The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Religious Discrimination Act.

Religious Discrimination Act.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Neither side is happy with the Morrison's governments draft Religious Discrimination Act. The prime minister has announced the government will return to the drawing board in an attempt to "get it right". Religious groups have slammed the proposed laws as not doing enough to protect religious freedoms. Whilst human rights and LGBTI groups, employer bodies and state anti-discrimination commissions are also all opposed to the bill, believing it gives too much freedom for the religious to discriminate Former high court justice, Michael Kirby, has warned that the “unbalanced” law will see a rise in both religious intolerance and anti-religious hostility.

The chief executive of Anglicare, Paul McDonald, I think sums it up well; “But we cannot support a law that creates one model of protection for people of faith and a lesser model of protection for all other Australians.” Can the government create a law that is balanced for both sides. A law that gives the religious the right to preach their beliefs as they affect others, and at the same time protect minorities and the non-religious from discrimination by the religious.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 2 December 2019 4:52:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let religions be, just keep them out of schools & policy making & take them off the streets !
Posted by individual, Monday, 2 December 2019 7:55:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It might be just coincidence, of course, but since Christianity was 'taken out' of things, particularly state schools, things have rapidly gone backwards in Western countries.

But, religious discrimination protection should be dropped, and the government should be restoring or shoring up freedom of speech for ALL.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 2 December 2019 8:32:12 AM
I agree indy!
Time will tell but in the end it is my view this bill will bring more harm than good
Too I believe it will ignore me, a not believer, do I have rights
Three how many know the bill is for every faith do we all want some pests knocking on our door because they have the right to?
Rarely knock here told them a dozen times but they got the message
What rights will be used against us by this bill?
Posted by Belly, Monday, 2 December 2019 12:28:30 PM
The whole concept of "anti-discrimination" is fundamentally wrong.
I definitely do not support adding another dimension to it.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 2 December 2019 2:27:56 PM
I just hope our present federal Govt has more sense than to get embroiled in such senseless debates !
There are literally thousands of people out there not knowing how to go on with life with so much crap thrown at them by our army of parasitic bureaucrats & here the Govt is lining up for wasting another several million Dollars on something that may or may not be based on something that may or may not be real ?
Get real !
Posted by individual, Monday, 2 December 2019 8:32:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy