The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Misguided and misogynistic religiosity > Comments

Misguided and misogynistic religiosity : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 27/10/2006

Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali's latest gaffe illustrates the widespread misogyny that exists among Muslim religious leaders.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 23
  13. 24
  14. 25
  15. All
thanks Wobbles.
It is is still crucial to distinguish.
We should not call a thing racism, when it is something else.

Race - we are born with. Neutral.
Religion - we are convinced of. Or otherwise.

As to the time delay... I am interested in what a man said in Medina and Mecca thousands of years ago, because it affects our world. If it was violent teaching then, it is violent teaching now.

Same with a Sheik
Posted by tennyson's_one_far-off_divine_event, Saturday, 28 October 2006 9:08:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kactuz, you are the first writer I've read who seems to have seen the Hadith, which I've never been able to find in any bookshop (and I don't read Arabic unfortunately). You may be able to tell us what, if anything, the hadith say concerning female genitial mutilation. I've tried for years to find out. Nothing in the Q'ran itself. As far as I'm concerned this is by far the worst of all the many cruelties to women in this world, and any religion which sanctifies the practice should be outlawed. I have been told that there is a hadith where the Prophet says "if you must do it, do it lightly." Is this the case ? Meanwhile, Wayne's comments were spot on - let's have an open debate about male behaviour and values, as well as female behaviour. Neither society would come off well.
Posted by kang, Saturday, 28 October 2006 10:24:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This "religious leader" has been pushing an agenda ever since he came to Australia, making no attempt to be a part of this country, refusing to speak English even though he can. His agenda is not the agenda of any religion, it is the agenda of men trying to misuse what was written as well meaning religious belief. He,like many religious leaders, self proclaimed or not, should be scorned and shouted down for misusing something so many believe in. I don't,in any religion but it's a personal choice.

The Muslim religion though is no Lone Ranger in this regard. In fact, name me one religion that isn't misused for political, personal or financial motives. Don't start by quoting Catholics as that religion is by far the most abused and misused of them all.

All religions should be treated the same with those misusing it being rejected, not acclaimed. Listen to those supposed world leaders and hear them claim religious fervour when it suits. At other times they shout loudly "religion has no place in politics". It shouldn't but it does. What a tool.
Posted by RobbyH, Saturday, 28 October 2006 11:28:44 AM
RobbyH

You are right. There are people in all religions who are in it for self gain and self promotion. Judas is a good example. There are also plenty of self promoters and people using deceit in the area of science. We see this with many involved in earth worship today especially in the area of global warming. So called experts hiding behind science degrees. Just shows we are all subject to corruption. It wasn't that long ago that a scientist who claimed he had cloned humans(and believed by most) was shown to be a fraud. Thank God for Jesus who was the only uncorruptible One to ever live on earth..
Posted by runner, Saturday, 28 October 2006 11:38:35 AM
Once again we have a Muslim leader stirring up trouble and no one is surprised. It is all we have come to expect these days.
We have never had so much trouble as we do now.
People say that this cancer in our midst cannot be deported.Can not laws be enacted so that anyone who lies when they take oath of citizenship will be stripped of citizenship because they took it under false pretences.And when stripped of that,surely they can be sent out of a country that holds that person and everything he represents as repulsive and unwanted.
To go on accepting this person as a citizen is to go against all our true feelings. Why should we be forced to accept the unacceptable?
Posted by mickijo, Saturday, 28 October 2006 3:33:50 PM
I reckon the Sheik has given an entirely new perspective to that outdated but once well used phrase...'What a dish'. :-)

Humour for the poor old bloke ... he deserves it.
Posted by keith, Saturday, 28 October 2006 4:22:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 23