The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Stand now and be blessed > Comments

Stand now and be blessed : Comments

By Evan Gillham, published 30/8/2006

An ex-Christian asks some questions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All
"I feel quite ashamed sometimes for having put psychological pressure on others to believe or continue believing the Christian “way”, during the time I was involved in Christian groups. It's an incredibly selfish thing to do."

Great going Evan. You've seen the light and jumped ship. No problems. However obviously unashamed about putting phychological pressure on others to disbelieve. You sound like a reformed smoker.
Posted by Joe Karachi, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 1:38:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I grew up in a fundamentalist cult too Evan. Christian fundamentalism is on the rise again. You only have to enter a search ‘Christian fundamentalism and the war in Iraq’.Also check out www.raptureready.com for a nasty scare. These nutters believe that ‘the end is nigh’ They have ‘holy land tours’ where these sick people sing their jolly songs, pray and praise the Lord, speak in tongues, and then have a preacher remind them of the prophecy in revelations about the ‘end time events’ which include the rapture of all the spirit baptized tongue babbling fundamentalists who will be ‘caught up by Jesus in the sky’ and so will not have to suffer Armageddon. They go to Israel to view where the conflagration will take place! What a sick religion.

Don’t buy Christians telling you to give the ‘real Christianity’ another chance Evan. I don’t buy a belief system that began with a father allowing a bunch of other people to torture and kill his son as the only way that daddy would forgive the rest of the world their sins; otherwise the devil would get them. Oh PLEASE fetch me the bucket. It is a vile disgusting concept. Wherever Christianity has been a state religion, and/or had social power, it has maimed killed and destroyed anyone who did not agree with it. I worry that as history seems to be circular and not linear that this will happen again within Western culture.
I only feel sorry for the people who try to defend it. There are a lot of good kind people with values and ethics who also call themselves Christians (and muslims) I know that they in turn feel sorry for a ‘backslider’ like me. For myself I am relieved to have escaped the evil clutches of any kind of Christianity, it is all part of a continuum. You know, you don’t have to have any religion to live a life with ethics.
Posted by Lorese, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 1:42:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Joe karachi

Of course if someone has a strong opinion they would like to convince others! So you think Evan could have told his tale values free? We don't live in an objective world, we live in a subjective one, the personal is the political. You accusing Evan of not being afraid to 'impose' his ideas on others is the same as saying, 'Hey Louise just cos' youve been raped doesn't mean you have the right to try to turn everyone else off the idea' Come on, think what you are saying.
Posted by Lorese, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 2:35:17 PM
I agree with much of the article and with most posts so far - God created the world, created Adam and then Eve and had a wonderful relationship with them; Adam named all the beautiful things God created including "Eve".

Unfortunately, Adam and Eve fell into sin, therefore all their descendants are born with sin and are alienated from God.

But God in His Loving Grace has sent His Son Jesus to save us and restore that broken relationship - so whoever believes in Jesus will be saved and will have eternal life with Him as it was first intended.

And how does the world try to repay God? They invent religions...

I am sorry that the author encountered (if he really did) such counterfeits. His total experience amounts to nothing that remotely resembles true Christianity.

There is no redemption without true repentance. So these clowns invite unsuspecting prospects to join their cults without going through true confession and surrender to Jesus' Lordship, etc...

But yes they (cults and false religions) exist and it's about time they are put to the test, for their own good and for the good of the real Christian massage, and the many victims that later fall by the wayside.

It is estimated that true Bible-believing, born-again, disciples of Jesus, may amount to less than 5% of total nominal "Christian" population in Australia.

And BTW the world is truly no much older than 13,000 years...
Posted by coach, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 2:42:19 PM
Communist states in russia and china were hijacked by dictators. Obviously all communism is evil.

I am getting more and more convinced that religion is analogous to a tool. It is neither inherently good or evil. It just depends on how it is used by its practisioners.

Though I am an atheist myself, I can see how many people find great solace in the ideas of an afterlife and reincarnation, and also the moral compass provided by religious teachings. It seems to me though that most religious problems arise when people try to impose their rules and interpretations upon others. At that point it becomes a means of control rather than a way to make sense of the world around us.
Posted by gusi, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 2:45:50 PM
"When I woke up this morning, I had no idea what I should talk about in church today,” he began. “So I prayed to God about it. Then God spoke to me very clearly".

When you pray to God you know you're pretty normal. It's when he answers that you need to worry.
Posted by bennie, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 3:47:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy