The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Stand now and be blessed > Comments

Stand now and be blessed : Comments

By Evan Gillham, published 30/8/2006

An ex-Christian asks some questions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
A short test in the conflict between ‘belief’ and ‘reality’.

Two persons are standing at an intersection when a car accident occurs. Police are called.

In attempting to correctly report the matter, both persons are spoken to. Both give a different account of events and apportion blame differently.

When confronted with this problem by police, both claim to have it ‘right’ and believe they have recalled it factually.

Police investigate more and cannot discount either version of the two witnesses.

Who of the two, who’s belief recounts reality?
Posted by Reason, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 10:01:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Evan Gillham,

I couldn't answer your questions as the forum mods restrict only 2 posts per article.

Your question: * And could you, or any other Christian here, please explain the meaning of 'Original Sin'? *

I have experienced the reality of 'Original Sin'.

. As you and I know, sin & subsequently death came through
disobedience. We can clearly see rebellious nature in humans.

I will give you a clear picture in terms of definitions.

1. What is Sin? A: Sin is lawlessness. 1 John 3:4
2. What is the result of Sin? A: For the wages of sin is death Romans 6:23

The first humans sinned and got the result of Sin.
Through Sin, came Death.
We have the same human nature. I know my heart, my thoughts.

Jesus said:

" For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, fornication, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, licentiousness, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a man. " Mark 7:21

I get evil thoughts, My fellow neighbour speaks according to his/her thoughts, Some others do evil deeds. What is the source of all these?
*thoughts - *words - *deeds

I know this is due to human nature. We have the same disobedient sinful nature of the first humans.

Dear Evan, Our Loving Heavenly Father did not leave us in that state. He made a provision for us, humans to reconcile with Him.

" For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, Lord Jesus Christ that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. " John 3:16

A simple faith in Jesus Christ, What He did for us changes our nature altogether.

" Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, the new has come. " 2 Corinthians 5:17

This is what I have experienced, my original disobedient & sinful human nature is replaced with the spiritual nature, the very nature of Jesus Christ.
Posted by Michael4Love, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 2:53:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Evan Gillham,

Your question

* To all: Could any Christian here please explain why they call themselves one?

* Christian * Christ - In
A person who has Christ, His Spirit, His nature within himself/herself is known as a Christian.

* Christian
A person who has fallen in Love with Christ, His Sacrifice, His Words.

* Christian
Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Matthew 16:24

Hi The Alchemist:

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts on my life.

You said: You can see that mental state in Michael4Loves posts. Full of emotion.

This is the exact response my Pastor (Pagan) got when he shared his testimony with his family. They admitted him in a mental hospital and gave him 'shock' treatment. Later, they expelled him from their house.

I know what happened in my life. I can show whatever details you want me to.

And I quote the very Jesus words which worked mightily in my life.

And Jesus said to him, "If you can! All things are possible to him who believes." Mark 9:23

All the Best!
Posted by Michael4Love, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 3:17:33 PM
* obozo: You said, "Robert, I have seen these cool words used in this thread : 'sick', 'nutters', : What a sick religion. Have you seen them?"
Lorese was referring to what she read on a website, the address of which she provided. I would agree with her absolutely that those people on that site are sick. Did you read why she thinks they are sick? Apparently they go on Holy Land tours to visit where they think Armageddon will take place, and joyfully anticipate that particular catastrophic battle. So if that's true then yes I agree that's pretty sick. Regarding cricketers - grow up! Do think all the Muslim and Hindu players on the Pakistani and Indian teams are destined for an eternity of excruciatingly painful punishment because they do not 'follow Jesus'?

* Michael4Love: You said, "The first humans sinned and got the result of Sin. Through Sin, came Death. We have the same human nature. I know my heart, my thoughts."
You're talking about Adam and Eve, right? And, after assuming they were two actual people, made from clay and a rib-bone, are you saying that they and all their descendents would have never died if they had not sinned? Michael, the story of Adam and Eve is mythology, like the mythology found in any culture. Michael I know my heart and my thoughts too, but only since I started thinking for myself. When I was a teenager and called myself a Christian I was not free. I started to become free when I started to learn about independence, self-reliance and patience. I'm by no means a master of those yet, but as I grow in these ways, my happiness grows too. Not a 'jumping around' happiness, but a calm and peaceful happiness deep down, and the beginnings of a genuine loving respect for other people. Practising some deep breathing techniques helped a lot too.

* Alan Grey: You said, "...give us a reason why you think they are all false?"
Any religion that claims to be the only 'true' one is quite obviously false!
Posted by egillham, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 7:31:37 PM
Robert, I think you haven't read Lorese's posts. I will quote her words so that you can understand

These nutters believe that ‘the end is nigh’ They have ‘holy land tours’ where these sick people sing their jolly songs, pray and praise the Lord, speak in tongues, .... What a sick religion - Lorese

Am I the only one who understood that Lorese has called christianity a sick religion?

And my question to egillham:

egillham, now that you have known those cricketers and their beliefs, do you hate them? are those cricketers sick idiots deprived of intelligence? are they sub-human ? are they fools?
what do you think of them?

egillham replies: Regarding cricketers - grow up! Do think all the Muslim and Hindu players on the Pakistani and Indian teams are destined for an eternity of excruciatingly painful punishment because they do not 'follow Jesus'?

Can I see any connection between my question and his answer? Robert, and you want christians to learn from egillham??!!

And some one asks Christians, where the hell are ewe? as though christians are responsible for every thing. If there is any evil thing you find, blame it on christians and if christians do any good thing, you'll say we, non-christians also do it and criticize christians. Poor christians, they get ridiculed always
Posted by obozo, Thursday, 7 September 2006 5:15:33 AM
* obozo: I asked you a question first, which you did not answer. Here it is again:
"I am interested in other people's experiences and ideas. May I ask you a question? If only one Australian cricketer was a Christian, would you still be a 'believer'? If so, why does it make any difference how many of them are Christians? If the whole Australian cricket team were Christians, would that make your faith stronger? If so, why?"
Instead of trying to answer that question, you replied:
"egillham, now that you have known those cricketers and their beliefs, do you hate them? are those cricketers sick idiots deprived of intelligence? are they sub-human ? are they fools?
what do you think of them?"
So why are you complaining that I didn't answer your question? You didn't answer mine, and I didn't whinge about it.

So far you obozo, you haven't made a single comment or reference to the article I wrote, but instead jumped into the discussion waving your arms around accusing people of being 'Christian-haters'. Calm down and think of something constructive to say. Did you like my article? I wasn't completely happy with it..
Posted by egillham, Thursday, 7 September 2006 6:55:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All