The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Biloela family could be sent to NZ or US, as mother pleads from her daughter's sick bed

Biloela family could be sent to NZ or US, as mother pleads from her daughter's sick bed

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All
"An absolute disgrace on Australia's part, we should hang our heads in shame. Where is our compassion? Nowhere to be seen! I don't give a fig as to legality of it all, what I know is this family is well though of in their community, which is the town of Biloela Queensland. not Sri Lanka, America or New Zealand. These are the kind of folk we want to settle in Australia, they contribute, they are civic minded, they are an asset to Australia."

I agree with Paul, except for one point:
Why should I hang my head in shame for something the Canberra regime does and is not within my control?

The central regime is not really afraid of boat-people - that is only an excuse: what scares them most is the daring of the people of Biloela, including even their local member and their attempt at self-determination.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 10 June 2021 12:22:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi ttbn,
I'm not sure I remember all the exact details of their illegality.
I just remember they were here living and working here already and a whole town wanted them to stay.

"Let these people stay, and the gates will open again."

- Well I'm sure you know that's the last thing I want.
And if that's what's going to happen, then maybe I'm wrong and my original thoughts are still correct.

- But I don't remember thinking to myself that these people would be a danger to Australia if they stayed.
My issue at the time if I remember correctly, was that I'd be happy to let them stay;
- If only they were deported and then came back in following the right processes.

In other words if they just went home, filled out the right papers and emailed them back to Australia, Id've had those new applications processed immediately and they could come back.

- The whole thing could've been done in a week, that's what I would've done.

2 years on, the problem is still unresolved.
Yes the PM's religion is irrelevant, even the fact that there's a kid who it seems isn't well, I could heartlessly argue is also irrelevant.

- But if I were honest I do think it does have some effect on my judgement the fact that it's a family with a small child, who 1/ lived here already, and who 2/ Aussies themselves supported to stay,

Beyond that, I just think the whole things a 'bad look'.
Nothing's been resolved and it really doesn't make us look like decent people leaving them in limbo for so long.
If they were actually decent people who would've contributed and become good citizens, then I hope we haven't now made them hate us.

- And I say that also pointing out that I don't particularly like so many immigrants, or multiculturalism.

But is there not any other way we can resolve this situation at all and put an end to it?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 10 June 2021 2:32:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The family arrived without visas. They were considered
"unlawful maritime arrivals." They have been engaged in
legal appeals since 2012. The Department of Home
Affairs attempted to deport the family from a detention
centre in Melbourne to Sri Lanka. The deportation was
interrupted mid flight after an urgent injunction from
the Federal Court - when the plane was forced to land in
Darwin and the family was taken to the immigration Centre
on Christmas Island pending the outcome of the court
appeal.

All this came about after the family had initially settled
in the Queensland town of Biloela - who welcomed the
family and have been actively campaigning for them to
" Come Home to Bilo."

The health and welfare of the sick child - at the very
least - provides a clear reason to release the family
from detention.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 June 2021 10:16:02 AM
If we weaken on this, we will be flooded with illegal boat people again. We have the lesson of Rudd-Labor's "compassion" to remind us.

For those of you wanting to invoke Morrison's Christianity (real or pretended), you are forgetting that you are the same people, in the main, who either sneer at and rubbish Christianity, or who are the first to tell us that religion and politics do not mix in our secular country

You are also urging our PM To break this country's laws on immigration and border protection.

Despite the fact that we are a relatively small power, the rest of the world watches us. The mighty US is standing against China more because little old Australia was first to demand an investigation into the source of Covid. The rest of the world is envious of our success in stopping illegal immigration. For all his faults, Morrison is going to be listened to at the G7, if his recent speech is anything to go by.

The only people in the wrong in this matter are, two illegal entrants from Sri Lanka, and open- borders, white-anting, Marxist Australians. The two innocent children being used as pawns are their victims, not the Australian government's.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 10 June 2021 10:39:51 AM
The deportation of this family to Sri Lanka was
stopped mid flight with an injunction from
the Federal Court. This should not have happened.
This situation could have ended with the deportation.
It didn't. Now the federal government has to wear
it and make a final decision.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 June 2021 10:50:47 AM
ttbn,

<<For those of you wanting to invoke Morrison's Christianity (real or pretended), you are forgetting that you are the same people, in the main, who either sneer at and rubbish Christianity, or who are the first to tell us that religion and politics do not mix in our secular country>>

I don't feel that. I think one should practice what they preach. If the Prime Minister feels the bible is important then the good elements can be interwoven into his day to day life and decision making. If anything it could show that there are many good things to come from Christianity and the Bible that can be part of day to day life and provide good outcomes for the public. It may also uplift the reputation of Christianity.

For example the bible says: "I was a stranger and you invited me in." —Matthew 25:35.

There are other examples at: http://www.worldvision.org/refugees-news-stories/what-does-bible-say-about-refugees

Considering the loss of respect for Politicians by many, there is nothing to lose from embracing principles of religion with decision making. Decisions coming from principles within the Bible and other religious books leading to the betterment of others, including the Biloela family can only be something to applaud and something I have no problem with.
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 10 June 2021 11:17:08 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy