The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Closing The Gap 2.0

Closing The Gap 2.0

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 19
  14. 20
  15. 21
  16. All
Come on people, can't you see that this is simply a new scheme to come out of academia & the bureaucracy to make sure the indigenous gravy train is kept full of cash for them to luxuriate in.

Just think how many academics would have no job, & how many 10s of thousands public servants[?] would have no reason for their over paid "jobs" if we stopped wasting billions on the aboriginal welfare rort. Hell thousands of middle men, contractors, tradesmen & transport operators would be out of work if we stopped building infrastructure, homes & sporting facilities in remote out stations for our bush aboriginals to destroy.

Not that long ago we the taxpayer spent 27 million on an aboriginal settlement of 29 houses, & all the other stuff found only in towns of several thousand residents, in an area not remote, in fact not that distant from here. It is mostly destroyed, & some want to rebuild it.

I'll bet SR is pushing for more of such stupidity. I wonder what his angle is? No one with even half a brain could think it was a good idea.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 1 August 2020 11:53:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I seem to recall that "All we want is an apology" was the catch-cry for closing that 'Gap'.
So, the Dudd apologised !
Istead oif closing this Gap it is now wider than ever. Non-indigenous Australians have fallen Ar$e over backwards just to be called racists by racists ?

Reminds of some years ago when an islander said to me "you people are only here for the money, you don't spend it here in our community". I reminded him that I was one of those taxpayers & workers who build everything he & his family live in, on & with.
He couldn't give me an answer when I asked him what he wanted me to spend my wages on in his community after all, I could not buy land there to live plus once I retired I am no longer needed & even less wanted there. So, what to spend my money on & for what ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 1 August 2020 12:14:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Australia's Yolngu Aboriginal nations and Torres Strait
Islander people claim they were trading with Chinese
and Indonesians (Makassans) 100s of years before the
discovery of the continent by Europeans."

Wow, makes it sound like they were sailing up to Shanghai loaded with goodies.

But in fact they were just sitting around waiting for the Chinese to turn up occasionally. The Chinese, who'd been fishing the South China Sea for centuries, were trading with them.

And what was being traded? I don't think there was much call for stone axes in Peking. Perhaps those sticks that came back might have been fun for the kiddies back home.

The Chinese had plenty to trade - beads, metal tools, pottery...stuff that would have seemed like magic to the locals.

But what was the main commodity the aboriginals traded in return? Women. Yep the Chinese came to buy concubines for the various Chinese nobles. It seems they were rather prized back home. Selling women in a society where women were treated as equals? Doesn't make sense. But aboriginal women were mere chattels. Slaves to be sold at will.

Still we do have to acknowledge that immigrants have made a great contribution to the nation. In particular those people who came out here on assisted passage back in 1788 are owed a lot. Apart from massively increasing the social diversity of the nation, significantly increasing the multicultural nature of society, they also massively increased the economic well-being of the nation. We owe so much to that immigrate wave.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 1 August 2020 1:17:31 PM
England gave us our institutions, but according to
Gerard Henderson, Ireland gave us our egalitarianism.
John Howard would tell anyone who'd listen that the
British heritage is immense (he was hoping for a
knighthood which embarrassingly for him - didn't happen,
Tony Abbott gave it a shot as well). However according to
Henderson this theory didn't go far enough.

The fact is that the implementation of democratic government
in Australia was also tempered by non-British influences.
Most notably that part of the Australian experience that
was affected by both the Irish tradition and the
Labour movement, as well as - other ethnic influences.

Australia is part of the New World, the world of immigrants,
not part of the Old World or the places they embark from.

This is why we are suspicious of inherited titles and
privileges. Nobody can afford to get too precious about
their position or entitlements in this country because we
all know that position and entitlements are comparatively
new.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 1 August 2020 3:47:31 PM
'Australia is part of the New World, the world of immigrants,
not part of the Old World or the places they embark from.'

hopefully not immigrants like this Afghan in Germany who raped and 11 year old girl, was let out of prison after 12 days (experts said he was no risk) and then raped a 13 year old.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8580315/Outrage-Germany-Afghan-migrant-rapes-two-girls.html
Posted by runner, Saturday, 1 August 2020 4:00:27 PM
runner,

Or hopefully not like the "Jack-the Ripper" types,
or the white blokes who raped and killed the women in
Melbourne - right? I think that we all agree - keep
the crims out. Oh wait - didn't this nation begin as
a penal colony?
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 1 August 2020 4:06:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...