The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Win for Women

A Win for Women

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
In the Federal Court yesterday, Justice Richard White found in favour of Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young, awarding her $120,000 over defamatory comments made by former Senator David Leyonhjelm. Justice White said; "I have also accepted that the respondent (Leyonhjelm) was actuated by malice in that he published his claim concerning the applicant to a mass audience with the intention of publicly shaming her."

Sarah Hanson-Young statement; When men do the wrong thing, they should apologise. Most men do. But when they don’t they should be called out. It’s for every woman & girl who’s been told or made to stay silent in the face of harassment and disrespect that I took legal action. Today’s ruling is a win for them.

As a male, I fully support the rights of women to be treated equally and fairly, and like all in society treated with respect. Hopefully Leyonhjelm and others who think it is okay to degenerate a person publicly just because that person is a woman will learn something from this court ruling.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 9:01:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What did he expect ? See where an inflated belief in one's own intelligence can get you ? Stupid man.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 9:38:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agree the man is an idiot, good out come
Foxy not around? hope she is ok
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 10:54:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm neutral on this one. I can't decide which is the bigger idiot.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 10:57:44 AM
not very smart thing to say. Greens have said as bad if not worse as anyone however are slimy/smart enough to say it under parliamentry privilege.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 11:54:21 AM
I just hope she donates this money to a worthwhile charity, (like domestic violence) but no doubt Sarah halfwit young will keep it for herself
Posted by kirby483, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 2:01:55 PM
Hi Kirby,

I think she's already designated where it is to be donated to. Don't jump the gun :)

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 2:03:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
COME COME KIRBY!she has already donated it let's look at the fool who said what he said
Then ask [you folk know I dislike the woman] why not? he acted like a grub
She earned it
A future will come, when online comment will see us held to account, once again dislike of her not truth is getting aired here
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 2:28:17 PM
saw a woman standing with and looking like a Green the other day accusing male fire fighters as women bashers. She said that when they returned from fighting fires they were a lot more likely to beat their women. Seems like some get away with the most despicable things and some don't. The Greens never apologised for inviting such commentary.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 2:45:42 PM
happy to apologize, if she has given the money away
Posted by kirby483, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 3:27:40 PM
runner,

Why don't you put up the evidence; "Greens have said as bad if not worse... say it under parliamentary privilege." I do believe according to your creed you burn in hell for lying.

I'm glad to see David Leyonhjelm get his comeuppance, its been a long time coming for this political fraudster, a charlatan who has never been liberal or democratic, using the terms to sponge his way in. Leyonhjelm was never popular, other than with no more than the very few, those from the radical right, mostly haters and gun lovers, he managed to worm his way into parliament on the unsuspecting coattails of others, along with the luck of the donkey vote, ahandful of donkeys voted for him . Knowing his goose was cooked as a senator, Leyonhjelm sculled off to contest the 2019 NSW state election, where he was unceremoniously pissed on by the voters. Leyonhjelm political achievements include a failed attempt to have the Adler lever action shotgun legally imported into Australia, and claiming the medical benefits of smoking, after receiving a donation of $55k from "Big Tobacco".

Good riddance to bad rubbish, never to be heard from again. Exit stage right!
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 4:19:04 PM
I'm with ttbn on this one !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 4:21:06 PM
' I do believe according to your creed you burn in hell for lying.'

Actually the creed most Greens believe is that lying is ok but burning coal is a sin. At least get your doctrine right.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 4:47:04 PM
"As a male, I fully support the rights of women to be treated equally and fairly, and like all in society treated with respect."

I also support women being treated equally and fairly;
But you should take careful note of the word 'fairly'
'Fairly' doesn't necessarily mean 'respect' will automatically be freely given, and given unconditionally.

'Fairly' means what you do for one you do for the other.
With that in mind, 'respect' it should be noted is a two way street, and you have to give it to get it.

- If you don't give it you should not expect to get it in return -

Whilst it is good to treat others the way you'd like to be treated, Nobody actually 'owes' anyone else respect, because respect itself is earned.

Have you heard the phrase 'to earn one's respect'
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 5:36:15 PM
Firstly, I wonder why there is inadequate recording of what our representatives say in parliament.
I think firstly we the public have a right to know exactly what Hanson-Young said in Parliament to provoke Leyonhjelm into making his comments in response.
Why is there no audio?

In the fashion with which Hanson-Young made her 'men need to stop raping women' comment in parliament;
I think it's reasonable that many man might have taken her comments as an attack on all men in general (by not specifying otherwise), and that Hanson-Young in her heated snidely comment was acting like Leyonhjelm himself was a rapist.

I'm not bothered that he defended himself, in fact I support him doing so but did he take it too far?

He said she should "stop shagging men".
This response is reasonable if he misheard her and believed she either said or implied 'all men are rapists'.
It doesn't necessarily imply she's promiscuous any more than it assumes she has an active sex life from having a current partner.

She has said many other defamatory comments against men in general publicly.
I think the misandrist and
Also she's no little princess to act like he REALLY offended her.

http://youtu.be/3KKLN4J6gXc
http://youtu.be/7HfBwVee6Ao

I certainly don't think she deserved $120,000

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-25/sarah-hanson-young-wins-defamation-case-against-leyonhjelm/11734322
"Instead, it is likely that the respondent 'heard' that which he was predisposed to hear by reason of his pre-existing opinion of the applicant as someone who made 'collectivist' statements," Justice White said.

I ask was his pre-existing opinion of Hanson-Young as someone who made 'collectivist' statements' not without merit?

Look here:

Sarah Hanson-Young: Men are "morons and pigs"
http://youtu.be/UicmJWUgPdE
Senator Sarah Hanson-Young believes all men are collectively responsible for violence against women.

I think the judge was wrong and that it isn't just Leyonhjelms opinion but an established fact.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 5:40:06 PM
* I think the 'misandrist' and 'hypocrite' comments by Leyonhjelm were justified.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 5:43:25 PM
Paul,

"...include a failed attempt to have the Adler lever action shotgun legally imported into Australia,"

See Horsley Park Gun Shop
http://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/category/151-adler

Plenty of new Adler guns there.

Way back in the OLO archives is a post from me saying that the ex-Senator is a dangerous man.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 26 November 2019 5:53:46 PM
Hi Issy,

That's right, the gun freaks through the Australian chapter of the NRA, the SSAA, along with the help of a few demented politicians, The Mad Katter for one, this Leyonhjelm grub was another, continue to white ant John Howard's robust gun laws at every opportunity.

Well what can I say, the next Martin Bryant or Ivan Milat will know what gunnie hangout in Horsley Park to go to for the guns they require.

Just on an old thing we discussed, remember that 'Jelly firing Gun Shop' here in Brisbane. After community protests the shop now has blinds around the glass pulled down all day. To be fair, I know many gun owners are responsible people, but this shop seems to have attracted a collection of "Weirdo Rambo's". These strange guys, mostly dress in battle fatigues, hang around the shop, outside leaning up against beat up old cars and 4WD. Very strange fellas me thinks. Your opinion?
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 4:56:03 AM
I don't think David Leyonhjelm would have anything adverse to say about Gladys Liu. After all she too is a member of Team ScuMo. Which for me begs the question: I wonder if David Leyonhjelm is affiliated with the Chinese Communist Party in any way whatsoever?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 5:39:33 AM
Mr Opinion,
Judging between your posts & those of Leyonhjelm's it's pretty difficult to pick a winner in ill logic.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 6:24:09 AM
Dear individual,

I'm just thinking to myself in text. Just asking a question based on a hunch. I take it you're a big supporter of Gladys Liu?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 7:01:34 AM
Paul,

If by 'battle fatigues' you mean camouflage dress then I'm with you. camo is banned on most ranges and only dills wear it whilst hunting, firstly because animals look for movement and sniff for scent, and secondly camouflage might be successful in hiding one from other hunters, with possibly disastrous results, same goes for wearing ghillie suits only more so!!
http://www.theghilliesuits.com/ul-ghillieponcho.html
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 9:56:11 AM
Is this a win for all men? A woman making up false harassment claims and writing letters to herself. Another Christine Blassey Ford but here in Australia? An 'academic'? Surely not.

You would think those using race and gender politics have enough egg on their face to drop the nonsense and treat people on a level playing field. No you don't believe all women just like you don't believe all men.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/uts-academic-charged-for-orchestrating-fake-harassment-campaign-against-herself-20191127-p53efv.html
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 10:35:42 AM
The poor dear.

She has obviously been misled by the success of the global warming scam, & academics getting away with a litany of lies & miss truths, for years, & thought academics could get away with anything.

It certainly shows it is not just the arts departments of our universities that are full of people of very doubtful character, staff & students, but that science departments also need careful investigation to eliminate the ratbags.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 1:20:41 PM
a big supporter of Gladys Liu?
Mr Opinion,
Haven't a clue who that is, I only have your posts to judge you et al by!
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 3:37:41 PM
Hey runner,
Re you story link:
- What I want to know is who do you have to know to get the Sydney Morning Herald, The Daily Telegraph, 9 News etc. to blur the photo of your face when your leaving court?

Who do you have to know, who do you have to pay, and how much does that service cost?
Or is this service only available to certain people
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 3:49:38 PM
not sure Armchair but I doubt whether the same grace would be given to a white middle aged male.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 5:43:28 PM

Here is an interesting development :

http://7ampodcast.com.au/episodes/changing-consent-law

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Wednesday, 27 November 2019 6:55:19 PM
Looked at the link Banjo, bit different than this case
Then again so are most of the comments
Leave [not you Banjo] personal dislike of the woman out of it
Then tell us what your view would be if that idiot said those things to your wife or daughter
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 28 November 2019 11:28:59 AM
There is a massive difference in the ability of (straight) men and women to find sex partners. Those women who exploit this forfeit their right to complain about double standards. Equality isn't a moral trump card to be dragged out when convenient and ignored the rest of the time.

The main way women exploit this inequality is by judging potential sex partners by every criteria under the sun. I understand that people who are used to judging others usually struggle with being judged. However, men have a right to decide which women are worthy of love.

The few men who measure-up tend to be dudebros who have no interest in a long term relationship. When the brief period of sexual use dressed up as a relationship ends, the women absolutely hate their "ex". The idea that women don't criticise men who sleep around is ridiculous.

However, these women tend to rationalise it as though it was a real relationship, which allows them to pursue other men with no real interest in them. They resist facing facts, because privileged people see equality as the biggest injustice in the world.

I have no doubt SHY has complained about men who loved her and left her. However, like many women, her "feminism" is carefully designed not to cost her very much.
Posted by benk, Thursday, 28 November 2019 9:18:58 PM
SHY do not like the lady
BUT some posters seem not to like women, and actively tell us that
Look again at the total failure of a man who said these things to her
See the court agreed he never should have
Then tell me why so many have focuses on other than the insult and its justified outcomes
Posted by Belly, Friday, 29 November 2019 4:59:00 AM
A win for women ? I don't think real women will take that as a compliment at all !
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 November 2019 4:57:56 PM
You old mate think very differently than most
A woman, badly abused by a man not known for his rationality
Gets one hundred thousand dollars, donates it to charity, as the thread say a step forwards for? women
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 30 November 2019 4:46:27 AM
Gets one hundred thousand dollars, donates it to charity,
Belly,
Paleeeze ! You think she gave the money out of goodness of her heart ? There goes another herd of pink elephants !
It would have been political suicide for her to not do so. Ever heard of the word hypocrisy ?
It goes with people who lack integrity ! In an age where money rules nobody gives away such sums. I bet she'll be writing it off tax as a donation so, it's us who are ultimately giving that money.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 30 November 2019 7:16:22 AM
Ok, do we know if that money has done any good yet ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 6:35:46 AM
You certainly are cynical Indy, not like a couple of Nationals, Bonking Barney and Fat George off in pursuit of women whilst being paid by the taxpayer. Oh no, nothing returned or donated from that pair of clowns! I would be disappointed in any Greens politician that did not get a hostile reaction from the rabid right, the crusty old men brigade on the forum included.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 8:36:07 AM
Paul1405,
Information please, not diversion accusations AGAIN ! Barney & George were not accusing anyone for gender discrimination, SHY did ! Can you see that little difference ?
She's getting a little shy the old SHY !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 7:47:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy