The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abbas abandons peace negotiations with Israel > Comments

Abbas abandons peace negotiations with Israel : Comments

By David Singer, published 24/8/2016

Mahmoud Abbas’s decision to prosecute Britain for publishing the 1917 Balfour Declaration amounts to an outright rejection of the right of the Jewish people to have their own state.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
#nicknamenick

Could you please post verbatim the quote you rely on from Lewis's 1999 work and his sources that support his claim that "the Arabs of Palestine began widely using the term Palestinian starting in the pre-World War I period to indicate the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people"

Lewis's claim stands in stark contrast to the following:

"The three main political organizations in Palestine-the Arab Club, the Literary Club, and the Muslim-Christian Association (the lack of mention of Palestine in their names is revealing) -- all worked for union with Syria. The first two went farthest, calling outright for rule by Prince Faysal. Amin al-Husayni was president of the Arab Club; the extremism which later made him notorious as the leader of Palestinian separatism (and an ally of Hitler) already showed itself in 1920, when he instigated riots for union with Syria. A member of the Arab Club, Kamil al-Budayri, co-edited from September 1919 the newspaper Suriya al-Janubiya ("Southern Syria") which advocated Palestine's incorporation into Greater Syria.

Even the Muslim-Christian Association, an organization of traditional leaders-men who expected to rule if Palestine became independent-demanded incorporation in Greater Syria. Its president insisted that "Palestine or Southern Syria-an integral part of the one and indivisible Syria-must not in any case or for any pretext be detached." The Muslim-Christian Association held a Congress in early 1919 to draw up demands for the Paris Peace Conference. It declared that Palestine, a "part of Arab Syria," is permanently connected to Syria through "national, religious, linguistic, natural, economic, and geographical bonds," and resolved that "Southern Syria or Palestine should not be separated from the independent Arab Syrian government." Musa Kazim al-Husayni, Head of the Jerusalem Town Council (in effect, mayor) told a Zionist interlocutor in October 1919: "We demand no separation from Syria." The slogan heard everywhere in 1918-19 was "Unity, Unity, From the Taurus [Mountains in Turkey] to Rafah [in Gaza], Unity, Unity."
http://www.danielpipes.org/174/palestine-for-the-syrians

Lewis is also contradicted by the League of Nations which in the 1922 Mandate for Palestine never mentioned the "Palestinians" but only the "existing non-Jewish communities"
Posted by david singer, Saturday, 27 August 2016 10:13:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No I don't have the book. But 1922 Mandate for Palestine means the people were ...? ( Ukraine people are..?)
Pakistanians have a land but not a Paki Homeland promised by Allah who sends the Pak Army to fulfil prophecy.
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 28 August 2016 7:33:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
#nicknamenick

So you don't have Lewis's book.

What then was the source you used to make the following comment:

"The Arabs of Palestine began widely using the term Palestinian starting in the pre-World War I period to indicate the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people.( B Lewis 1999). Semites and Anti-Semites , An Inquiry into Conflict and Prejudice .p 169."

The link to where you got this statement from would be appreciated.
Posted by david singer, Monday, 29 August 2016 7:56:53 AM
#nicknamenick

I am still waiting for you to post the link to the following statement made by you:

"The Arabs of Palestine began widely using the term Palestinian starting in the pre-World War I period to indicate the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people.( B Lewis 1999). Semites and Anti-Semites , An Inquiry into Conflict and Prejudice .p 169."

The reference by me to the Daniel Pipes statement certainly does not agree with the one you attributed to Lewis - indeed it is directly the opposite.

The sooner you post the link to the Lewis statement - the sooner we can try and clear up the apparent inconsistency between Lewis and Pipes.

It seems you may not be able to locate the source for the Lewis quote as I asked you to supply the link to me more than twenty four hours ago. If that is the case please confirm as soon as possible.

The issue is far too important to be left in limbo.
Posted by david singer, Tuesday, 30 August 2016 8:23:54 AM
steady on David,
google it and:
Search Results
The term “Palestinian” - All about Oscar
kids.britannica.com/oscar/article-45075
The Arabs of Palestine began widely using the term Palestinian starting in the pre-World War I period to indicate the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people.
Historic Palestine, Israel, and the Emerging Palestinian Autonomous ...
https://books.google.com.au/books?isbn=1615303154
Laura Etheredge - 2011 - ‎Juvenile Nonfiction
The Arabs of Palestine began widely using the term “Palestinian” starting in the pre-World War I period to indicate the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people.
Posted by nicknamenick, Tuesday, 30 August 2016 9:28:10 AM
#nicknamenick

I am a little confused.

You originally posted this statement:

"Encyclopedia Brittanica 2007. The Arabs of Palestine began widely using the term Palestinian starting in the pre-World War I period to indicate the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people.( B Lewis 1999). Semites and Anti-Semites , An Inquiry into Conflict and Prejudice .p 169."

You have now posted the following in response for my request for the link to this statement:

"Search Results
The term “Palestinian” - All about Oscar
kids.britannica.com/oscar/article-45075
The Arabs of Palestine began widely using the term Palestinian starting in the pre-World War I period to indicate the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people.
Historic Palestine, Israel, and the Emerging Palestinian Autonomous ...
https://books.google.com.au/books?isbn=1615303154
Laura Etheredge - 2011 - ‎Juvenile Nonfiction
The Arabs of Palestine began widely using the term “Palestinian” starting in the pre-World War I period to indicate the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people."

What is puzzling is that there appears to be no reference in either of the above links to Lewis's book quoted by you - which I thought was the source on which this wide sweeping and unsubstaniated statement was based.

Am I mistaken?

If so - Why did you mention the Lewis Book in your first post with a specific reference to page 169 if it is of no relevance - as your latest post omitting any refence to the Lewis book as the source now seems to imply?

Is there any link to substantiate the identical statement made in both kids.brittanica and the Laura Ethredge book that "The Arabs of Palestine began widely using the term Palestinian starting in the pre-World War I period to indicate the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people."

This statement needs to be backed up by some evidence to substantiate it - as was Pipe's statement which is totally at odds with the above statement when stating -"The three main political organizations in Palestine-the Arab Club, the Literary Club, and the Muslim-Christian Association (the lack of mention of Palestine in their names is revealing) -- all worked for union with Syria. .
Posted by david singer, Tuesday, 30 August 2016 2:27:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14