The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Biloela family could be sent to NZ or US, as mother pleads from her daughter's sick bed

Biloela family could be sent to NZ or US, as mother pleads from her daughter's sick bed

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. All
Australia's Foreign Minister says the government is not looking to resettle a family of Tamil asylum seekers in the country, hours after the mother made a plea from her daughter's hospital bed to return to central Queensland.

Three-year-old Tharnicaa Murugappan was flown to Perth Children's Hospital this week after experiencing vomiting, diarrhoea and dizziness for several days.

WA Premier Mark McGowan has stated Tharnicaa may have to remain in hospital "for a considerable period, that the illness is very dangerous and that she'll receive all of the medical attention that she needs to get her better and he doesn't know how long her treatment will take."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-08/biloela-mother-in-plea-from-perth-hospital/100199624?utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf246577325&utm_campaign=abc_adelaide&utm_source=m.facebook.com&sf246577325=1&fbclid=IwAR1XcEOl5jn3vAowf_eQpPxm4tmm9rEwHZRJmUD4KN7UfDK-xq-PtTqlC94

Should the family be allowed to stay in Australia? Should they be deported overseas? Is such a move heartless from a Prime Minister who is meant to be Christian? Should the federal government show some compassion here and back off a bit from their tough stance on refugees when it's only one family?
Posted by NathanJ, Wednesday, 9 June 2021 3:11:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kick them out as soon as the child recovers. See my post below for the reasons. Australia must not compromise its immigration laws, or the 'boat people' nonsense will start again. These people have no right to be in Australia.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 9 June 2021 5:17:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An absolute disgrace on Australia's part, we should hang our heads in shame. Where is our compassion? Nowhere to be seen! I don't give a fig as to legality of it all, what I know is this family is well though of in their community, which is the town of Biloela Queensland. not Sri Lanka, America or New Zealand. These are the kind of folk we want to settle in Australia, they contribute, they are civic minded, they are an asset to Australia.

I've had a Liberal voting friend, local Christian people all incensed by the heavy handed action of the Federal government. Even the local Liberal MP called for their permanent settlement in Biloela. I've only read one well known forum racists making negative comment so far.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 9 June 2021 6:14:17 PM
Is such a move heartless from a Prime Minister who is meant to be Christian? Should the federal government show some compassion here and back off a bit from their tough stance on refugees when it's only one family?"

In the beginning I was all for rules, deport them send them back.
- Then let them come back to Australia if they simply follow the right process.

You know a whole town of Aussies (well maybe not all of them)
fought for these people to stay.

I wish they had made a show of sending them back, with strict instructions that they WILL BE allowed back in IF they follow the right process.

Two years on Christmas Island in limbo when you've got kids is a bit harsh.
So I'm changing my stance on this, to your questions.

"Should the family be allowed to stay in Australia?"
Yes
"Should they be deported overseas?"
They probably should've been, but I think they've paid a big enough price on Christmas Island to deter others from doing the wrong thing.
"Is such a move heartless from a Prime Minister who is meant to be Christian?"
Yes, but maybe he's trying to not bend rules or make exceptions.
"Should the federal government show some compassion here and back off a bit from their tough stance on refugees when it's only one family?" No they shouldn't change their tough stand on refugees;
- but Yes I think they should show some compassion in this instance.
Pretty sure the kids already went to school here already didn't they?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 9 June 2021 6:38:03 PM
ttbn, why wait until the little girl Tharnicaa recovers, show them how tough we are, how intractable we are, and throw them out NOW! Show what a tough bunch Australians are, what a tough government we have. When we're not killing innocent Afghan farmers, we're kicking out sick children. In fact I'd vote for you to be the chief kicker-outer! A tough old bloke like you would be good at kicking out sick children! Especially the non white verity!

And you call yourself an Australian.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 9 June 2021 10:45:11 PM
AC,

"Is such a move heartless from a Prime Minister who is meant to be Christian?"

I don't know whether Morrison is a Christian or if he just says he is; but it's irrelevant. Being a Christian does not excuse anyone from doing the job they are sworn to do - in his case, upholding the law, and protecting the integrity of Australia's immigration and border policies. It's all very well for people without responsibility to go weak at the knees just because a child - who wouldn't be here if the selfish parents had not ignored the warning that having children would not change their illegal status - is involved. Do gooders and virtue signallers do not have to bear the responsibility of what could happen if the government does not hold the line. People smugglers are patiently waiting to start up again. Let these people stay, and the gates will open again.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 9 June 2021 11:24:26 PM
"An absolute disgrace on Australia's part, we should hang our heads in shame. Where is our compassion? Nowhere to be seen! I don't give a fig as to legality of it all, what I know is this family is well though of in their community, which is the town of Biloela Queensland. not Sri Lanka, America or New Zealand. These are the kind of folk we want to settle in Australia, they contribute, they are civic minded, they are an asset to Australia."

I agree with Paul, except for one point:
Why should I hang my head in shame for something the Canberra regime does and is not within my control?

The central regime is not really afraid of boat-people - that is only an excuse: what scares them most is the daring of the people of Biloela, including even their local member and their attempt at self-determination.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 10 June 2021 12:22:10 AM
Hi ttbn,
I'm not sure I remember all the exact details of their illegality.
I just remember they were here living and working here already and a whole town wanted them to stay.

"Let these people stay, and the gates will open again."

- Well I'm sure you know that's the last thing I want.
And if that's what's going to happen, then maybe I'm wrong and my original thoughts are still correct.

- But I don't remember thinking to myself that these people would be a danger to Australia if they stayed.
My issue at the time if I remember correctly, was that I'd be happy to let them stay;
- If only they were deported and then came back in following the right processes.

In other words if they just went home, filled out the right papers and emailed them back to Australia, Id've had those new applications processed immediately and they could come back.

- The whole thing could've been done in a week, that's what I would've done.

2 years on, the problem is still unresolved.
Yes the PM's religion is irrelevant, even the fact that there's a kid who it seems isn't well, I could heartlessly argue is also irrelevant.

- But if I were honest I do think it does have some effect on my judgement the fact that it's a family with a small child, who 1/ lived here already, and who 2/ Aussies themselves supported to stay,

Beyond that, I just think the whole things a 'bad look'.
Nothing's been resolved and it really doesn't make us look like decent people leaving them in limbo for so long.
If they were actually decent people who would've contributed and become good citizens, then I hope we haven't now made them hate us.

- And I say that also pointing out that I don't particularly like so many immigrants, or multiculturalism.

But is there not any other way we can resolve this situation at all and put an end to it?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 10 June 2021 2:32:14 AM
The family arrived without visas. They were considered
"unlawful maritime arrivals." They have been engaged in
legal appeals since 2012. The Department of Home
Affairs attempted to deport the family from a detention
centre in Melbourne to Sri Lanka. The deportation was
interrupted mid flight after an urgent injunction from
the Federal Court - when the plane was forced to land in
Darwin and the family was taken to the immigration Centre
on Christmas Island pending the outcome of the court
appeal.

All this came about after the family had initially settled
in the Queensland town of Biloela - who welcomed the
family and have been actively campaigning for them to
" Come Home to Bilo."

The health and welfare of the sick child - at the very
least - provides a clear reason to release the family
from detention.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 June 2021 10:16:02 AM
If we weaken on this, we will be flooded with illegal boat people again. We have the lesson of Rudd-Labor's "compassion" to remind us.

For those of you wanting to invoke Morrison's Christianity (real or pretended), you are forgetting that you are the same people, in the main, who either sneer at and rubbish Christianity, or who are the first to tell us that religion and politics do not mix in our secular country

You are also urging our PM To break this country's laws on immigration and border protection.

Despite the fact that we are a relatively small power, the rest of the world watches us. The mighty US is standing against China more because little old Australia was first to demand an investigation into the source of Covid. The rest of the world is envious of our success in stopping illegal immigration. For all his faults, Morrison is going to be listened to at the G7, if his recent speech is anything to go by.

The only people in the wrong in this matter are, two illegal entrants from Sri Lanka, and open- borders, white-anting, Marxist Australians. The two innocent children being used as pawns are their victims, not the Australian government's.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 10 June 2021 10:39:51 AM
The deportation of this family to Sri Lanka was
stopped mid flight with an injunction from
the Federal Court. This should not have happened.
This situation could have ended with the deportation.
It didn't. Now the federal government has to wear
it and make a final decision.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 June 2021 10:50:47 AM
ttbn,

<<For those of you wanting to invoke Morrison's Christianity (real or pretended), you are forgetting that you are the same people, in the main, who either sneer at and rubbish Christianity, or who are the first to tell us that religion and politics do not mix in our secular country>>

I don't feel that. I think one should practice what they preach. If the Prime Minister feels the bible is important then the good elements can be interwoven into his day to day life and decision making. If anything it could show that there are many good things to come from Christianity and the Bible that can be part of day to day life and provide good outcomes for the public. It may also uplift the reputation of Christianity.

For example the bible says: "I was a stranger and you invited me in." —Matthew 25:35.

There are other examples at: http://www.worldvision.org/refugees-news-stories/what-does-bible-say-about-refugees

Considering the loss of respect for Politicians by many, there is nothing to lose from embracing principles of religion with decision making. Decisions coming from principles within the Bible and other religious books leading to the betterment of others, including the Biloela family can only be something to applaud and something I have no problem with.
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 10 June 2021 11:17:08 AM
Assistant Minister for Women - Amanda Stoker says
that the Biloela Tamil family " knew the terms"
of the arrangement with Australia. Their home in
Biloela was raided by authorities. Apparently their
initial reason for coming her was economic. They
lied to Border Security - and changed their story
to being "refugees running from persecution."
The father's travel history disputes that. He was
able to travel backwards and forwards to Sri
Lanka many times with no danger.

Of course the little girl should get all the medical
help she needs. It is a shame though if her parents
are putting their children through all this for
deceptive reasons. I don't envy Karen Andrews,
Alex Hawke or the PM in this situation.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 June 2021 11:38:42 AM
Foxy,

The UN has criticised the poor living standards and conditions in the detention centres of Australia. At least 12 asylum seekers have died in Australian offshore detention centres since 2013, six of them suicides.

The Biloela family have had their health badly affected since being left in detention. During their first months of detention in Melbourne, the girls were only allowed half an hour of play outside each day.

The lack of sunlight led to a vitamin D deficiency, which caused infections and other problems. One of the girls nutritional needs were not met and her teeth started to rot. At age two, she had surgery to have teeth removed.

Their mother suffers ongoing medical problems, including diabetes.

Scared for her safety, last year, the mother had encounters with one of the guards at the detention centre she was in. Seeming drunk she believed he wanted to try touch her body or do something sexual and felt that in how he acted towards her.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56768529

The Biloela family cannot be left in this situation. They should not be sent elsewhere outside of Australia, particularly the US. I agree with Yuyutsu that the Federal Government is more concerned about the people of Biloela overthrowing the Governments control on people. Governments will then having little value due to actions taken by others. Their ability to legislate and control our lives left, right and centre will be lost and that's not what governments want!
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 10 June 2021 1:31:56 PM
These people are lying cue jumping gate crashes, & must be thrown out. They tried it on, & have used idiots in Oz to try to beat our laws.

For these reasons alone, we can't have them win.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 10 June 2021 2:30:40 PM
Dear Foxy,

«The family arrived without visas.»

Same for Captain Cook!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 10 June 2021 2:39:15 PM
It is now up to the government to decide on this
case and do it quickly because as I stated
earlier the health and welfare of the sick child
at the very least provides a clear reason to release
the family from detention.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 June 2021 2:59:55 PM
Dear Nathan,

We've been told the conditions on Christmas Island
for this family were dreadful. Keeping them in
detention has also cost $1.4m in the last year
alone with the total cost to the government of
atempting to deport the parents and their two
children surpassing $6m.

It is morally disgraceful and obscenely expensive.

Surely Australia can do better?
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 June 2021 3:31:47 PM
Hi Foxy,

In total the Federal Government has spent also $7 million to restrain these "dangerous" criminals. The folk of Christmas Island are about 100% in favour of the Biloela family staying in Australia.

Hasbeen, I expect nothing less from a bloke who believes its a good idea to NUK 200 million innocent men, women and children in Pakistan. Remember that call of yours? "Get em', before they get us!"
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 10 June 2021 4:12:05 PM
Nathan,

Fair enough. You must do what you think is right for yourself, as a private citizen; but the PM is not acting as a private citizen - he is doing his job according to Australian legislation. The PM's private beliefs are just that - private and nothing to do with anyone else - certainly nothing to do with the rule of law on which Australia operates.

As far as I am concerned, there is no connection between Christianity or the PM's private beliefs and the matter of illegal immigration: it's purely a legal matter, and we should be pleased that the government is doing its job in upholding the law.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 10 June 2021 4:30:08 PM
The PM has made exceptions to the law in the
past (regarding a disabled woman) and so has
Peter Dutton regarding a nannny. It's up
to the PM now to interfere - or not.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 11 June 2021 9:05:27 AM
Dear Nathan,

I think this Tamil family is very fortunate
in their choice of country - Australia.
Look at all the people supporting them here
and the expense that the Australian government
is going to (legal costs, accommodation, medical
care, et cetera) to ensure that their case is
treated fairly. No wonder they are fighting to
stay.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 11 June 2021 10:51:33 AM
Hi Foxy,

I would think the Biloela family have the support of 80%-90% of thinking, caring Australians. We should all ask the question; Given the same circumstances what would we do in their position. Not a hard answer for most of us, the very same thing. Regardless of the law, regardless of the politics, ask simply, what is the right thing to do? Morrison and his government has been made to look heartless with no compassion on this. The government needs to swallow it pride, and say we heed the message of the Australian people, and the Biloela family are welcome in Australia. If Morrison was to do that he would go up a notch or two in my opinion.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 12 June 2021 5:52:04 AM
Hi Paul,

My husband fully agrees with you. He thinks that
the family should simply be allowed to stay.
For me - I'm not so sure. There are quite a few
things that don't quite add up. Especially the
father's travel history to Sri Lanka - where
he was able to travel as he pleased more than
3 times - and was not arrested or persecuted in
any way.

Also as has already been made quite
clear - they were made aware of their own circumstances
in this country and that they did not qualify as
refugees or for any protection. They came as
"illegals." I know that I probably should be more
sympathetic - and I will be happy for them if they are
allowed to stay. And, I don't know why I feel uneasy
about this entire affair. But I do. I'm glad that
it's not me having to make any decisions.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 June 2021 8:20:34 AM
Foxy,

The children have nothing to do with the actions of their parents. Visas are nothing more than a way to control people and their movement and are on those grounds morally reprehensible.

Visas are also a double standard!

As Yuyutsu has pointed out Captain Cook (if he is a Captain, as some question that), came without a visa and people like yourself and myself benefited from our relatives coming to Australia from elsewhere without visas.

Visa applications give Governments a chance to assess a range of things about people's lives (really an invasion of privacy), deny entry and control lives. Why? There are people who live in Australia who have killed people, use illicit drugs, are alcoholics, commit violence towards others and so forth.

What about these people? Are we sending them to the US or NZ?

The Biloela family (to my knowledge) have done none of this type of activity. They've worked hard in regional Australia, paid taxes and contributed to society. Yet we have a Federal Government that wants the family treated like a second class and kept in detention. I thought this government was all about rewarding those who worked hard and contribute to society?

The Government doesn't detain those on welfare payments in Australia now do they? Let this family work and contribute to Australia and leave them alone!
Posted by NathanJ, Sunday, 13 June 2021 7:42:48 PM
Labor and the greens in their infinite kindness managed to kill 1200 illegals by drowning.
Posted by shadowminister, Monday, 14 June 2021 4:53:21 AM
shonkyminister, how does that compare to the millions killed by the Liberals in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 14 June 2021 5:59:59 AM
Dear ShadowMinister,

«Labor and the greens in their infinite kindness managed to kill 1200 illegals by drowning.»

First, there is nothing illegal about taking a boat, seaworthy or otherwise, to sail on the high seas. What more, 1000's of kilometers away from Australian shores (but Australians too ought to be able to do the same).

Those people died by the forces of nature, or possibly at their own hands. Be they idiots or be they martyrs, their choices ought to be respected - we all need to die one day anyway.

Kindness would be to allow them to exercise their free will and die if that's what it meant - not to act like the last pirate on the shores of Ethiopia, hijacking people and keeping them locked up for years. Alternately, if you really wanted to be kind and those people asked for help then you could restock them with water, food and fuel, repair their leaks and allow them to continue on their journey.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 14 June 2021 10:26:16 AM
Dear Nathan,

The children are the result of the actions of their
parents. And they are being used by their parents
to be able to stay in this country. They could have
been deported and then applied to come here legally
as others have done and continue to do.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 14 June 2021 10:56:27 AM
"First, there is nothing illegal about taking a boat, seaworthy or otherwise, to sail on the high seas"

What a draft thing to say. These people were not going for a jolly old sail; they were intending to enter Australia with no documentation. That is illegal under Australian law.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 14 June 2021 1:32:53 PM
ttbn,

<<First, there is nothing illegal about taking a boat, seaworthy or otherwise, to sail on the high seas. What a draft (daft) thing to say.>>

Go an tell that to those who run the Ruby Princess cruise ship. Were they breaking the law? No. They were able to cruise where they wanted, no restrictions whatsoever, despite the impacts placed on those on board the ship.

"All 2,700 passengers were allowed to disembark in Sydney in March without sufficient screening. More than 100 of them felt unwell.

At least 900 people later tested positive. Twenty-eight died. (28??) The ship, carrying mostly Australian passengers, had completed an 11-day cruise from Sydney to New Zealand and back when it docked on the 19th of March (responsible??).

The passengers - some seen coughing and spluttering - were allowed to leave the ship at Sydney Harbour, catching trains, buses and even overseas flights to get home. (responsible??)".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53776285

Yet some still have the audacity to go after the Biloela family, (what four people??) including Foxy, forgetting the Ruby Princess and all that went along with that and of course ignoring the double standards involved.
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 14 June 2021 3:33:51 PM
Nathan,

The Tamil family came to this country with the
express purpose of settling here permanently.
They came illegally and overstayed. Therein
lies the difference. Surely you can see that?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 14 June 2021 4:12:31 PM
Good to see a number of Coalition MP's have "crossed the floor" and now there is a good chance the Biloela Tamil family will be allowed to permanently settle in Australia. Lets hope common sense prevails, and a decision could be made as early as tomorrow. Nothing is certain as the rednecks in the Coalition are still a very powerful group.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 14 June 2021 5:17:02 PM
Dear Paul,

Yes, but it is unhelpful to call people "rednecks": people's hearts and minds can change, so let us pray, for this family, not against anyone. Amen.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 14 June 2021 5:50:42 PM
Nathan

I have to say that your argument is totally illogical, as well as daft.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 14 June 2021 6:19:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised by anything the Liberal party does to curry votes and stay in power. It has been revealed that the South Australian Liberal Party has rejected membership applications, and revoked the memberships of Christian social conservatives involved with the same church as PM Scott Morrison.

Who needs Labor and the Greens to bugger up the country. The Liberals are out-lefting them in spades. After 57 years of voting, both the state and federal Liberals lost my vote at the last elections. Merely not being Labor will not get my vote back.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 14 June 2021 7:07:49 PM
Media and politicians' ignorance.

Sky News Chris Smith told Eric Abetz that the Tamil children are Australian citizens. They are NOT, and Abetz didn't correct him.

To be Australian citizens, children born here have to have at least one parent who is a citizen.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 14 June 2021 11:25:45 PM
Hi Yuyutsu,

I see the majority of Liberals in parliament, although conservative on many issues, somewhat liberal on this matter. However there is a core of conservative politicians led by Dutton that I consider racists, thus the "redneck" term. I can help but think, if there people were from another country and white that they would be treated differently.

Hi Foxy,

On this matter I take your advice, and try and put myself in these people shoes. All I can say is "There but for the grace of God, go I". How many people escaped Nazi Germany with forged papers, they to were breaking the "law", but were they not right to do so. As we know, the "law" can be whatever those in authority want it to be. You can see from this thread it does not take much to shift some from on opinion to something far more extreme, and they use the phrase "after all its the law" as justification.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 7:13:04 AM
Good Morning Paul,

My parents fled their country from the Stalinist terror
as did so many other people. As well as people fleeing
the Nazis. However, they came to this country legally.
They waited their turn to be accepted. And, many others
still do the same.

This family, at first came for economic reasons and
then changed their minds - saying they were fleeing
from persecution as Tamils. In the meantime, the father
went back to Sri Lanks 3 times during the Civil War.
He was not arrested or persecuted - and Home Affiars
had no evidence that he or his family were in any kind of
danger. He was able to travel freely - from Australia to
Sri Lanka.

Also all along Home Affairs made it quite clear to the
family that they were not considered as refugees and
that they would not be staying in this country.

Then their daughters were born. However according to the Home
Affairs website - children born in Australia automatically
acquire Australian citizenship IF at least one parent is an
Australian citizen OR a permanent resident at the time of
the child's birth. Their girls don't qualify. As neither
parent was.

Much fuss has been made about this family, and it has gone on
for far too long. The stress on them I can't even begin to imagine.
They should have been deported straight away.
The injunction should NOT have been issued to keep them
in this country. That was a gross mistake. And cruel.

The government NOW needs to wear that mistake and settle
this matter once and for all. U agree with you now.
It's gone on for too long. They should be allowed to stay.
Swifter action needs to be taken in the future. The government
mucked u p. They need to fix it.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 7:41:13 AM
Freedom of speech is essential to democracy, but some of that speech can be stupid. The stupid sort has certainly been expressed in this post by people with apparently no idea of human nature, what it means to have responsibility, and with too much political bias. We all have political bias, but we have to put it aside when it comes to common sense and what is best for our country. Even opposing politicians are capable of that.

Who is allowed into this country is important, and we do not need politicians making decisions like fond old grannies giving treats to their grandchildren.

This Tamil family has no right to be here. All the sentimentality and warm, fuzzy feelings of people with no responsibility does not change that. If there is any weakness by the government on what is about the country's, future security - not some 'poor helpless' people who arrived here illegally and who have been proven several times to not be due asylum - then bad things are in store for a country unable to control its borders and immigration.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 8:44:17 AM
Talk of the release of the Tamil illegals indicates that Morrison, the man who stopped the boats, is about to cave in to activists whose concern is not for the Tamils, but for the overturning of Australia's sovereign border protection.

The Marxists are winning against a weak elected government.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 9:21:27 AM
Hi Foxy,

What for me transcends the law, overrides all other considerations in this case is the fact the Biloela community want this family with them. I believe the vast majority of Australians want them here, half a million signed a petition in support, the family wants to be here. I know with your generous heart, given the opportunity to meet and get to know this family I think you would change your mind.

I have never met these folk, but other refugees I have, and believe me once you get to known people, and they are not just an unknown statistic or faceless number, you realise that they are only trying to do the best they can for their family they love. I don't begrudge anyone from doing that, nothing is more important than family.

I recall some years back meeting a Jordanian family in Sydney, the nicest, warmest people you could ever meet. They had two young children like these folk. All they wanted was the best for their kids, and they were so thankful Australia was giving them that opportunity.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 9:56:53 AM
Dear Paul,

As I said earlier - the government took too long
in dealing with this case. They now need to fix
things and stop delaying.

All of my life I have grown up with different cultures.
Different outlooks, different people. And I have
been enriched by them. Travelling and living overseas
also helped.

I have nothing against this family. And wish them well.
It was the government's handling of this case that
was/is at fault.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 11:17:10 AM
ttbn,

<<I have to say that your argument is totally illogical, as well as daft.>>

Well I'm not one of 28 people who've died on a ship, so I can at least comment on this issue.

Are you saying those involved in the running of the Ruby Princess were in the right? I mean 28 people died and others were put through what could easily be described as a living hell!

Instead some on this page want to go after the Biloela family, a family of four people.

Lawyers have filed a class action against Carnival Plc and Princess Cruise Lines Ltd over their mishandling of a deadly coronavirus outbreak on board the Ruby Princess.

The firm is seeking compensation through the Federal Court of Australia on behalf of passengers, their families, and the estates of those who tragically died.

The Lawyers have said the owner and operator of the Ruby Princess knew of the risks that passengers may contact coronavirus before the ship left and they failed to take steps to ensure the passengers were safe and protected.

http://www.shine.com.au/media-centre/media-releases/passengers-launch-class-action-over-ruby-princess-debacle

The Biloela family are not the criminals here and yet they have been locked up for years by a Government with double standards, a devout Christian Prime Minister (who should practice what he preaches) and deserve better from a Liberal Party who thinks it's O.K for 28 people to die on a ship. Isn't this meant to be a Liberal Party for saving lives, stopping those from making from those travelling on boats etc? Clearly not!
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 3:40:15 PM
Despite being harangued by an an arrogant SkyNews bighead today, Immigration Minister, Alex Hawke, calmly reinforced his government's stance on illegal immigrants, which has the support of the Australian people.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 4:24:49 PM
Thank you Paul, I fully support:

«What for me transcends the law, overrides all other considerations in this case is the fact the Biloela community want this family with them»

Exactly. This is a case of the central Canberra regime wanting to impose itself on the people of Biloela. Otherwise, they could simply allow the family to remain in Biloela, even without official papers and without letting them live in the rest of Australia.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 4:38:26 PM
Could someone please explain why this family is
being placed in "community detention" in Perth
and having their expenses paid for by the government
if the government is not going to let them stay
in this country permanently. Why this expensive delay?

Logically, they have already cost Australia a fortune,
so why the continuing delay in deporting them or
settling them permanently?

Is it all politics - at people's expense?

Makes no sense.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 4:52:22 PM
Hello all,

Isn't this meant to be a Liberal Party for stopping those from making money from those travelling on boats and saving lives as a result? Clearly not!
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 6:02:48 PM
I've been reading more news concerning the
Tamil family and why they are being placed
in community detention. It appears it's as a
result of their daughters medical condition.
Her condition is not good and she may have
to stay in hospital for a few more weeks.
In the meantime the government is allowing
the family to be re-united in Perth. A
humane thing to do. After the little girl
gets well - a decision will be then made
concerning their future.

All things taken into account - I have now
had a complete change of heart. Considering
what this family has been placed through they
should be allowed to stay in the country
permanently. Enough is enough. They have
paid their dues - and should be allowed to settle
in Biloela where they are wanted and loved.

I trust the government will make the right decision
concerning these people. They've been through
a great deal. I was wrong to think otherwise
and I apologise for that.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 8:15:01 PM
Why not settle all illegal arrivals in Biloela ? They'd get so much support there from the locals, they'd feel right at home. All do-gooders could provide their TFN & have regular deductions made for support payments for this family & all the others who will jump onto that bandwagon.
And we'll all live happily ever after !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 17 June 2021 7:53:17 AM
Will Biloela & those who support the tactic used by this family still be supportive of the thousands who'd follow ? This is about closing a significant loophole. Yes, I feel as sorry for those children as all do here but it is Australia's future that's at stake !
This family needs to be allowed to settle but not here. Australia couldn't deal with the consequences if they were settled here !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 17 June 2021 8:33:44 AM
Dear Individual,

«Why not settle all illegal arrivals in Biloela ? They'd get so much support there from the locals,»

Why such speculation?

Ask the people of Biloela and let THEM decide how many they want to take!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 17 June 2021 8:53:45 AM
There are 3 million Tamils in Sr Lanka.

What about them? Two illegals - revealed not to be genuine refugees -have conned a lot of people too stupid to realise that there is something fishy about two people out of 3 million wanting to leave their own country.

You bleeding hearts are as thick as bricks. These two Tamils, shamelessly trying to use innocent children to get something they are not entitled too, are disgusting. So are you for encouraging them.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 17 June 2021 10:07:58 AM
Dear Ttbn,

«Two illegals - revealed not to be genuine refugees»

I would be surprised if any of those who want to see this family back in Biloela thinks that they are refugees: the people of Biloela want this family because they consider them as part of their family, not because they are or aren't refugees.

The central Canberra regime spits on the people of Biloela, just as they spit on the rest of us.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 18 June 2021 1:43:37 AM
Ask the people of Biloela and let THEM decide how many they want to take!
Yuyutsu,
I just did ! I'm waiting for their response & yours regarding your willingness to make monthly instalment to support the thousands who would follow if that particular loophole isn't closed !
Haven't you ever heard of "give an inch & they'll take a mile" ?
I have stated many times that do-gooders should engage in the prevention of refugee-creating rather than expecting/demanding others to foot the bill !
Posted by individual, Friday, 18 June 2021 6:50:09 AM
Dear Individual,

You completely evade the topic.

It has nothing to do with refugees.
The fact that this family historically applied to arrive as refugees is now irrelevant. The people of Biloela want them regardless.

It has nothing to do with funds.
This family can fund itself, or alternately there are hundreds of thousands in Australia who are happy to support them.

It is not even about immigration to Australia as such.
If the Canberra regime wants, they could just not allow them to stay anywhere else in Australia except Biloela.

It is all about the people of Biloela who want a particular family to live with them and the central Canberra government wanting to show them "who is the boss" and refusing to let them make their own choices which affect their lives.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 18 June 2021 9:41:36 AM
Yuyutsu,
You're missing the point. Re-read your own & then my statements. You might think that is what the people of Biloela want and, maybe they do. The point here is not this family nor the kind people of Biloela, the problem are the problems that will arise if they get to stay here. The parents of these children have mis-calculated in their tactic to by-pass loopholes & the Govt. has a duty & responsibility and, most Australians expect the Govt. to not let this situation arise again.
It is good to know that there are still people with compassion however, when compassion is misplaced & can bring about irreversible future social & economic problems then it is wise to thin k past today's feeling good.
I ask again, would the people of Biloela be prepared to take in many more families & harbour them ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 19 June 2021 7:15:33 AM
ttbn said- Kick them out as soon as the child recovers. See my post below for the reasons. Australia must not compromise its immigration laws, or the 'boat people' nonsense will start again. These people have no right to be in Australia.

Answer- No- Kick them out as soon as the child is stable- send an Army nurse or doctor with them if necessary and pass them to a hospital back home.

These people seem to be supported by traitorous often communist groups in Australia seeking to subvert and destroy Australia. The government needs to act quickly on these issues. My view is that the government can't allow the courts to hold the government hostage to subversive demands. This could be a problem in a country that supports the principle of separation of powers- yet the government does have executive powers.

The emergency situation created by massive numbers of "claimed refugees" influx warrants emergency security powers to remove them. Even if the arrivals are refugees the Australian people have the natural right to control their territory from outside pressures.
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 19 June 2021 1:34:33 PM
Allow the people of a country town in Queensland to decide on whether or not illegal immigrants get to stay in Australia? It doesn't get more stupid than that. Anyhow, if a vote was taken (a secret vote), how many of the 5,700 citizens Biloela would vote yes? We don't know.

I grew up in a country town, and I can tell you that such places are run by a very few people. And its a very few people who are making all the noise over these illegals. Country towns are places where everyone knows everyone else, and they are mostly too frightened to express opinions that they think might make the loudmouths turn against them, ostracise them, or do something to affect their businesses or employment.

But, what the citizens of Biloela might or might not think, the Tamils came here illegally. They should have been returned home long ago.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 19 June 2021 3:06:12 PM
They should have been returned home long ago.
ttbn,
People are blaming the Govt. for inaction but if I remember correctly it was the High or some other Court that over-ruled the Govt. who wanted to deport them years ago.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 19 June 2021 8:29:21 PM
Dear Individual,

«I ask again, would the people of Biloela be prepared to take in many more families & harbour them?»

Why ask me, I don't live in Biloela.

Maybe 2 or 3 or 100 families, it is for them and only them to decide.

«The point here is not this family nor the kind people of Biloela»

Indeed, the problem is this Canberra regime that imposes itself and interferes in our lives, not just in Biloela, in all areas, not just in immigration. It is for example that same regime which dictates which COVID vaccine we can and cannot get, not even allowing us to leave Australia in order to obtain the vaccine of our choice.

«the problem are the problems that will arise if they get to stay here»

So what do you mean by "here"? Do you live in Biloela?

Otherwise, what stops you from preventing this family from living in your "here"? It is only by decree of the Canberra regime that people are allowed either nowhere or everywhere in this continent (and surrounding islands), nothing in between. They even decreed that everyone physically living here is entitled to a "safety net", which is indeed expensive and indeed lures in people from poor countries, but why must it be so? the Biloela community is more than happy to provide for this family as necessary.

And since we are at immigration, are you aware how many Australians are prevented from bringing in their elderly parents from overseas (not just because of COVID)? This is because the Canberra regime imposed that anyone physically present here is entitled to [free] public health and there are not enough places in hospital for elderly parents... Excuse me, what if one agrees to forego the government's "health" services, what if we agree that should our parents get sick then they will die peacefully at home in the arms of their family?

As usual, they won't allow it, and that is because they will indeed have problems - not us, THEY will have problems and rightly so, because their very existence is unfounded.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 19 June 2021 8:33:23 PM
That’s right, individual. Unelected, activist judges again. I wonder what these Tamils are costing us.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 19 June 2021 8:34:30 PM
Yuyutsu,
Which Planet are you on ? Sounds pretty good, do you accept illegal immigrants ?
I wouldn't mind living out my days in such rose-coloured surrounds !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 19 June 2021 8:56:00 PM
Dear Individual,

I am not on a planet, though my body rests on planet Earth.

I have in the past written in OLO on the topic of refugees and immigrants in general, but I am not interested in repeating myself at the moment. This discussion has already been skewed in that direction, whereas the main point should remain the denial of the freedom of association from the good people of Biloela, indeed from the rest of us too.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 19 June 2021 9:45:36 PM
Geez, I just hope I'm only imagining the post before this one !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 19 June 2021 10:15:43 PM
activist
ttbn,
that term is generally attributable to brainwashed gits relying on manipulators to do their thinking for them. They can see every detail from life in the distant past but can't for all the World see what's going on around them in the present.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 20 June 2021 8:31:52 AM
individual,

<<Yes, I feel as sorry for those children as all do here but it is Australia's future that's at stake!>>

It's just not. It's just not the case.

What is at stake is a Federal Government and its desire to control the people of Australia. Instead of leaving Australian people alone and the people of Biloela, the goernment seem intent on wanting to become overly controlling of our personal lives.

All I can say to the Federal Government is leave the people of Australia alone. The Bioela people want to assist others and they should be able to do so!
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 21 June 2021 10:30:55 PM
From today's news: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-21/victoria-one-new-local-covid-case-vaccine-supply-issues/100229932

«
Mr Merlino said Victoria did not have the ability to buy its own supply directly from Pfizer, but if it did, he would.

"Believe me, if sub-national jurisdictions could purchase Pfizer, we would do it in a heartbeat," he said.
»

This is to show that not only little Biloela is helpless, but even the whole state of Victoria is prevented by the Canberra gang from doing what is good for its people!

This is the very issue we are dealing with!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 22 June 2021 12:24:04 AM
Federal Government and its desire to control the people of Australia
NathanJ,
People need to be controlled because we've seen throughout history that they can't manage themselves.
Also, you're missing the point of that family by miles ! If you're really so keen on living in third World standard why not try a stint in one of those countries for a few years ?
Why ? Because that's the standard you invite by keeping the loopholes wide open & even advertise them !
Close the loophole this family or rather the parents of the two children exploited before they became a family & only then give them residency.
It was a super sly move which must not be allowed to be used again by others. THAT is the point !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 22 June 2021 7:07:32 AM
This is the very issue we are dealing with!
Yuyutsu,
What a lot of Bull ! The issue in Victoria is its ill-disciplined Demographic ! Full stop !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 22 June 2021 7:10:05 AM
Hi Yuyutsu,

Very true,

The Morrison government has played politics with the vaccination program. The Feds thought they had stolen a march, and a winning early election, by signing up to local production of the Astrazeneca vaccine, and there was no need for alternate supplies, all eggs into the one basket approach. The only international deal Morrison made was for small scale deliveries of the Pfizer vaccine, which at first were held up, but now are arriving at a few thousand a week. Morrison also believed vaccine delivery through GP's would be his crowning glory, with his government winning all the kudos, and the states playing a minor roll at best. With the proverbial hitting the fan with Astrazeneca, and GP's pulling out because of the shambolic rollout, Morrison's government has been shown to be the complete dills they are. Despite Morrison doing nothing over the past year on purpose built quarantine, good luck and good state response has kept the pandemic mostly at bay, but for how long no one knows. Morrison has vertually nil full vaccinations and has Australia sitting at 123rd in the World on full vaccination list. BUT, we do have Bonking Barny as our new Dep PM.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 22 June 2021 7:31:23 AM
Dear Individual,

«The issue in Victoria is its ill-disciplined Demographic ! Full stop !»

The issue with Australians is their ill-disciplined failing to accept their status of convicts, having been sent to that penal colony. Their grumbling only means that they have some energy left, thus their food rations must be cut further.

---

Dear Paul,

Why limit the tyranny of just one particular central government? They all do it, that is their very nature!

Speaking about "all eggs into the one basket approach", what for example about creating that NBN monster to deny our freedom to keep our analogue copper phone lines (digital data being easier to monitor and control)?

Yes, the states had a good response and kept the pandemic mostly at bay, while the central regime only buzzed around and disturbed.
There is no point doing away with just this or that specific minister or government - the whole Canberra central regime has to go!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 22 June 2021 9:58:11 AM
individual,

<<If you're really so keen on living in third World standards why not try a stint in one of those countries for a few years?>>

There are plenty of people of people out there, charities and others out there to assist others.

I know being one of who assists others. We are helping people all the time. Our aim is to assist others in need and we are always aiming to make a difference for those in need of help.

The people who need assistance are people like yourself. You feel that not assisting others is the way forward when it is not!
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 22 June 2021 12:21:49 PM
Calum Malum,

<<Australia must not compromise its immigration laws, or the 'boat people' nonsense will start again.>>

The reality is Australia already has people coming to Australia via plane, in fact nearly 100,000 in the last five years.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/nearly-100-000-asylum-seekers-have-arrived-by-plane-to-australia-in-the-past-five-years.

Yes the deniers will want to say it's not an issue, but the reality it is real, regardless of the deniers position on the issue.
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 22 June 2021 4:33:09 PM
Now the illegals have a three month temporary visa to await MORE legal fiddling. How many more times do obvious facts have to be proved! My guess is that the government is gearing up to back down to the skungy Marxist activists posing as the 'concerned and 'compassionate'.

What the Marxist scum are into is not compassion, but open borders and more immigration altogether. Immigration has historically moved Western societies to the left, and guess who massively increased our immigration? The the so-called conservative, John Howard, that's who. People who say that left and right no longer exists have a point: it's all about power for politicians, and mass immigration is their way to power - via more people looking for free stuff they can't get in their own countries. 80% of the locals have joined in.

Australia is rooted, and most Australians don't care. When they have President Xi's "socialism with Chinese characteristics" they will care, but it will be too late then.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 24 June 2021 9:33:23 AM
Terry Barnes says this morning that "the refugee activists and Morrison-haters … know full well the heavy blow they have struck against border protection and the Morrison government" - the government that is caving in abjectly to the activists, and wrecking their own border protection and immigration laws. Who needs people who admit to being Leftist when we have the modern Liberal party.

No matter who gets elected at the next federal election, we are going to have a piss-weak government.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 24 June 2021 9:58:26 AM
I'm more optimistic about the current Government.
They fully realize what is at stake here - hence
the delays in their decision making. They want to make
sure that all the legalities are covered and the laws
are obeyed. It's been a long ride - but the family knew
what they were getting into and apparently were prepared
to risk everything for the right outcome for them. Whether
they get it - only time will tell.

Mr Morrison has a lot on his plate at the moment - what
with a new Nationals leader and Deputy PM to deal with as
well.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 June 2021 10:10:34 AM
Nathan,

You've got a big generous heart and we know that
you mean well. However, this is a Government decision
and it needs to be made in obedience to our laws.
Of course exceptions can be made in certain circumstances,
but it is up to the Government to decide. And I'm sure
they fully realize what they can or can't do - and what
the implications are for their decision. There's pros and
cons for both sides. Finding the best solution is not easy.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 June 2021 10:15:14 AM
ttbn,

Why the need for all the vitriol? I mean there is enough hate already out there.

The reality this situation is about nothing more than controlling the public and you ttbn should no better!
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 24 June 2021 4:38:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy