The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Proud to be an Australian Muslim > Comments

Proud to be an Australian Muslim : Comments

By Mohammed Ali, published 4/5/2011

My Australian identity and my religion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
Jewelery,

I am not here to defend the churches. The Catholic and Anglican church is extremely wealthy. However, parish priests and clerics in other demoninations aren't. Many years ago, I knew a priest whose family purchased clothes for him; in turn he gave these to the poor. This was not uncommon.

Incidentally, I am not a christian ... so am not pushing this barrow.

There are many, many unpaid volunteers in religious organisation who give thousands of hours to the needy, not only during disasters but by the daily running of centres, such as soup kitchens, centres for distributing clothes and food for the poor, even assistance to families when in financial difficulties such as electricity bills. The money received is not a loan, but given freely.

If these organisations folded, the government would have to step in ... and the government does not have the unpaid volunteer base that the former have. What the government gives to such organisations (also non-religious ones) is a drop in the bucket compared with what they would otherwise have to find.

Also, donations given for disaster relief funnelled through government organisations are soaked up by the various adminstrative bodies, with little of the donations actually reaching those who need it. I think you will find that with non-government bodies, as mentioned above, those needing financial and practical help actually receive it with little, if indeed any, syphoning off.

You mention religious organisations, but there are many non-religious organisations who assist the poor in exactly the same way, and who function vv the government, as do the religious ones.

Also ,,, Jewelry ... I think we have rather gone off track :-)
Posted by Danielle, Sunday, 8 May 2011 7:39:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you note the topic,"Proud to be an Australian Muslim". Identifies a peculiar religious order of Australia. He could have said, "Proud to be Australian" or "proud to be a Muslim". What is an Australian Muslim, are they any different to a Parkistani or Egyptian Muslim?

There seems to be a nationalist cover for his pride, and to criticise his Muslim beliefs makes one unaustralian. I do not call myself an Australian Christian, though I am both Australian and Christian. One identity does not identify the other. Christianity is not identifed as Australian, though it has deeply influenced much of our freedoms and cultural heritage.

There is a subconscious agenda behind his pride - to identify a peculiar Australian Muslim culture, as though it is typically Australian. We in Australia have all the typical muslim character as we see demonstrated every where else in the world.

There is no typical Australian Muslim. So what does he mean?
Posted by Philo, Sunday, 8 May 2011 8:36:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Danni:”What the government gives to such organisations (also non-religious ones) is a drop in the bucket compared with what they would otherwise have to find.”

Maybe some areas of their work but others they are making a mint.

“You mention religious organisations, but there are many non-religious organisations who assist the poor in exactly the same way, and who function vv the government, as do the religious ones.”

Yep for sure but it is the Christian ones that lobby for the contracts most successfully that is advantageous to their non-christian buddies. Leaches on leaches.

Danni:“I knew a priest whose family purchased clothes for him; in turn he gave these to the poor.”

Hmm... this is something I do as well. Not for charitable reasons mind.

We so went off track. It was a strange article to begin mixing up the religion with the race.

Philo:”…and to criticise his Muslim beliefs makes one unaustralian…”

I didn’t get that bit out of the article, it was as soon as the word “racist” appeared that nothing made sense to me.
Posted by Jewely, Monday, 9 May 2011 7:55:18 AM
Well said Philio, it is unAustralian to criticize another for their belief. I am Australian, I am a Christian.
I go to a Church with hundreds of people, and our Church is broke, people give but the need keeps getting bigger.There is always another knock on the door.
Jewery, "Leaches on Leaches"? Church people are normal people like you giving for the sake of giving, not to get anything in return but to help another person, and we have to work hard on our attitudes in order to keep doing what we do when all we get is criticism. It is a choice the individual makes.
I personnally think a church should be broke because it gives everything away to whoever has a need.
Danni is right, most Churches and Christian organisations are self funded ( I can vouch for that), the government hardly gives anything to them, if at all.
When was the last time YOU went undercover in a brothel and purchased a little girl only to give her her life back... Destiny Rescue - self funded
Or got on a ship and went to offer free medical and supplies for those in oppressive countries - Operation Mobilization - self funded.
Or sent millions of Christmas presents to children who live in mud and have nothing - Operation Christmas Child - self funded.
Or paid for a water pump and filter to be placed in a remote town to drink stop disease? Clean Water for life - Samaritans Purse - self funded.
Or instead of buying yourself a gift for your birthday you sent a family a cow so they could generate their own funds and feed themselves? - Compassion - self funded
Lastly so as not to bore you with too many facts, sponsored a child every month with your own money so they can get their own countries education, health,clothing and supplies to have a chance to grow like we take for granted? Compassion; Destiny Rescues 26 second challenge - self funded...
A Fact is a Fact!Get back the the thread because you are wrong.
Posted by Rebecca6, Monday, 9 May 2011 10:44:53 AM
Hello Rebecca8,
I do not particularly care if you waste your precious time at church each Sunday.
The fact that your church is broke is really good news.
Please for humanity sake sell your church and everything in it, give nothing back to your head church.
Give the money raised to Doctors Without Borders.
They are the only organisation that I know that would not go into a brothel and buy an underage child only if they promise to give their life to Jesus.
You list a large number of organisations doing good deeds in the world.
But none of them could do anything more than a atheist charity if we were able to get the tax breaks that a lot of religious ones get.
Posted by ponde, Monday, 9 May 2011 11:49:22 AM
oh ponde, these girls are put in a home with parents from their own culture, their circumstances are investigated and reintegration if possible with their families or educated and skilled so they can have a better life, and set up with their own independence, you speak on things you know nothing of, All this is done because we value life and the crimes committed to these girls are acknowledged as being disgusting but no-one hears their screams therefore we should just leave them?.
This is not about converting..how many times does the word love come up and is just skimmed over.
The Thread is on How a man can call himself a 'Proud Australian Muslim"..a contradictory in terms. An Australian values freedom of rights including religion and marital partners, the right to enjoy sex equally and decide our own futures plus many more. A muslim does not believe in these things demonstrated by their failure to integrate, their female circumcision, honor killings, burning of their women and raping of our women. Talk about these things and leave Churches alone, have you been to one lately, been the treasurer? It is our gathering place, they have always been and will always be, if you don't like them - don't go to one. and don't give of your money; that is the freedom we enjoy in our country. Get back on topic.
Posted by Rebecca6, Monday, 9 May 2011 12:40:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All