The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What if its all for nothing

What if its all for nothing

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 37
  7. 38
  8. 39
  9. Page 40
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. 43
  13. ...
  14. 49
  15. 50
  16. 51
  17. All
Well there you go 'extorting' people, Steelie, but not by force of argument, that's for sure.
Posted by Luciferase, Tuesday, 21 April 2020 6:58:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Steele,

Did you happen to watch Q&A last night?

Interesting information about the coronavirus
and a warning of what could happen.

Look at what's happening in the US:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-outbreak-response-trump-us

We're so lucky our government is listening to the
medical experts. We haven't yet experienced bodies being wheeled
away or makeshift hospitals everywhere.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 21 April 2020 7:06:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

I will admit to finding Q&A a bit of a struggle at the moment but I'm sure it will grow on me. I tend to prefer my dose of Covid19 information to be meaty right now so it comes via the web mostly. The TV tends to be reserved for entertainment. Blood River on SBS and The Capture on ABC have been outstanding downtime.

Dear Lucifrase,

Yes the 'h' did go missing didn't it but I think I will leave it uncorrected as it kinda fits don't you think.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 21 April 2020 7:22:24 PM
2009, the Swine flu turned up, and 20,000 Australian deaths were predicted.

"By the end of 2009, around 38,000 Australians had been infected and there were 191 dead: a crude death rate of 0.9 per 100,000. The disease had a hospitalisation rate of 13 per cent, with 13 per cent of those admitted needing to be placed in intensive care. Despite the rate of infections and deaths, the Rudd Government DID NOT impose any restrictions on movement or force businesses to close". No lockdowns. Normal movement and activities of citizens. Health Minister Nicola Roxon ignored the 'experts', dire predictions, and models.

A Labor government: one of the worst. But comparing its reaction to the bureaucratic hysteria of the current government, with its draconian restrictions and economy wrecking reaction to the Chinese virus, well …. 600,000 people were not there thrown out of work, wondering if their employers would ever start up again .
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 21 April 2020 11:06:51 PM
SR,

"So a 70 year old who has at least a couple of decades of enjoying and mentoring to grandkids left to him is fair game for your willful spread of the plague because he happens to suffer from a dose of high blood pressure?"

That's not even close to what I've been arguing. Indeed its diametrically opposite to my view.

Look SR, I get that you're hurting because you've made a fool of yourself here over misunderstanding data, graphs and statistics, and misinterpreting arguments. And I know that standard SR MO in that event is to muddy the water as much and as soon as possible. But just making up my opinion out of thin air and doing so in ways that as opposite to what I've said, is a new low, even for you.

LM2,

Yes I do think that those under 50 should be set free now. And that those over 70 should be sequestered for an extended period. That means no contact with others unless those others are shown to be CV19 negative or have positive antibodies tests.

I know that's not easy. Currently I have responsibility for three people over 85 (my and my wife's parents) and am vigilant about keeping them isolated and especially distant from grandkids and great-grandkids. Its not easy but its do-able. Indeed one of the three was tested yesterday due to a raised temperature and confirmed as CV19 negative.
Posted by mhaze, Wednesday, 22 April 2020 12:00:29 PM
Luciferase,

The link in SR's last post, which he presumably misunderstood, shows again that there are no excess deaths among the young. Just a bit more evidence.

You might also be interested in this...
http://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/health/coronavirus-antibodies-california.html

which shows both that the numbers with antibodies is higher than previously expected but also discusses the problems getting verified data.

LM2,

"Of course, sh!thole countries like the US are many, many weeks away from doing any of that..."

Its important to understand that the USA is a very diverse setup. Indeed, were you to consider New City City separately to the other 49 1/2 states, things look very different. IF NYC were treated as a country its statistics are the worst in the world while the other 49 1/2 states would be among the best in the world.

Many reasons can be listed for that. Personally I'd put it down to having an incompetent governor and a mayor who simply doesn't get it.

Nonetheless, there is no reason why the rest of the USA shouldn't get back to a semblance of normal life asap while NYC gets its act together
Posted by mhaze, Wednesday, 22 April 2020 12:12:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 37
  7. 38
  8. 39
  9. Page 40
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. 43