Catholic Church and Catholic parishes throughout Brisbane constantly (though not perfectly) demonstrate a commitment to the rights of the poor, downtrodden and disadvantaged in the tradition of Christ. This includes the rights of indigenous people, homosexuals, women..."

As for myself, I would have thought the rights of women were the same as the rights of men. Do you have a problem with that?
Posted by Spikey, Wednesday, 4 March 2009 8:19:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The 'Brisbane Catholic Community'? What's that?
Posted by margaret anne, Wednesday, 4 March 2009 8:46:10 PM
On other threads I have been discussing issues to do with religions and the churches and this article contains some very big problems for the Catholic church.

Please believe me when I say I am not anti-Catholic whatsoever. I disagree with the teachings of all religions that I have studied.

Most Catholics, most Christians, most people, try to do the best they can, but often the churches fail the test. In this case it is the Catholic Church. Was it all that long ago that we lost a Governor General allegedly over his performance when dealing with an alleged crime committed by a clergyman? All churches have their skeletons.

If you are up to it please read this thread as it lays out what I am arguing!

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=2572

Please don't be offended it is a journey of thinking and God gave us a thinking and questioning mind.

The question now should be asked if Christianity is to be believed. What decision would Jesus or God want Church leaders to take?

If you are a follower of Jesus - John 15:12 "My commandment is this: LOVE one another as I have loved you". It is a commandment!

John 3:16 - "whosever believeth" doesn't discriminate whatsoever - It doesn't say "whosever, excepting gays and other non confirmed Catholics or Christians"!

A point on Church teaching and rules, if what this article alleges is true,
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,,25083343-3102,00.html,

are Church rules very flexible and hypocritical?

Did Jesus call Pharisees hypocritics? How do Church leaders sleep nights when they haven't reported an alleged or suspected crime"?

I am not a homosexual or a Christian but it seems that where there is conflict in doctrine and bible explanations - people should resort to
John 15:12 and "love one another" - Always err on the side of love!

To better serve their constituents all Religions and Churches should adopt 2 simple policies.

1. Love everyone equally

2. Report past, present and future alleged or even suspected crimes to the Police in every case!

With this suddenly the Churches become relevant again to those who choose to believe!
Posted by Opinionated2, Thursday, 5 March 2009 5:31:33 PM
Dear Spikey,

Great name...love it ...conjures up a spunky image if you don't mind me saying so!! But onto more serious matters....your question "As for myself, I would have thought the rights of women were the same as the rights of men. Do you have a problem with that?" No I do not have a problem with that Spikey..what I don't like is women having MORE rights than men! For example a man does not have a right to kill...very rightly. But women do Spikey. 100,000 women a year in Australia exercise their right to have their babies killed. 100,000 men a year DO NOT have a right to kill their wives...or anyone for that matter. Just how big was Father Kennedy on this, the first human right ..the right to life Spikey? I would not want to misjudge Father Kennedy... Australia is a big country and from this distance I just may not have heard his anguished cries to heaven at the injustice of this innocent bloodshed...and distortion of women's rights. Women's rights Spikey! NO ONE should kill...you just DON'T KILL PEOPLE Spikey!
I suppose the moral of the story is that when speaking of "women's rights" these days, one needs to be very specific since
"women's rights" has come to be synonymous with the right to abort unborn children and women like me are apt to be very cynical of the term "women's rights". Back in the days of suffragettes like Susan B Anthony and Caddie Stanton, 'women's rights' really were about the same rights as men ...these early feminists abhorred abortion...but these days 'women's rights' include the 'right to kill' ...something men thankfully do not have!

Denny
Posted by Denny, Saturday, 7 March 2009 8:46:22 AM
Denny

Women's Rights include the right to control our own fertility.

Are you saying you approve of the action taken by the Catholic Church by excommunicating a rape victim's mother and doctors who arranged an abortion for the nine year old girl after repeated rapes by her stepfather?

Catholics have a strange interpretation of Jesus' compassion.

"A Brazilian archbishop says all those who helped a child rape victim secure an abortion are to be excommunicated from the Catholic Church.

The girl, aged nine, who lives in the north-eastern state of Pernambuco, became pregnant with twins.

It is alleged that she had been sexually assaulted over a number of years by her stepfather.

The excommunication applies to the child's mother and the doctors involved in the procedure.

The pregnancy was terminated on Wednesday.

Abortion is only permitted in Brazil in cases of rape and where the mother's life is at risk and doctors say the girl's case met both these conditions."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7926694.stm

Catholic belief? Beyond belief.
Posted by Fractelle, Saturday, 7 March 2009 10:10:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy