The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Fake News

Fake News

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All
Not sure this one will get a run, hope it does but will understand [always do] if it is no
Gets a bit hard here, most, nearly all, of us think fake news is real
We differ on what side is using it
Both do
Never in doubt, but it remains my view it is an invention of the right
We need to ask ourselves this *what do they [both sides] think of us*?
They KNOW we forget to watch the truth being rolled up and ditched as more and more truly fake news takes over
We [both sides] seem to me to be the Eskimos buying that refrigerator
Posted by Belly, Friday, 15 November 2019 2:48:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

Political figures like President Trump,
the Philippine President, and even the
Burmese military routinely use the term -
"Fake News" to dismiss allegations of
injustices in their administration.

It's no wonder some people are finding it
harder to tell fact from fiction and are liable
to internalize false beliefs that cause social unrest
with far-reaching consequences. Fake news is a
powerful tool for pushing false political agenda and
mud-slinging.

What we need to do is hold online platforms accountable
for fact-checking and implementing messages to warn users
about potentially malicious content. And we as consumers
must also be aware of the content we are reading and
sharing. Fake news has become a vehicle for mud-slinging
and smear campaigns - a phenomenon now echoed in politics
all around the world.

That's why fact-checking is so important.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 15 November 2019 4:10:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy very true every word
Think it has always existed but America brought it home from Adolf Hitler's main man
It says something about us, fact is it is willingly taken as fact by far too many
My research into ww2 often leaves me stunned that Germans brought the lies about Jews
Never thought in my lifetime America would be so deep in to it
Others will not agree but we all are weaker for not knowing what is true and what is not
Currently the social media is full of the greens did it, in relation to the firestorms , not dry winters and the danger stopping winter burns, escaping fires
Posted by Belly, Friday, 15 November 2019 5:45:04 PM
OK we are not going to talk about it, we are pretending it is those on the others side who are victims
In doing that we clearly are saying the very real drop off in standards of politics is ok
OK the lie ok not to have true policies to get things done just use fake news to win elections
The Sky/Fox fan club in existence here will never avoid this truth Trump has only one defense fake news
His only defense is saying truth is fake news
I know a future spotlight will unmask today's fake news
Politicians could do well to renew the Westminster system of accountability
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 16 November 2019 5:34:54 AM
Fake News is not only used by the Right, it also is in other journalism. Here's an example:

Australian comedian and host of Triple M Sydney’s breakfast program Lawrence Mooney said Court’s attitude towards gay people has no place in society.

“You can’t use ‘her views are popular’ and ‘she has a right to use them’ to be homophobic, you just can’t be,” Mooney told Channel 9’s Today program.

“And if you’re homophobic there’s no space for you in public life.

“Discriminating about sexuality is a crime, so it is legislated against.

“Margaret Court’s opinions on same sex marriage and sexuality are abhorrent and she should be hounded out of the sport until she falls into line.

“It’s absolutely abhorrent.

“Margie, catch up to 2019.

“Margaret Court needs to stop discriminating against people”, http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/australia-reacts-to-tennis-legend-margaret-courts-callout-of-tennis-australia/news-story/80029e76a08b4e94425bd1b53d714f7d

In spite of Mooney's tirade against Margaret Court, she has clearly stated she is NOT homophobic: 'Asked if her opposition to same-sex marriage was discriminatory, Court said she "loved homosexuals. I love them, I have them in the church here,"’, http://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/i-have-nothing-against-homosexuals-margaret-court-defends-views-on-gay-marriage-c-545514

Fake news is 'false, often sensational, information disseminated under the guise of news reporting' (Collins Dictionary 2019. s.v. fake news).
Why does Margaret Court refuse to support homosexual marriage? She has told us her support is for the Bible's teaching: ‘my belief as a Christian is marriage the Bible way’, http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/31/margaret-court-tennis-reaction-same-sex-marriage-opposition-is-bullying

This teaching comes from the lips of Jesus Christ in a passage such as Matthew 19:4-6, which includes the statement, ‘A man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife'.

It does not say he will be joined (sexually) with another male. Margaret Court is correct in affirming the biblical view of sexuality in marriage. She is not homophobic but a promoter of God's view, heterosexuality.

Lawrence Mooney's verbal assault on Margaret Court's views is fake news because Margaret Court supports the Bible's teaching on heterosexuality (and thus opposed to homosexual marriage). Court's position DOES NOT amount to homophobia.
Posted by OzSpen, Saturday, 16 November 2019 8:28:40 AM
OZ Spen I voted for their right to wed, not their right to make the practice mandatory
That said I FIRMLY, think Court and every Church, needs to stay out of our bed
No God ever existed , but if our one did he may have things to say about increasing bitterness said using his name
The question is, of all of us, are we guilty of bringing fake news to life by constantly letting it make up our minds? instead of thinking for ourselves?
Front page right now, only on the subject of Trump, warns fake news is in use
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 16 November 2019 11:51:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy