The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The pursuit of terrorists post September 11: be afraid, be very afraid … > Comments

The pursuit of terrorists post September 11: be afraid, be very afraid … : Comments

By Andrew Boe, published 2/8/2007

The details of the Haneef case, and the broader issues raised by this apparently flawed application of Australia's laws.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. 21
  13. All
Excellent article. After all we are all fighting terrorism because we think our system of government and law is superior. So this little fiasco has left a bit of egg on our 'democratic and innocent until proven guilty' faces. As Cornflower said: surely we cannot say the end justifies the means.

To top it off our minister of the Crown for Immigration revokes a visa because legally there was no avenue to hold Dr Haneef! It couldn't have been done any better by a minister in the government of say Iran, or Libya, or Sudan.

For all you folks who think Dr Haneef got his wife to have a caeserian section so he could flee Australia and that he could hide his terrorist connection after 3 weeks of round the clock investigation by an army of highly capable Federal Police who are doing such a marvelous job in Melbourne would make him one excellent recruit for Al Qeada. What is he doing in Australia for Goodness sake? He deserves a better posting!

Sounds like a top 'sleeper' to me. Somehow I don't think Australia is that important in the global scheme of thing for such a high calibre terrorist.

Either you think a country like Australia has the most preferable style of government and legal system and her citizens should jealously guard this respect for justice and government and vigorously question whenever there seems to be overstepping of the mark, or you agree with the fundamentalists and think we are slack, decadent and weak and sorely need some God given laws with unelected imams implementing same.

We CANNOT afford to be frightened into such fear of Them, that we are willing to sacrifice any of our processes and principles of law that we believe make us a sophisticated democracy and liberal society. What is the point then of resisting terrorism? A few deaths? We kill thousands on the roads, we have plenty of suicides and enough murders of the 'ordinary' kind to keep us occupied.
Posted by yvonne, Thursday, 2 August 2007 6:54:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I vote for CSteele as the next prime minister of Australia. His/her previous post about the regretful necessity of our treatment of Dr Haneef is the best summary of the issues I have heard or seen.

Too much that is said is based on a previous opinion. The government is wicked, and so everything is evil and coverup. We are racist, and so everything about this case is victimisation of skin colour.

Dr Haneef is either innocent or guilty of some kind of connection with terror. How can we know at this stage? If he is innocent then the apology phrased by CSteele is apposite. If he is guilty, then a lot of ideologs have egg on their faces.
Posted by Fencepost, Thursday, 2 August 2007 7:12:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've waded through Andrew Boe's piece twice and I still can't figure out what I'm supposed to " be afraid, be very afraid" of, apart from terrorism.
Posted by Admiral von Schneider, Thursday, 2 August 2007 7:35:27 PM
Great article!

Some of the most brilliant minds in the world can be found in our legal fraternity here in Australia.

These men and women do a superb job at challenging those who would undermine equity for one individual, safeguarding the potential disastrous ramifications for the greater community.

For the poster who didn't get the ending comment 'be afraid, be very afraid...' maybe this will explain the message further ...

'First they came for the Jews
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the communists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me
And there was no-one left
To speak out for me.'
Posted by Liz, Thursday, 2 August 2007 8:13:16 PM
Actually,I'm more afraid of our litigious legal system that makes a fortune premoting rights over responsibilities.

The real terrorists live in our midst.It is our own apathy.The terrorists are actually doing us a favour.We are beginning to remember why we fought the great war of WW2.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 2 August 2007 8:42:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lawyers taking on cases like Haneef's is fine with me, as long as the taxpayer bears none of the cost, should their client fail.
Posted by Admiral von Schneider, Thursday, 2 August 2007 9:11:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. 21