The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > CCP Hacking

CCP Hacking

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
CM,

Thank you. There seem to be two main types of people these days: mental defectives whose only relief from their problems and failings is arguing and putting others down; and the reality-deniers who, like ostriches, bury their heads in the sand thinking that if they can't see they can't be seen. Fortunately, there's still a handful of people here to give hope while others rant and rave. I have recently fallen into the trap of arguing with idiots, but it seems to spur them on - it's just how they are. I will continue to do what I do - as everyone should - and refuse to "let others distract" me. Bugger them. Their cancel culture is nothing more than old fashioned cowardly bullying.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 2 February 2022 7:58:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"As for channel 72, it's one of the better free to air channels despite its lack of new content."

Maybe its one of the better free to air channels BECAUSE of its lack of new content.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 2 February 2022 10:19:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AC,

72, like all the other tack on channels from other networks, exists only to sell more advertising. Everything on them has been on the parent channel, repeated several times, than put on a permanent loop, repeated forever.

72 repeats not only its own stuff, but bandicoots much of its repeats from the ABC.

I used to watch ten year old episodes of Bargain Hunt before Tim Wannacott fell from grace, circa 2008. Then recent 'new' episodes were proudly introduced, made on 2012, no more Tim.

After a few episodes, the loop jerked back 15 years to a much younger Tim.

Anyone who says they watch 72 because they haven't seen the rubbish before has been a long time without a TV set.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 2 February 2022 10:49:53 AM
The illegal hacking is pretty easy with systems like windows which
rely on operating system controlling where a program can access in memory.
My early experience was with a system that had a 4 bit hardware protection
so only a program allocated that 4 bit tag and operating in an area of
memory with that tag could access that data. Never heard of it being
hacked.
Still with modern machines, they seem to be open slather.
The common PC hardware would seem to be impossible to protect.
If you could get a routine into memory, so long as it did not rely
on the resident operating system away it could go.

Anyway with Linux, I do not run any virus etc etc software just run
as it comes, but just yesterday saw a report of a script that a normal
user can run that gives that user root privilages.
Probably will be fixed very soon, just noticed an update has arrived.
Never had to stop or repair illicit hacks so maybe I have been lucky.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 3 February 2022 4:10:59 PM
Bazz was that a Burroughs machine that you're talking about? The B5000 series, which started production in the 1960, had a tagged memory architecture that sounds like the sort of thing you've mentioned. These machines were way ahead of their time. The tagged memory was basically a object capabilities security architecture at the hardware level.

The good news is that object capabilities are now making a comeback but not with tagged memory in hardware but with system software for standard off-the-shelf virtual memory management units and protection rings/domains found in modern processors. However, due to modern processors allowing attached devices direct access to memory (DMA and the like) you need to have the input/output virtualised as well (IOMMU). Most recent advanced chips have features like this today.

Here's the world's most highly assured system kernel (it's a micro-kernel) and it uses such an object capabilities architecture: http://sel4.systems/ . Unfortunately, at the moment the main-line of this kernel doesn't do multi-core, but there working on it. By-the-way: this kernel is made right here in Australia :)

There are various projects around the world that are working on developing a desktop operating system based on sel4.
There are also a few companies that are developing systems based on it that require extreme reliability and security (eg: self driving cars start ups, defense contractors, etc.)

Sel4 and its developing ecosystem is enticingly interesting from an investment point of view- that's why I'm interested in it.
Posted by thinkabit, Thursday, 3 February 2022 4:54:43 PM
Tab,

ttbn will run your last post through the good old Commadore 64 and if it pasts the test he'll give it the thumbs up, providing the Chinks aint hacking away at it with an axe.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 3 February 2022 7:59:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy