The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > America is doing it right in Iraq > Comments

America is doing it right in Iraq : Comments

By Alistair Campbell, published 28/2/2005

Alistair Campbell argues that the US was justified in invading Iraq and installing a democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
One last article on desire for oil driving the US invasion of Iraq - this one sums it all up quite well:

"Will The End of Oil Mean The End of America?"
http://www.321energy.com/editorials/freeman/freeman032105.html

"As long as the US chooses the Grab the Oil alternative, the implications for national policy are inescapable. The combination of all these facts—fixed supply, rapid depletion, lack of alternatives, severity of consequences, and hostility of current stockholding countries—drive the US to HAVE to adopt an aggressive (pre-emptive) military posture and to carry out a nakedly colonial expropriation of resources from weaker countries around the world.

This is why the US operates some 700 military bases around the world and spends over half a trillion dollars per year on military affairs, more than all the rest of the world—its “allies” included—combined. This is why the Defense Department’s latest Quadrennial Review stated, “The US must retain the capability to send well-armed and logistically supported forces to critical points around the globe, even in the face of enemy opposition.” This is why Pentagon brass say internally that current force levels are inadequate to the strategic challenges they face and that they will have to re-instate the draft after the 2004 elections.

But the provocation occasioned by grabbing the oil, especially from nations ideologically hostile to the US, means that military attacks on the US and the recourse to military responses will only intensify until the US is embroiled in unending global conflict. This is the perverse genius of the Grab the Oil strategy: it comes with its own built-in escalation, its own justification for ever more militarization—without limit. It will blithely consume the entire US economy, the entire society, without being sated. It is, in homage to Orwell, Perpetual War for Perpetual Grease."
Posted by biggav, Tuesday, 22 March 2005 11:33:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
biggav, You haven't made any "arguments" about America being a Fascist State. All we've seen are wild rantings. You are so anti-American that you are spewing forth absurdities.

Communism is sometimes referred to as "Red Fascism" because although the theory is different, the end result is similar - a totalitarian state with no human rights, no freedoms, secret police,torture, summary executions, concentration/lobour camps, and of course only one political party. Do you see now, or is that too hard for you to grasp? In fact Hitler is said to have got the idea of the camps from the Soviet gulags.

Both very different from the USA, so how can you possibly claim that America is a Fascist state? You had better shut up before you embarrass yourself furher.

If you really watched Fox News including Bill O'Reilly, Hannity&Combs and the others, and still say it's "Pravda" then it proves just how far off the planet you are.
Typical of you to just dismiss David Kay's report on Saddam's weapons program. Obviously you didn't read it. Maybe 9 pages is too long and detailed for you.

You haven't proved a thing with all your diatribe about oil. If America was stealing Iraq's oil, Putin, Chirac and all their other opponents would be screaming the place down. America now has discovered huge oil deposits in Alaska for development if necessary.

I hope one day you will "see the light" and stop spouting all this absolute bull
Posted by Big Al 30, Monday, 28 March 2005 11:51:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
biggav, Furthermore, you want to have President Bush and his team tried as war criminals.

I don't see you wanting to have the barbarian cowards who kidnap people including civilians, and hack off their heads tried in any court or forced to pay for their hideous crimes.

No do I see you wanting to stop these cowardly fanatics who blow up innocent men women and children in car bombs, or bring those responsible to justice. I think you actually want them to win. I ask you now, do you want them to win?

You sneer at the recent elections, where millions risked being bombed or shot at to vote. They were extremely brave, and indicated their determination to move Iraq forward into a Democracy of their choosing. Would you rather Saddam and his sadistic, rapacious sons and others ready to carry out their torture and murder were still ruling Iraq? How would you bring peace and Democracy to Iraq?
Posted by Big Al 30, Monday, 28 March 2005 8:54:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Al, as usual you are completely ignoring what I have said previously - if you take the time to read my posts you would save me having to repeat myself.

1. All crimes against civilians, both by US troops and by Iraqi fighters should be punished - obviously, I think anyone who cuts off a civilian's head should by tried and hung for their crimes, just as any US troops who shoot civilians (or Italian journalists) should be tried and hung by the International criminal court. No crimes against civilians are acceptable.

2. I apply this same principle to Bush and all his neocon cabal, as I do to Saddam Hussein - as I previously mentioned, for a detailed description of what should occur, read this:
http://biggav.blogspot.com/2004/12/some-historical-notes-on-iraq-q-who.html

The whole lot of them are human scum and should be made to pay for their crimes.

I have been perfectly consistent on this - for you to suggest otherwise is disingenous and typical of your "big lie" tactics (which you share with your neocon mates - obviously you all studied Josef Goebbels carefully).

Now why don't you answer some of my questions:

1. Is it really worth killing tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians in order to steal their oil so the US can delay dealing with peak oil for another 5 years ?

2. Which of the 14 aspects of a fascist country do you think the present day US doesn't embody ? ()

3. Do you think Australian troops should serve in Iraq given the risks posed by the radioactive materiel now in the environment from US depleted uranium weapons ?
Posted by biggav, Monday, 28 March 2005 9:51:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ooops - I forgot the 14 aspects of a fascist nation link:

http://austinuu.org/sermons/2004/2004-11-07-LivingUnderFascism.html

My point is that the present day US exhibits at least 13 of these 14 aspects - it is undeniably now a fascist nation. True conservatives aren't fascists - however neoconservatives are - the name is just a "rebranding".

I think the great Hunter S Thompson had Bush and co pegged when he said:
"We have become a Nazi monster in the eyes of the whole world, a nation of bullies and b*stards who would rather kill than live peacefully. We are not just whores for power and oil, but killer whores with hate and fear in our hearts. We are human scum, and that is how history will judge us. . . No redeeming social value. Just whores. Get out of our way, or we'll kill you.

Well, sh*t on that dumbness. George W. Bush does not speak for me or my son or my mother or my friends or the people I respect in this world. We didn't vote for these cheap, greed little killers who speak for America today--and we will not vote for them again in 2002. Or 2004. Or ever.

Who does vote for these dishonest sh*theads? Who among us can be happy and proud of having all this innocent blood on our hands? Who are these swine? These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and fooled by stupid little rich kids like George Bush?"

http://biggav.blogspot.com/2005/02/rip-hst-hunter-s-thompson-has-passed.html
http://biggav.blogspot.com/2005/02/hunter-s.html
Posted by biggav, Monday, 28 March 2005 9:55:50 PM
Al, I continue to be amazed that you can't recognise the clear parallels between the Soviet's Pravda propaganda organ and the Republican's Fox "News" propaganda organ. Maybe its because Pravda was a communist entity while Fox "News" is a fascist one ?

Again, you really must watch the documentaries "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism" (http://www.outfoxed.org/) and "Orwell Rolls In His Grave" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410407/) for an examination of how this privatised propaganda network (run by Republican politician Roger Ailes) was constructed - it is also well worth reading "Into The Buzzsaw" (http://www.freedomofthepress.net/intothebuzzsaw.htm).

One wise American has even invented a propaganda filter for TVs called the "fox blocker" that filters out Fox from the airwaves:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002220590_foxblocker26.html?syndication=rss

Outfoxed is now on DVD release in Australia - which is good as most people won't have seen it in theatres as the Murdoch papers refused to allow adevrtisements for it to appear:
http://www.dv1.com.au/templates/tp_ThisPage.asp?pn=OUTFOXED+DVD+Release&pid=292&mpid=6&ptid=2&bcp=0

"OUTFOXED is a documentary from producer/director Robert Greenwald which provides an in-depth look at Rupert Murdoch's Fox News Channel and the increasing dangers to democracy when multi-national corporations take control of the public's right to know.

As the political dust settles from the Australian and American elections, OUTFOXED has emerged as one of the most talked about documentaries this year behind Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11. The issues raised in OUTFOXED relating to how the media deliberately feeds information and disinformation to the general public has become acutely pertinent.

A brilliantly executed exposé of the moral and ethical corruption inside Fox News, OUTFOXED reveals the tricks-of-the-trade implemented to manipulate and influence the viewing public. Featuring candid interviews with former Fox News producers, reporters, bookers and writers who discuss being forcefully coerced to push a 'right-wing' point-of-view or risk their jobs and livelihoods, OUTFOXED exposes the shocking hypocrisy behind Fox News Channel's 'Fair and Balanced' slogan."
Posted by biggav, Tuesday, 29 March 2005 10:29:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All