The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Catholic belief > Comments

Catholic belief : Comments

By Jim Toohey, published 3/3/2009

Why the Catholic Church’s objection to having its teachings misrepresented by Father Kennedy is apparently such an outrage, is not clear.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Just in case I have lived my life to date unaware of some "womens rights" I actually thought I had but do not have, could Mr McLennan please detail those "women's rights"(plural, Mr.McLennan) for which Father Kennedy is credited with fighting so ardently? I was educated by some fine, wise and progressive Catholic Presentation Sisters to believe in my own sex...the sky was the limit to what a woman could do in the world. We were taught we could rule it! So please relieve my ignorance Mr McLennan... what rights for us women did Fr.Kennedy have to devote his time fighting...precious time that could otherwise have been devoted to fighting for human rights for far more vulnerable fellow human beings
Posted by Denny, Tuesday, 3 March 2009 10:19:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jim Toohey claims to have identified five 'complete misunderstandings' in Gary MacLennan’s OLO article “Faith of our fathers...” (February 20, 2009).

1. The Buddha statue.
Toohey's correction:
Archbishop Bathersby is also an ardent supporter of ecumenism but there's no official requirement to incorporate non-Christian religious symbols into the Catholic Church as a demonstration of ecumenism. 'No requirement' is not the same as proscription.

2. The authoritarian nature of the Archbishop's decisions.
Toohey's correction:
Denial. Anyway the ungrateful priest and his flock brought it all on themselves. Moreover, the Archbishop feels grief and sorrow too.

3. Jesus as outsider and revolutionary and the search for the Kingdom of God on earth
Toohey's correction: Agrees with the 'outsider' tag, half accepts the 'revolutionary' tag (while denying Jesus was anti-establishment) and accuses Fr Kennedy of heresy. Moreover, Toohey knows of "no Catholic or other Christian who believes it is possible to create the Kingdom of God on earth". Where does Toohey spend his days? Anyway, he says, that's an atheistic, unChristian idea that suits Father Kennedy's 'political agenda' - an unspecified smear.

4. The far right at work.
Toohey's correction:
Suggests a weird conspiracy then extend it to insinuate the Archbishop's opponents are implying he is a neo-Nazi. Toohey then characterises the Archbishop's views as 'orthodox, uncontroversial and widespread among Catholics of all political persuasions'. Widespread but not universal. Then follows a personal attack on the priest's courage.

5. Kennedy's championship of a range of good causes
Toohey's correction:
The Church champions these too and more - he even claims that it champions the rights of gay and women. Seriously without blushing.

With friends like Toohey, it's no wonder the Church is in a bad way.
Posted by Spikey, Tuesday, 3 March 2009 12:30:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
" The rights of women"... What rights would they be Spikey? Seriously without blushing.....
Posted by Denny, Tuesday, 3 March 2009 2:22:35 PM
I am not religious .
If Father was to purchase a disused Church and crank out his version of Catholicism would all his parishioners follow him ?

Did Mary , Jesus or any of the apostles set requirements of Legal(?) Practice .

In the first Church(?) did the faithfull have any input or executive to maybe control Priests .
Posted by ShazBaz001, Tuesday, 3 March 2009 4:57:16 PM
"With friends like Toohey, it's no wonder the Church is in a bad way.
Posted by Spikey,"

What?.
The Church is in a bad way?.
Good,I am delighted.
Posted by undidly, Tuesday, 3 March 2009 5:55:56 PM
Jim,

Are you Bathersby's mate?

I can't recall reading such a biased view for a long time... it does explain why the Catholic Church Heirachy is so out of touch with its people.

The whole Bathersby style has been of one with a huge ego. When will he put on a pair of jeans and t shirt and come and sit with the people at S. Brisbane and find out what Christ is really about? If he really represents the rest of the heirachy then it seems the church will continue to become increasingly irrelevant to most Australians.

In case anyone is interested, the Budda was in fact a Monk praying... which is one of the evil things that Bathersby has accused Kennedy of having in the church... god forbid! In his trial by letter, the Archbishop in his wisdom has shown his true nature...authoritarian, uncaring, uninterested in truth, inflexible and more about form than meaning....

Jim, say g'day to the Arch when you see him and ask him when he's going to retire to make way for someone more enlightened to lead the Brisbane Catholic community. I will keep fingers crossed.
Posted by BobD, Tuesday, 3 March 2009 6:36:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy