The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Subliminal Advertizing

Subliminal Advertizing

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Have you ever seen subliminal advertizing?

"The question I would like to ask is whether using methods such as these to send messages to consumer that they are not consciously aware of, is this ethically and morally appropriate? Is it ok to take advantage of the vulnerabilities in our subconscious minds? Some argue that it is unethical as we cannot choose to avoid the message we are being presented as we are not even aware that it is being delivered while others argue that as long as the unconscious message has the same intent as the conscious message there is nothing unethical about subliminal advertising (Klosterman 2014). There are also many others who are of the pinion that hidden subliminal messages used in advertising do not work in the first place."
http://alyssanash.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/the-use-of-embeds-in-adverstising/

I can see them usually and the commonest is the word "sex", usually embeded in the focal point of an add or near to it.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 3 November 2020 9:19:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Advertising is immoral, regardless whether it is overt or covert.

Polluting minds with superfluous desires to buy things, is no different to polluting the air we breath and the water we drink.

If we have inborn desires to obtain certain goods or services, then well and good, we could then look it up and see how to get them, but inducing innocent others to desire more things, is plainly a crime. If that is done overtly then it should be considered as an assault and if that is done covertly, then I think that even by the existing criminal code this could be counted as theft.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 3 November 2020 11:10:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's all crap these days.

You'll see an ad for a product or a service of some sort,
But the ad itself will not even mention the product or service.
It will just be all some politically correct agenda instead.

I do not care for any of this, and am generally insulted by it.
Do not preach your social or political positions.

If I am forced to watch, then sell me on the merits of the product or service only.
A good quality product at a value for money price that will does what it says it does, guaranteed.
Above that if you make me laugh, then that's a bonus for which I may be more likely to remember you more.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 3 November 2020 11:22:33 PM
The most important thing to know about subliminal advertising is: it doesn't work very well. Indeed it's a bit unclear whether it works at all!

Yuyutsu,
If a business makes a product that can improve our lives, why shouldn't it be able to alert us to that?
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 4 November 2020 2:27:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I just offered up 'advertizing' to the all-USA system, and was asked "did you mean advertising?". I have never seen the word spelt with a zed, by anyone, anywhere.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 4 November 2020 6:14:52 AM
Dear Aidan,

«If a business makes a product that can improve our lives, why shouldn't it be able to alert us to that?»

Being assaulted does not improve our lives.
Sowing unsolicited desires in the minds of others is an assault.
Desires do not make us happy.
How to deal with our existing desires, of which we already have plenty, is a whole huge topic and science by itself, but certainly the last thing we need is further new cravings invading our mind through our senses.

Now anyone who has a need for something should be able to look up (both online and offline) solutions to satisfy their need. Businesses that provide goods and services which others may need, should place the information about what they offer and how to find them in appropriate mediums where those with the corresponding need can seek them, but without exposing this to others who never asked for that information. The need can be specific or general in nature, but not as vague as "I want to be happy", because others cannot do it for us.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 4 November 2020 8:15:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy