The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > In defence of Muslims > Comments

In defence of Muslims : Comments

By Keysar Trad, published 28/11/2008

The Muslim community is, once again, in the dock, defending itself against a myriad of allegations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 19
  13. 20
  14. 21
  15. All
examinator,
Do not try to get me involved in a religous debate as I will not be part of that. You will notice that I did not mention women in mosques as I am not interested in that and i am not interested if some christian church admits women priests or not.

The matters I raised were issues that Keysar Trad included in his article. Space prevented me from the polygamy matter and that was discussed extensively a short time ago anyway.

I am interested in cultural issues, especially those that conflict with our society and culture. If I had generalised about girls getting stoned for apostasy or reporting rape or honour killings, no doubt would have been asked for examples, so I included some recent happenings.

No matter which way you look at it, Islamic culture is violent. 'the religion of peace' has to be the biggest lie ever told. The perpertrators of the terrorist attacks themselves claim they do it in the name of Islam. It is that culture that is responsible for 12 honour killings a year in Britain and 1200 complaints of forced marriages so far this year. Womens groups claim it is much higher than this. I am well aware that honour killing, forced marriages, polygamy and FGM are carried out by some cultures other than those of Islam. But I understand that Islam is unique in that it advocates wife beating and there is instruction as to how this should be done.

Since Keysar wrote the article, I was hopeful that he would comment on the posts and how he would reconcile Islam with the matters I spoke of.

I have no doubt that violence and Islam go together. How many muslims have blown up fellow muslims in Iraq?
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 30 November 2008 1:00:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Polycarp's theory that Islamic terrorism is linked to Islam's Holy Book is sadly proven to be true.

What on earth are terrorists of British Pakistani descent doing in Mumbai?

Healines from Daily Mail of UK

"Massacre in Mumbai: Up to SEVEN gunmen were British and 'came from same area as 7/7 bombers' "

7/7 was when young men (who were radicalised by Islamic extremist teachings) carried out a series of coordinated bomb blasts that hit London's public transport system.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1089711/Massacre-Mumbai-Up-SEVEN-gunmen-British-came-area-7-7-bombers.html
Posted by Philip Tang, Sunday, 30 November 2008 4:23:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting posts, guys. Two questions:

1. Why are there no women Islamic leaders?
2. Why are we not in danger of a terrorist attack? Who says so?

And one other point. Islam also approves female genital mutilation. Australian laws have had to specifically provide for prohibition of this when it should go without saying.

Nicky
Posted by Nicky, Sunday, 30 November 2008 5:32:01 PM
1. Why are there no women Islamic leaders? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazir_Bhutto http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/Muslim_Leaders.htm
2. Why are we not in danger of a terrorist attack? Who says so?
Who does say so? Of course we are at risk, especially while hate mongers in our midst continue to provoke trouble.

"Islam also approves female genital mutilation." My understanding is that it's not a muslim teaching, rather a cultural practice thats tollerated. Whilst I think that the impacts are vastly different it's worth remembering that our own culture tollerates male genital mutilation without clear medical reasons to do so.

I don't much like what I've seen of the muslim faith but don't much like the constant attempts to single out that one when many of the complaints are outrigtht lies, distortions or equally valid for our culture or for the faith of those doing the complaining.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 30 November 2008 6:01:01 PM
*kroizyjack*

I think U make a number of valid points.

*EveryOne*

Whilst there are some clearly fine minds here, amongst them are those who appear to only apply there intellect to a confined sub set of knowledge, largely that, that U see in the pitiful media here.

Now, U do not in my view need to be a rocket scientist to very quickly realise when U travel, that the different information carriers all seem to have a propensity to mix lies with the truth.

A bit of truth mixed with a bit of spin to make the mass compliant in order that they will act in accordance with the whims of the leaders.

Seriously, having had opportunity to move about a bit, I have yet to see balanced coverage on these issues from any of them, and mayhaps if they translated SBS international news reports, this would become plainly apparent to more people.

It seems to me that great attrocities have been committed by all involved and as long as only the misdeeds of one over the other are reported, this will likely continue to be the case for generations.

A related example for you all to consider - in the latest report to the n.american congress re red china, it is reported that 62.8% of their energy is produced from coal and that upwards of 750,000 people die every year due to pollution related disease.

And what do U hear about that here? Very, very little. And will the political churches vote for those who would end this?

Not so far ...

90+% of the wealth being concentrated in the hands of less than 10% of the people is also a prime motivator.
Posted by DreamOn, Sunday, 30 November 2008 6:01:54 PM
Though, it may b a well thought out tactic by some U know?

Consider for a moment if U will. On the fringes with Afghanistan, u've got auntie sam et al going in over the border and striking at their heartland. Now, I do not think they are entirely stupid, in that, it is difficult to battle 1st world war machines with hand held guns. For that, in part, U need yr own countries military support.

So, what do they do? They attack the heartland of the ancient enemy India. And amongst the ranks of the Paki military, U would undoubetly have some supporters, if even just a few giggles from those who have lost Luved ones in Kashmir or wherever. Thus, they may not take the assault upon India in a considered appropriate manner.

This of course, will p!ss of the Indians who with bush turkey egging them on as we speak, may counter in an overly enthusiastic manner which in turn will inflame old prejudices and bring about further sympathy for the Islamic hardliners by the Paki military and population as a whole.

Now, for some people, that may well suit them just fine.

BLACK SPEECH:

One Ring to rule them All,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them All and in the darkness bind them.

...Adam...
Posted by DreamOn, Sunday, 30 November 2008 6:29:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 19