The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What if its all for nothing

What if its all for nothing

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22
  13. ...
  14. 49
  15. 50
  16. 51
  17. All
According to the Reserve Bank, people are now panic withdrawing large amounts of cash. Wonderful times ahead! Let's hope that cash doesn't go the way of toilet paper.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 11 April 2020 10:25:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ttbn,

I support your suggestion that public servants' guaranteed incomes be either held steady or in some cases (where utter uselessness can be easily demonstrated), cut.

On the other hand, given that there are around 750,000 international students currently in Australia, many almost finished their studies, rather than expect them to go home, why not offer them citizenship ? Apart from the obvious fact that they deserve to finish their studies if they have come this far, it would be a massive boost not only to our eventual population but to our relations with neighbouring countries.

And best of all, it would bring howls of impotent rage from some of the thumb-up-arse closet racists on OLO :). Oh hello, Misopinionated, I didn't see you there, I thought your periodic three days' out was already over and that you were back under heavy medication.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Saturday, 11 April 2020 1:32:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear mhaze,

Your original post starting this thread claimed in part;

"Even in Europe, where things are much worse than anything we’ve seen here so far, they are getting strange signs that things aren’t all doom and gloom. Check this site which shows a strange lack of increase in overall deaths in Europe…http://www.euromomo.eu/index.html"

I said in reply to it that "statement that had been heavily qualified in the original article"

In support I pasted a quote from the page; "Therefore, although increased mortality may not be immediately observable in the EuroMOMO figures, this does not mean that increased mortality does not occur in some areas or in some age groups, including mortality related to COVID-19."

You attacked with the following; "But standard SR here. Pick up a minor peripheral issue, exaggerate it beyond all recognition, misinterpret some point or other, make inane claims about said misinterpretation and then make moronic pronouncements."

Could you now please return to the site which now shows those delayed figures. They reveal a huge up surge in deaths after what was the tailing off of a mild flu season in Europe. http://www.euromomo.eu/index.html

My question is, do you stand by the assertions you made in your original post? Particularly "But now we know that the threat of this virus to all, other than the very aged with pre-existing conditions, is minor."

Finally what do you think the figures would have looked like if the disease had been at its worse during the peak of the flu season and if the mitigation efforts around the world had not been implemented?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 11 April 2020 7:04:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can you really expect figures to be accurate after health systems become overwhelmed?
What if the dead aren't collected or counted yet?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 11 April 2020 7:51:56 PM
apparently not one person has died of any other flu than Covid 19 in New York in the last month or so! This is starting to smell more and more.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 11 April 2020 8:49:14 PM
Hey SteeleRedux,

Coronavirus in New York came mainly from Europe, studies show.
http://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html

Quote >>New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that it was brought to the region mainly by travelers from Europe, not Asia."<<

'Every Single Individual Must Stay Home': Italy's Coronavirus Surge Strains Hospitals
http://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/817974987/every-single-individual-must-stay-home-italy-s-coronavirus-deaths-pass-china-s

Quote >>Remuzzi says he is now hearing information about it from general practitioners. "They remember having seen very strange pneumonia, very severe, particularly in old people in December and even November," he says. "This means that the virus was circulating, at least in [the northern region of] Lombardy and before we were aware of this outbreak occurring in China."

He says it was impossible to combat something you didn't know existed.<<

So whats the take away?
1/ Majority of cases in New York came from Europe not China.
2/ The virus was in Lombardy and Milan (as I tried to explain earlier) before it was in China.

I know you don't don't subscribe to anything I put forward about the origins of the virus, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 11 April 2020 8:49:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22