The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > So where to for Labor now?

So where to for Labor now?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
Labor lost, it did not die, it lost because it has become self interested looking at itself not the voters
It too tried to be shifty on things like the Queensland mine
It knew that mine would go ahead,even if it won the election
It pandered to the green left ,ignoring they, in the end, vote for us in any case,it left its own base out in the cold
It loved Bill, refused to see some did not, to put it mildly
BUT climate change is real
In time even America will act on it, far more importantly Morrison will too
We are headed for a financial crisis, some lard heads will[as they did in the last one] blame the government for it
Labor needs to pick the right leader Anthony Albanese, in my view
Neens to get away from the white shirt upwardly mobile air wasters who are in the party to progress themselves not the party
Posted by Belly, Monday, 20 May 2019 6:37:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I think that Shorten was toxic, the real reason that Labor threw away the election was their toxic policies.

1) Adani - Labor's hostile policy to this mine and against Mining generally essentially saw Labor lose every seat in Queensland north of Brisbane. Brown eyed Bob's caravan from Melbourne was the last straw.

2) The retiree tax managed to piss off just about everyone over 65 and those planning for retirement.

3) The capital gains tax not only managed to worry homeowners that saw their investment shrinking or going into negative equity, but many small business who saw their ability to claim tax rebates again investments evaporate.

4) Labor's promise of a budget surplus in the face of a massive increase in spending completely lacked credibility.

To sum it up, Bill Shorten made the error of announcing his policies ahead of the election, if he had simply followed KRudd's and Juliar's examples of promising prudence and ignoring the promises after the election, he would be in power now.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 20 May 2019 7:20:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly no leader could have sold Labors crazy policies.

Even if global warming were true, wind & solar can not supply our power requirements, & cost the earth, while simply buggering up the grid.

Look at Germany if you won't believe me. They are building coal fired power as quickly as they can, now they have gone all silly about nuclear.

Electric cars may be, but probably are not, the next big thing in private transport. That is something that should be left up to the consumer to decide. We can't afford idiot lawyers to decide our fate on this or anything else.

In the unlikely event your mob come back to earth, they might have some chance, otherwise we are in the hands of Labor light for years.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 20 May 2019 8:04:51 AM
Adani obviously played a big part in Qld but I think the major part is the present Qld Premier & her administration's performance. They simply raise fees when they need more money instead of managing the State. Registration is out of hand in Qld as are minor traffic fines. Forgetting a registration incurs a $450.- fine ?? Imagine a single mother or someone out of work ? This Premiers outfit is causing so much social misery that it is bordering on the dangerous.
Of course, her predecessor laid the foundation of mismanagement but I recall his successor pledging to make this better. Her femocrat club was certainly distracted from doing that !
Posted by individual, Monday, 20 May 2019 8:37:35 AM
Someone, I think that it was Waleed Aly, predicted that Labor would win 81 seats.

I'm happy to say that I predicted that Labor would lose, I had a bet on it too and picked up a nice return.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 20 May 2019 8:49:10 AM
Hasbeen said that the change to electric cars should be market driven
rather than by regulation. That will ensure the costs are minimal.
The change will happen, it is happening now. The only reason it is not
so noticeable here is because the factories are running flat out
building left hand drive versions.
The looming difficulties in the oil industry such as Angola.
They were a very large exporter of oil but peak oil in Angola was in
2010 and it has reached the point where the economy is collapsing
petrol is almost unattainable and there are large financial difficulties.
The tight oil producers in the US are in financial difficulties also.
Shell and others are planning how to disentangle themselves from the oil industry.
Governments and motor industries are reading the tea leaves.
The change is being driven by oil industry problems.
It has nothing to do with global warming.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 20 May 2019 10:41:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All