The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Embracing a moderate Islam > Comments

Embracing a moderate Islam : Comments

By Saeed Khan, published 7/9/2007

There are challenges and responsibilities to the integration of Australian Muslims that we must all share.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
strayan said: "Meanwhile I think it's mainly a large segment of White Christian Australians (who've been [let's face it] living in one gigantic White Christian ghetto for far too long) who should be the focus of any 'integration' effort."

Who are these 'white' people? The reason I ask is that many people from tradtionally Muslim nations are quite pale in complexion. But yet you obviously distinguish between people of Turkic, Persian or Arabic backgrounds and Australia's British/European descended majority.

As for a wider integration effort, why should Australia's founding population be forced to give up aspects of its culture in order to accommodate voluntary newcomers? Why is it noble for Third World peoples to preserve their culture, but 'xenophobic' or 'racist' for Westerners to demand the same right?
Posted by Dresdener, Thursday, 13 September 2007 9:51:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whilst I'm not a Muslim, I am a Christian who believes in the modest dress standards of women and men. Yes, this means I am covered from my neck down to my ankles, by faith and choice. However, am I oppressed, hamstrung or a "second class" citizen, far from it. I am liberated, I am liberated because I don't have to worry about how a skin tight ultra micro mini skirt would look, I don't have to worry about how my stomach looks in a micro short shirt. Men don't glare at me with lustful intent or are only interested in my body. I am connected to with my mind, I am respected because of who I am inside, not outside. I haven't always been this way, when I was younger, yes I did the short skirt thing. But, now I am very much liberated. So please before you criticize how Muslims and some Christian faiths choose to dress, we are exercising our freedom of choice. You may choose to dress differently, that is your choice. Mine is to be modest, and liberated with it.
Posted by zahira, Saturday, 6 October 2007 2:19:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
zahira,

Welcome

I admire your sense of modesty - I was brought up in a culture that respected that.

However covering in Islam it is not only about modesty but an obligation imposed on all women. It's the law. So no freedom of choice... no need to exercise your brain if you are a good muslim - you are a slave of its regulations.

More and more women in the west wear veils now as a sign of identity and visibility - it is more a political statement and an act of defiance - no matter how they are dressed (or not) underneath their tents.
Posted by coach, Saturday, 6 October 2007 8:39:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy