The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > CCP Hacking

CCP Hacking

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
TAB, a great piece of knowledge on computers. ttbn, seen China, hacking, and immediately jumped to the wrong conclusion. "Yep, those nasty Chinese are up to their old tricks again, HACKING!

BTW, my new Chinese made toaster I got from K-Mart has been hacked, its burning my toast. Can't trust the Chinese.

Indy, do you believe all that anti-worker guff you write. And to think it's hard working Australians who for years have been paying your aged welfare handout.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 31 January 2022 5:21:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Chinese trying to bribe the Oxford students explicitly referred to the exercise as a "hackathon". As I said, 44% of Australians are functionally illiterate, and 80% of them don't read or write very well. Obviously we have two of them on OLO, one of whom thinks that the more words he bangs out, the smarter he looks. Wrong! He clearly hasn't heard of 'KISS'. As for his cancel culture buddy - well, he is Paul 1405. Nothing more need be said.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 31 January 2022 5:50:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
FFS ttbn, you are a very pigheaded slow learner!

Hackathons like this are common. Many tech companies do them!! And as I've already explained their purpose is to IMPROVE computer security generally and not the opposite. The people who participate aren't being bribed! But rather they are being rewarded, in a competition setting, for finding security flaws. These flaws will then be fixed/removed by the companies who own the software containing them.

This *OBVIOUSLY* directly improves computer security!

Without these competitions to entice genius coders (these people are literally geniuses- they have extremely high IQs) to test/probe the software then these companies would be ignorant to the fact that their code has security issues. Also, the tactics/methods used by contestants to utilise these flaws are also studied so that companies can better understand why the flaws are flaws. This newly revealed knowledge can help the companies produce better software in the future.

Here's the pwn2own competition from last year: http://www.secwest.net/pwn2ownaustin2021 , it had $US500,000 in prizes to be won.
Yes, that number is correct- Half a million US dollars!!
That makes Hwuwei's $AU28,500 competition that you've mentioned mere peanuts in comparison.
This particular competition is a huge yearly event that many coders mark on their calendars. The organisers broadcast the event on the internet, and it is quite an attraction for them (the other lesser coders) to watch these creme-de-la-creme whiz-kids crack the into the systems. For them the entertainment they derive from it is very similar to how many "ocker" men are entertained by watching sport. Personally, I would find it as boring as batsh!te.
Posted by thinkabit, Monday, 31 January 2022 10:13:23 PM
Well done TAB,

You've once more ran rings around the Old Fart on a subject he knows absolutely nothing about. I'm sure he spends his days pacing around his bed/sit repeating over and over to himself; "CHINA BAD!..CHINA BAD!" It's ignorant people like ttbn who cause wars in the world.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 1 February 2022 4:28:25 AM
ttbn.

Cruise through the research below link, it may shine some light on the 80% apparent dumb of the population, and how they fit into the political landscape.

http://hiddentribes.us/

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 1 February 2022 5:55:42 AM
CHINA BAD.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/22/01/27/mandatory-olympics-ios-and-android-apps-are-spying-on-athletes-for-china

Why are we sending our kids to this authoritarian hell-hole?

Perhaps to prepare them for their future?

I wonder how many times the Uighurs will be mentioned on the Olympic telecasts?
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 1 February 2022 7:30:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy