The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Alternative to meat

Alternative to meat

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
This morning [ABC online news] an alternative made out of vegetable matter is said to taste just like meat
We have had such before,usually even dearer than meat
But it never tasted like meat, what if this does and what if it is price competitive
Would you try it, will it ever become a real threat to farmers of the real stuff
Not broke yet but meat is not seen much here as it is truly priced out of my income bracket so yes will try it
If cheaper buy it, and just maybe if enough do it may find a niche in the market
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 12:38:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We poke fun at Coles and Woolies meat at our place Belly.

The premium grade mince is called 'Hoof & Snout';
The budget grade mince, that's called 'Penis, Testicle and Anus'.

We've got a good butcher in the next suburb and he's got the real top shelf, but we can't afford to eat the good stuff very often.
As a comparison his premium mince is $15 kilo, but there isn't a ounce of fat in it.

Their crumbed steak is really good too.
And can you imagine sausages that actually taste like real actual sausages?

Unfortunately the budget don't stretch so far to go there as much as what I'd like to.

So we often eat the continental packet meals - Rich Beefy Mince etc;
And Kan Tong chicken meals, Butter Chicken etc.

- With the Woolies mince and chicken breast

You can get away with making a meal for 3 or 4 adults for about $7 to $8
Even if only cooking for one you'll get a few meals out of it.
I sometimes put leftovers in those red decor containers for the following day.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 1:35:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's a lot of work being done on this...

http://babylonbee.com/news/innovative-new-process-converts-vegetables-into-meat-by-feeding-them-to-cows
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 2:07:00 PM
worth a try Belly although I think everything natural and without processing is probably going to be better for health.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 2:07:00 PM
Let me get this right mhaze,

The cows eat the vegetables and we eat the cow patts?
- This doesn't sound very tasty or nutrituional -

I think I'll just stick with the hoof & snout.

This is all just some stupid charade by some useless idiot greenies that are running around screaming "We're all going to die!" because they believe bovine flatulence is contributing to climate change and the worlds going to end in 12 years.

It will, but not because of climate change.
Climate change is just a tool to help push 2030 global agendas.
Which include global governance, global money and global taxes.
That's the end game.

The 2030 Global Agendas aren't there for the benefit of combatting climate change.
Combatting climate change is an idea that exists for the benefit of the 2030 Global Agendas

Never let a good crisis go to waste;
And if you don't have a good crisis manufacture one.
- Hegelian dialectic; Problem, Reaction, Solution. -
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 2:30:42 PM
I'd definitely go for it if was as good & healthy as the real thing. The big question for me is, will it's production be more or less harmful to the environment ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 3:04:00 PM
Dear Belly,

We vary our diet. I love fish - especially rockling
and barramundi. But they're not cheap either.
I make delicious potato pancakes. I make dumplings
filled with pork. I make a delish Russian salad
of potatoes and veggies. I make pasta dishes.

But we still love our meat. From chicken, to steak,
to mince, to snags. (Coles have great snags of
cider and pork) which I can recommend. Plus out
local butcher sells great home made snags.

Not sure if I'd try alternatives to what we already eat.
So far - it's not been a problem for us. If we have
to do without meat - we'd cope. I've got plenty of
pancake, dumpling, rice, and omelette recipes to fall back on.
Also good old french toast works as well. As do onion,
Tund, sardine, and egg sandwiches.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 3:08:50 PM
Runner much the same here when working price was never a consideration, now?if it is cheap it is not worth eating
Chicken from ALDIS is value pork not bad the rest?
A ready made market exists with vegetarians and vegans for this new meat
Because it is manufactured it looks like over sized hamburgers
We should consider what happens if say ten percent of the market is gained
A very real possibility here and in our export markets if it is both good and the right price
How then will it affect our meat growers, will prices here and export fall, will we use more water in growing the vegetable matter to make it
Long time refugee from that steak house, it charges more than most, not seeing a T bone on my plate any time soon
Foxy yes fish, cheap at the right time of year a box of Mullet goes in my freezer when they run 3 bucks a kilo cleaned
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 3:50:39 PM
Dear Belly,

We're still so lucky in this country to have
choices. I can do wonders with eggs and spuds
and beans.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 3:59:14 PM
I won't go beyond trying it just to see what it tastes like, anyway it's "hypocrite" food.

I eat very little beef and that mostly at McDonald's, as I get a constant supply of venison, both raw and corned, from a mate.
I take a fair few hares and rabbits and the freezer is well stocked with goat as well; all shot and prepared by myself.

Very cheap and tasty meat.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 4:04:23 PM
Just for reference, the reporter on the show Belly is talking about tried a fake chicken nugget. He said it cost about $100 to make. So a little way to go yet.

Still, its nice to see the ABC doing some advertising for favour industries.
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 4:08:16 PM
Anybody got a good recipe for roast pork?

I just can't seem to get the crackle right.

I've followed some of the recipes on Google - still
not getting it right.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 6:23:35 PM
Foxy,

Can't help as I hardly ever eat pork or any pig meat.
For some reason, I find it tasteless although I did eat and enjoy sugar-cured bacon in Ireland and Aldis do a great line in miniature bottled pork sausages from Germany.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 6:51:26 PM
I can do wonders with eggs and spuds
and beans.
Foxy,
I'm a potato fan, how about posting that recipé ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 7:15:51 PM
I'll happily give you some potato recipes tomorrow.

Feel a bit tired right now.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 6 August 2019 10:54:08 PM
The human animal needs meat, both white & definitely red meat in the diet for health reasons. They can keep their pretend meat, when I want to eat vegetables I'll eat them as vegetables.

I learned to like my vegetables done in coconut milk in the islands, but I want meat with them.

With my clapped out knees I don't get much exercise these days, so don't need big meals. A $12 piece of grain fed angus is enough to do me for a couple of meals, so I don't find the good stuff too dear really.

I did a big casserole this week. $11 for a bit over a kilo of chuck, a kilo of carrots, [sorry horse] & a heap of other vegies, cost about $20 for 6 nights meals, 2 this week & 4 frozen for Ron, [later on]. Meat doesn't cost that much I find.

I know what you mean about pork crackling Foxy, me too. Fortunately my son in law does it to perfection. My agistment charge for keeping their horse here is a roast pork dinner every few months. Heaven.

I tried a $20 pork roast from Coles. It was really nice, & gave me 2 nights meals, & lunch sandwiches for about a week, but following their directions, the crackling was not a success.

For any of you desperate for some meat, my extremely lightly grazed place has the best grass in the district, attracting the natives this dry winter. Thus there were 8 skippies down the bottom paddock, eating that horse out of grass & home today. Free meat if you want it.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 1:22:45 AM
Rabbits not around here,if their are any place near I would fill the freezer
Venison? well they long ago seem to have been set free after the very high price of the meat saw that market flop
ABC, it was not a show but the news online, showing, far from the first time,this new meat
It is not a new idea, they are working towards it
We in the last two hundred years, have seen canned food, frozen food, and many changes
This meat if/when it comes will be for financial reasons first
Foxy rub plenty of salt on to your pork before cooking it, old butcher told me that and it works
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 6:57:57 AM
Pedigree Loaf With 5 Kinds Of Meat is 100% complete and balanced with all the essential nutrients you will need to thrive. Made with beef and vegies, PEDIGREE will taste good in ways that gets the tail wagging and feed the good in ways you can see.

Ingredients:
chicken, pork, beef, lamb & liver.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 8:26:04 AM
Individual,

Here's a recipe for potato pancakes:

8 potatoes
2 eggs
3 tbsps flour
A dash of salt

Peel and finely grate potatoes.
Mix in other ingredients.
Gently heat a couple of tbsp cooking oil in frying pam.
Drop spoonfuls of mixture into hot oil. Fry on both
sides until golden brown. Serve with sour cream.

Here's a recipe for Potato pudding:

10 Medium potatoes
half cup of sour cream
1 tbsp butter
1 medium onion
4 tbsps Semolina
2 eggs
Dash of salt and pepper

Peel and finely grate potatoes.
Add chopped onion, melted butter, and other ingredients.
Pour into a tin lined with baking paper. Bake in a hot
oven (425 degrees F = 220 degrees C).
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 10:00:47 AM
Dear Belly,

I watched the program last night on what's being done
with the alternatives to meat. It was very interesting
and although still has a way to go - just maybe as you
pointed out - where our future may well lie.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 10:05:10 AM
Foxy,
Merci, bon appètite !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 10:42:39 AM
Here's something worth listening to.
Presented by Patricia Karvelas:

http://abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/high-steaks-the-battle-over-meat-alternatives-in-the-us/11386546
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 11:36:42 AM
Foxy will try those two, never knew the program was on may have watched it
Bit under the weather after watching Australia beat the Poms in cricket till early AM that day
Dog food, well we once heard the elderly are eating canned dog food, not sure it is cheap any more, Coles sells dog bones for 6 dollars a K but chicken drum sticks for 3 and a half often under three dollars
Future food may look very different to today's butcher shops
I buy dog food in bulk the cheapest chicken, cook it cut it up and serve bones and all to my dogs they thrive on it with dry food too
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 11:57:11 AM
Belly,

So ....... if we all gave up meat, that would include the dogs giving it up as well ?

So pretty soon, not only would there be no more cattle and sheep, but no more dogs ? Unless we can get then turned on to kale smoothies ?

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 12:02:33 PM
Foxy,
My son in law,from Melbourne, showed me.

When the pork is cooked, remove the crackling and place under griller.

You can then make it exactly how you like it, but check it often.

Worth a try.
Posted by HenryL, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 12:26:48 PM
Is Mise,
This may interest you.

Apparently grey squirrels are a pest in the UK and USA and local hunters are setting up hides in appropriate places with self feeders of nuts at about 15 to 20m away and using air rifles get some good head shots. I saw this on you tube. Seems there are some good air rifles these days.

They supposedly are good in the pot and I wonder if anyone here has tried them.
Posted by HenryL, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 1:28:45 PM
Dear HenryL.,

Thanks for the tip about the pork crackle.

I'll try it.

Mine has turned out very hard. And considering
how expense pork is - I'd like to get it right.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 1:42:05 PM
Henry L,

I've eaten squirrels in India and they were tasty, but then anything is tasty in India due to the variety of spices.

When shooting them with flintlock rifles the technique used is called 'barking', the animal sees the flash from the lock and ducks back behind the tree, so the hunter aims to fire through the bark and get the squirrel with a headshot.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 3:38:51 PM
Joe [loudmouth] never entered my mind we will or should give up eating meat, see threads subject
In fact wanted to stay away from politics but talk about a current effort to feed the billions that may or may not come about
Science is trying and will continue to, just as the CSIRO has given us whole new types of wheat rice even potatoes
Not one of us can be sure what the future holds but changes will come
I would eat Scotch filet forever if it was even close to being affordable
And feed my dogs only the best beef bones and meat
Never going to happen on the pension
Foxy my advice will not work if you do not like it harder, but like others I but a pork roast twice a month and tend to re-cook bits in stirr frys and soups
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 3:59:16 PM
Dear Belly,

I'm going to try HenryL's suggestion of the grill
for the pork crackle and see how it goes.

Then I might speak to our butcher as well.

Thanks for bringing up this discussion about
alternatives to meat. I'm learning a bit more about
lentils and other food sources.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 4:25:29 PM
I'm not eating cow patts.
- Not doin it -
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 5:51:20 PM
I watched that doco, early AM today, some here even if they watched it ten times would wrongly tell us they will not eat cow pats
Fact is we all do, having owned and breed cattle they eat grass and modern farmers if they can spread cow pats on that grass
However we should understand while environmentalists will want it, this new meat will not be our future
Unless it is cheaper better or uses less water grass grain to make
Even then the steak on a plate is not going any place ever
We do progress new things do take the place of old
Had anyone told us 30 years ago the film development shop in every town would be closed down within a year by digital cameras?
Or in the box brownie days we would one day take photos using phones
New meat is assured a market only the size of that market is unknown
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 8 August 2019 7:01:05 AM
Belly,

And if anyone had told us thirty years ago that most people would happily carry around a device that would let the Government know where they were, we'd have said that they were mad.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 8 August 2019 7:57:09 AM
ise mise much of our lives are far different than our parents including your seeming fear of government knowing what you are doing
I remain convinced if it helps catch terrorists and criminals it is ok
Just had some cheaper brand hamburgers not sure what to think
Still may try cooking the box they came in, could be more tasty, wonder if there is any meat in them?
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 8 August 2019 11:35:30 AM
There are few stray cats and dogs , they're in take-away Chow Mein and Chop Suey. Fruit Bat with Mango and Sulphuric Acid is hygienic , sustainable and better than Bitcoin.
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 8 August 2019 1:18:31 PM
The old Chinese food is cats trick, not even strange these days but if it is cat give me more
In fact open a shop next door love Chinese food
Fun or not I get the feeling the future will include some maybe a lot, of new meat
Thinking about population growth it may well be needed just to feed the numbers
What was that name ww2 Germans gave fake coffee and such
Think some of the cheapest brands of bread maybe made out of sawdust
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 8 August 2019 4:42:59 PM
Ersatzteile ("spare parts") or Ersatzspieler ("substitute player").
Like steak pies with delicious lung, pancreas, haggis and offal spare parts. We had a boutique chic trendy pie-shop where my sister asked for offal pie and was served strange looks.
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 8 August 2019 4:55:19 PM
That was the word I was looking for nickname nick ruok?'
We do, right now eat products that are not what they say, try seafood extender, nearly described in your post, it is animal gut
Seafood sticks, much the same, when first seen they had taste even some seafood in them, now not any willing to bet
My mentioned beef burgers could have been cardboard willing to bet something other than meat was most of it
Posted by Belly, Friday, 9 August 2019 7:02:10 AM
THey had it 35 years ago , said George Orwell.
"On to each was dumped swiftly the regulation lunch — a metal pannikin of pinkish-grey stew, a hunk of bread, a cube of cheese, a mug of milkless Victory Coffee, and one saccharine tablet."
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 9 August 2019 7:20:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy