The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mandatory vaccinations > Comments

Mandatory vaccinations : Comments

By Helen Lobato, published 23/12/2008

Mandatory vaccinations for health workers are likely to lead to a greater shortage of nurses.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Dr. Stoller, I don’t think I, or anyone else on this forum, is saying there are no negative impacts of vaccines. Just like any other medical intervention, vaccines may have side effects. However, a very large body of work has shown that the benefits from vaccines greatly outweigh the costs. Not only that, herd immunity helps to protect the vulnerable in our community.

My complaint is not that Ms. Lobato is concerned about a policy of mandatory vaccination for health workers, but that Ms. Lobato making false and malicious statements about vaccine safety to support her case.

Should you truly be interested in vaccination in Australia, you can read about vaccine safety in Australia at these sites.

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/
http://www.health.sa.gov.au/pehs/Immunisation/2008-P3-vaccine-safety.pdf
Posted by Agronomist, Friday, 26 December 2008 8:48:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I respect what you have to say and I defend your right to say it as the expression goes, but in truth, vaccine science is not evidence based, in the sense that vaccine safety is done on a very small number of individuals who are followed for a very short and finite period of time and possible long term problems are dismissed. Short term problems are coincidence.

Safety is part of vaccine science and it has been swept under the rug, so to say. Vaccine science is sloppy and has become, in many respects, a religion.

In the example of the MMR vaccine I gave in my first post, there is nothing safe about having reverse transciptase and xeno retroviral contamination in those vaccines. You can list all the government supported websites you like. This is a serious health hazard.

The Emperor has no clothes... damn it
Posted by Dr. Stoller, Friday, 26 December 2008 9:31:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I share Helen Lobato’s concerns. There is a myriad of evidence supporting her assertions. Nevertheless, I do see the need for “herd” immunisation, however, the evidence reveals that there are far too many people reacting adversely to vaccines and recipients are entitled to first question the safety and efficacy of vaccines prior to immunisation.

Already alarm bells are ringing over Gardasil (which prevents cervical cancer) where hundreds of Australian girls have suffered severe reactions. In the US more than 2220 reports were lodged in 12 months, including controversial reports of more than seven deaths.

The Therapeutic Goods Association Australia refused to reveal detailed results, however, it said Gardasil was monitored by the US FDA and Centres for Disease Control, and in Australia by the Adverse Drug Reaction Advisory Committee, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation and the National Immunisation Committee.

Nevertheless, it appears that drug manufacturer, Mercke’s objective was to market Gardasil ASAP when they failed to research the potential health impacts of injecting this vaccine in combination with others:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/63586.php

Many of us would be aware that last year, academics from UWA, found all governments in Australia (state and commonwealth,) over a five year period, had suppressed vital health information to which the public is entitled.

It is an ignominious fact that the Australian governments have been assuring us for decades that the chemicals and drugs available in this country are safe and efficient. History has proven otherwise.

http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php?p=1534

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=5620282&page=1

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/v-kaiser.htm
Posted by dickie, Saturday, 27 December 2008 8:10:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"As for staff shortage: if all staff were vaccinated they would need less time off due to the flu."

Celivia

My observations tell me it doesn't work that way. I know many people who have flu injections each year. Clearly the vaccine must be for a specific strain as several of those vaccinated still contract another flu.

BTW, a bit of trivia and to the best of my knowledge, neither my brother or I have ever had a childhood vaccination, though I did have a tetanus vaccine in my thirties.
Posted by dickie, Saturday, 27 December 2008 11:56:36 PM
“1) There is no mercury in Australian vaccines”

That is incorrect Agronomist. In the link you provided you will find the following advice, which I have truncated here, on vaccines for use in Australia and which contain thiomersal – a mercury based preservative and the one which has created so much controversy:

Table 2: Vaccines available in Australia that contain thiomersal
Vaccine:

Combined diphtheria and tetanus vaccine

Adult diphtheria and tetanus vaccine

Diphtheria vaccine

Hepatitis B

*Influenza vaccines

Japanese encephalitis vaccine

Q fever vaccine

*Thiomersal-free influenza vaccines are listed in Table 1
Posted by dickie, Sunday, 28 December 2008 9:06:14 PM
Dickie,

Flu vaccine.
You’re correct to say that the effectiveness of the flu vaccine can vary. But even if the flu vaccine would be only about 60% effective vaccination is still worthwhile because the incidences of flu as well as flu-related complications will be cut down. Some of these complications can be fatal. Herd immunity is important especially in a hospital environment.

Thimerosal.
Nothing suggests that thimerosal is damaging.

http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/topics/thiomersal/statement_jul2006/en/index.html
” The Global Advisory Committee on Vaccine Safety concludes that there is no evidence of toxicity in infants, children or adults exposed to thiomersal (containing ethyl mercury) in vaccines.”

” On the basis of the foregoing, the GACVS concluded that the most recent pharmacokinetic and developmental studies do not support concerns over the safety of thiomersal (ethyl mercury) in vaccines. The Committee concluded, and advises accordingly, that there is no reason on grounds of safety to change current immunization practices with thiomersal-containing vaccines, as the risks are unproven.”

Childhood diseases.
Some of the childhood vaccinations might not have been developed yet when you and your brother were children. Measles, Mumps and Rubella, for example.
Luckily the deaths caused by these childhood diseases have been significantly reduced. People who oppose these vaccinations for their children would not take this risk if they lived in Africa several years ago where no herd immunity existed. I remind these parents that the health of their children relies on the immunity of OTHERS around them.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2007/pr62/en/index.html
”Measles deaths in Africa fell by 91% between 2000 and 2006, from an estimated 396 000 to 36 000”

”The progress was announced today by the founding partners of the Measles Initiative: the American Red Cross, UNICEF, the United Nations Foundation, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and WHO.”

” The significant decline in measles deaths in Africa was made possible by the firm commitment of national governments to fully implement the measles reduction strategy, which includes vaccinating all children against measles before their first birthday via routine health services and providing a second opportunity for measles vaccination through mass vaccination campaigns.”
Posted by Celivia, Sunday, 28 December 2008 11:16:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All