The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Obama accelerates, Israel graduates, the West Bank separates > Comments

Obama accelerates, Israel graduates, the West Bank separates : Comments

By David Singer, published 19/5/2010

Israel’s admission to the OECD comes at an important time as it steels itself to make further concessions to the Palestinian Authority.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Yuyutsu wrote:"Israel must change its ways."

I would agree if there was any liklihood of it happening. But Israel has been told that many times, not only by its enemies but by its allies and even by some of its citizens.

How do you propose getting Israel to change, bearing in mind that its behaviour has been consistent for 60 years? My proposal might be called rather drastic, but at least it would be effective and is likely to be approved by all of Israel's neighbours.
Posted by Forkes, Sunday, 23 May 2010 10:42:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Forkes, your idea of dismantling Israel is one that I have often canvassed.

Israel has had sixty years to prove to the world that it can be a nation that abides by the rules that govern all other nations. It has failed that test completely and instead, it has implemented a Nazi-style, military occupation upon the Palestinians.

According to Al Jazeera, there is an aid convoy of nine ships that will assemble and make their way to Gaza in the next few days carrying 5,000 tons of building supplies, school supplies, and medicines. Israel has already said the convoy won't be allowed to discharge its cargo because it breaks 'Israeli Law'.

It seems that 'Israeli Law' applies not only to the Palestinians but right across the whole Arab neighborhood. It has led to Israel bombing other countries and even enables Israel to consider nuking Iran, an act which could kill millions and set off WW3.

Clearly, Israel is a menace to the whole world. The world would be a better, more safer place if the State of Israel didn't exist and its people were dispersed to other countries where they can't have armies.
Posted by David G, Sunday, 23 May 2010 2:04:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You cant blame every Israeli for the crimes of their leadership. Indeed how could you reconcile that outlook with Arab Israeli citizens? Are they guilty too?
There are plenty of Israelis that dont agree with their governments actions and plenty of jews worldwide who object. That they are drowned out by the propaganda of the likes of singer just means it is up to the rest of us to assist them in their struggle for justice.

Just saying all jews are bad and they need to be dispersed is no better than what you accuse them of. You dont achieve justice by victimising people even if they deserve it. Israel and the zionists must be made to see the error of their expansionist ways by force of argument, international law and pressure from the international community not by force of arms (which is what it would take to dismantle Israel) or conflict or terror.
Posted by mikk, Sunday, 23 May 2010 4:03:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Forkes,

I do not agree that Israel's behaviour has been consistent for 60 years. While it is not good at the moment, there were times when Israel offered great concessions, gave back the Sinai peninsula to Egypt, twice withdrew from Lebanon and Gaza and offered back about 97% of the West Bank.

Israel is a very divided society, so at times some forces within it have the upper-hand and at other times, opposite forces have it. If you want to get Israel to change, you must be intelligent about it, you must offer both carrot and stick, for if you offer the stick alone, you would force moderate israelis straight into the arms of their fanatic extremists.

On the carrot's side, Israel can be offered international acceptence, financial aid, admission into the EU, pressuring Hamas to release Gilad Shalit (and to avoid kidnapping others), security measures/guarantees, etc. Also, the international community should set up a fund to buy off lands/buildings from Israelis who wish to leave the West Bank (and Eastern Jerusalem), then sell them more cheaply to local Arabs.

On the stick's side, the UN must resolve and declare unequivocally that Israel's 1949-1967 borders are its final borders and list the Jewish settlers as a terrorist organization, making it illegal to visit them or support them financially, including an official boycot of, and the demand to label, all produce from Jewish West-Bank settlements.

The international community should hurry making this firm stand because Israel's demography is changing and time is not of advantage: the settlers and their supporters deliberately breed faster than sane israelis, already forcing out many despairing sane Israelis that are able to leave, leaving behind the weak and the poor that cannot leave who are also more easily influenceable by fanatics.

David-G.,

Attitutes such as yours are self-fulfilling, leaving ordinary Israelis with no choice but to fight back desperately with their backs to the Mediterranean, shoulder-to-shoulder with those filthy settlers, ending up using their nukes and indeed becoming a menace to the world. You are creating this nightmare with your own hands.

Mikk, thank you.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 23 May 2010 4:39:27 PM
David G, "Attitutes such as yours are self-fulfilling, leaving ordinary Israelis with no choice but to fight back desperately with their backs to the Mediterranean, shoulder-to-shoulder with those filthy settlers, ending up using their nukes and indeed becoming a menace to the world. You are creating this nightmare with your own hands." So said Yuyutsu.

I've been accused of many things in my life but this is the first time I've ever been accused of creating the nightmare that Israel has become. How did I do it? And, blimey, I never even noticed.

This kind of ridiculous comment highlights the insanity that accompanies religious fanaticism.
Posted by David G, Sunday, 23 May 2010 5:19:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David G.,

I don't suspect for a moment that you have such destructive intentions or ever noticed it, but that is the inadvertent result of such attitudes towards Israel.

Would it surprise you that people are usually not too fond of dying prematurely, or of becoming homeless wanderers?

Suppose you, though obviously not suspected of religious fanaticism, were subjected to the following bitter choice, to either:

1. Leave your home behind, try to find a place somewhere else in the world to start-over, or if you can't (perhaps nobody wants you, or perhaps for example you were taking care of elderly parents who are too frail to go anywhere), get drowned in the ocean instead ; or
2. Join forces with a group of religious fanatics: you have very little in common with them, you hate their views, you hate seeing their face, and you know that they will require you to perform disgusting atrocities of a kind, but in collaboration with them you will survive and be able to keep your home, family and community together.

Now honestly, which option would you choose?

I guess that if you were one of the lucky: young (though not too young), healthy, educated and able, with language skills and no family obligations, you would leave and find yourself a different country, but the majority who cannot, will fight to the bitter end, and take the world down with them if necessary.

Israelis grew up with the knowledge that surrounding Arabs want to throw them into the Mediterranean sea. It doesn't matter why, or who was right or wrong - it all happened before they were born anyway, so they acquired nukes to protect themselves. Now, while I abhor the settlers and the expansionist policies of the Israeli government, I am glad that those nuclear weapons are available to keep my family safe and prevent them from being kicked out of home by "do-gooders" to become either fish-food or refugees.

If you're after doing a good turn,
SAVE MY FAMILY, REMOVE THOSE BLOODY CANCEROUS SETTLERS AWAY FROM THEM, BUT DON'T KILL THEM ALONG!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 23 May 2010 9:49:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy