The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Jordan is not Palestine > Comments

Jordan is not Palestine : Comments

By David Faber, published 29/8/2012

Jordan is not Palestine any more than New Zealand is Australia. The sense of belonging to place, the idea of homeland is what is at issue here.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I see no compelling evidence in this article that we all have to have a homeland.
Since the end of WW1 we have gone from a population of just one billion to seven! Many displaced by wars and or ethnic cleansing?
My ancestral roots are primarily Scottish and Irish.
I'm a triple distilled Celt?
The highland clearances moved my Scottish forebears out of their traditional homelands!
The English invasion, the black and tans, enforced migration and the potato famine dislocated many or most of my Irish forbears.
I don't waste my valuable and limited time obsessing about these facts; or the injustice of enforced relocation, from what were once traditional homelands.
War is never ever an answer!
Nobody but nobody ever wins a war.
War simply creates even more hate, victims and dislocation!
I've accepted the historical facts, that are and remain irreversible!
In an obviously overpopulated world people have to move, and others need to make room for them.
The sons and daughters of Abraham, all of them, whether Jew or Arab, need to set aside perceived difference.
American/European Jews need to understand they were dispossessed or moved away through their own volition.
I simply could not go to Scotland/Ireland and claim any inheritance or historical rights!
Nor can anyone else, who is at least three generations removed from so called historical roots, even if it is written in some revered book, that I/they have inalienable rights, or a genetic heritage!
Were it entirely up to me, I would lock up Middle East or Jew and Arab leaders, in a room, until they sorted out a plan, they were all completely committed to, as the way forward and a peaceful outcome.
It clearly is in Israel's interests, as never before, to settle any current impasse.
A two states solution and agreed final borders is now no longer option, but a doable essential must.
And this essential outcome cannot be deferred or prevented by very cunning political activists or Iranian sympathisers, whose real goal is even more unrest/unresolved issues and eventual expansion/control/exploitation?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 11:47:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Surely ethnic cleansing implies something done to one ethnicity by another. If we can agree on that, then I would object to the proposition that since 1948, 800,000 Jews have been "ethnically cleansed" from Arab lands.
The Jewish residents of countries from Morocco to Ethiopia to Yemen to Iraq and points in between moved to Israel either on their own or at the urging of the Zionists in Israel. A greater Jewish population was needed in Israel, and any notion of a Jewish story other than that being propagated by the Zionists had to be snuffed out.
I think it's too late for a two state solution. One state from the sea to the river, democracy under one person / one vote, right-of-return enshrined for all and let justice be done and seen to be done.
And then let's open up the archives. Oy vey!
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 12:57:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Israel is now ruled by a fanatical bunch of sociopathic crazies. They are hell bent on attacking Iran and when they do, which is for all intent purposes a 'given' the world will see the real hypocrisy of the legitimacy of the Jewish nation," says Geoff of Perth.

Hypocrisy is not the only thing the world will see, Geoff. It will also see the Satanic deal which has been done by the U.S. and Israel, one that will turn the Middle East into a nuclear wasteland.

Remember there are Christian as well as Jewish crazies who are eagerly awaiting the Rapture when, as the fires burn and millions die, they think they will go to heaven without dying.

That people could believe this nonsense shows the level of derangement that religion creates.

Religion is a curse, one that divides and deludes mankind!
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 1:08:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Geoff,

Technically indeed, Israel pre-empted the war in 1967 in order to break the Egyptian marine siege in the straits of Tiran and the military build-up against it, but it only attacked the air-forces of Egypt and Syria and truly hoped that Jordan stays out of it. Only when the Jordanians started bombarding Western Jerusalem, Israel had no choice but to enter that third front. Even Dayan, despite his greed to increase his private archeological collection, could not do a thing had Jordan abstained from heavily bombarding the civilian population of Western Jerusalem.

Israel will never attack Iran for the simple reason that it has no such capability to stop its nuclear program - a barking dog does not bite. The Americans however may, as they have much more.

I care not for Jewish nationality, but for the lives of my family in Israel who are themselves victims of Jewish nationality. Unfortunately, bullets, bombs, missiles and the like know no nationalistic boundaries.

Dear Halduell,

Oy Vey indeed - would you trust the residents of the Middle-East to maintain democracy and not slaughter their minorities? The Copts are already fleeing Egypt and just look how fun it is to be a minority in Syria and Iran. So no thanks, I'll give it a miss - better be alive than politically-just.

I do support a two-state solution, having Israel with a tiny area but armed to its teeth. I do not expect peace in any case as we all know too well that this is the Middle-East.

Dear David,

Please don't blame religion - Judaism is not a religion, but merely a tribal-identity which tactically hides under the guise of religion. Even the desire of Christian fundamentalists for rapture is selfish and have nothing to do with true religion. Jesus would have never supported it.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 1:19:51 PM
No, Yuyutsu, Israel was ALWAYS going to attack Jordan. They held Jerusalem, and without Jerusalem, Israel was only half realised.
Dayan's private archeological collection had nothing to do with it.
Speaking of mistreating minorities, have you been following what happens to immigrants, women and Palestinians in Israel?
Israel's need for dominance started as tribal identity wrapped in religion spurred by oppression. Now its water. And water just might be the name of the main game for the foreseeable future.
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 3:22:20 PM
Further to my last post, please read http://972mag.com/israeli-army-destroys-water-cisterns-and-dwellings-in-southern-west-bank/54743/
This article is from an Israeli website.
In the desert it's always all about water.
But to be realistic, life itself is always all about water. With it we can attempt anything. Without it we perish and die. That's simply life as it is on our changing planet.
And Yuyutsu, when speaking of mistreating minorities, I forgot to mention the IDF's treatment of children. There are some truly damning articles on the same website as the one cited above, if you have the open-mindedness to look.
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 4:25:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy