The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What if its all for nothing

What if its all for nothing

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 33
  7. 34
  8. 35
  9. Page 36
  10. 37
  11. 38
  12. 39
  13. ...
  14. 49
  15. 50
  16. 51
  17. All
Paul1405, you do get hysterical when it comes to arguing against logic. Me putting my hand up to be one of the 3 in 1000 will not change another's survival odds one jot.

I do volunteer, however, to be responsible for myself and to care for the health of others through distancing and cleanliness. I am vulnerable to the worst of the virus but it is not nearly a guaranteed death sentence should I be infected.

I see it more like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUPHiTu6PgQ
Posted by Luciferase, Sunday, 19 April 2020 6:18:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just talked to one of my sons who's doing 2-weeks iso at home. I explained that what he's going through (for the second time as he was detained in quarantine in a hotel where he first landed when enroute to home from o/s) is to improve the average person's chance of survival from 99.7% to a theoretical 100%. Then there's smashing the economy to bits that he'd planned to build his material life through.

There is nowhere on the planet that the elimination path has been demonstrated to work for such an infectious virus in which half the infected are asymptomatic, whereas herd immunity is a fact.
Posted by Luciferase, Sunday, 19 April 2020 6:50:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear runner,

You do realise Trump Derangement Syndrome was actually first used to refer to traditional Republicans who would bend a knee to Trump.

The actual first outing of the phrase was used during the Bush administration, was then adopted as Obama Derangement Syndrome to refer to the 'Birther's' like Trump.

You certainly are afflicted with a Gillard Derangement Syndrome.

Dear Lucifrase,

It would be an interesting exercise if we took the logic forward. So let's say Generation X is really saying you are sacrificing our long term economic futures to save 3 in a thousand baby boomers now. Following your logic why can't we say fine, let them die, but when you eventually turn 60 we will cull 3 random people, mainly with co-morbidities, from your cohort each year. After all don't you owe it to future generations too?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 19 April 2020 7:02:33 PM
Have to waste a post before a smarty points to elimination by vaccination (e.g. smallpox, measles). I mean by testing, tracking and quarantining, of course, the Australian way. Some supression will occur this way, slowing attainment of herd immunity, but not elimination.
Posted by Luciferase, Sunday, 19 April 2020 7:38:20 PM
'You certainly are afflicted with a Gillard Derangement Syndrome.'

actually Steelie I am over that. Turnbull has made Gillard look very good
Posted by runner, Sunday, 19 April 2020 7:55:18 PM
Steelie, at my sons' ages their quarantining efforts are making even less than a 0.3% difference to them personally, as they are below an average risk which includes old Boomers with co-morbidities.

Without doing the calc, the difference between their current chance of being part of 3 deaths per 1000 and 100% survival would be well less than 0.1%.

Their generation isn't getting much out of the sacrifices, that's for sure. That's why the Swedish approach, where the Boomers quarantine themselves until herd immunity is nearly reached, while the economy carries on, makes the most sense. Australia is headed for a U-turn after a couple of cycles of lockdown and economic coma.
Posted by Luciferase, Sunday, 19 April 2020 8:54:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 33
  7. 34
  8. 35
  9. Page 36
  10. 37
  11. 38
  12. 39