The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should some criminals pay the costs of imprisonment?

Should some criminals pay the costs of imprisonment?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Hi there YUYUTSU...

You say prison is such a cruel and inhuman idea, it should not be further encouraged. You'd prefer they'd be confined to their own home and therefore pay their own way. What happens if the original crime was perpetrated in the offenders home, against one of the family members, what do we do there?

If we do away with prisons, those people who've been sentenced for serious crime and who don't have homes, or others who've come from dislocated families, where do they go? No YUYUTSU, prisons are needed without a doubt. I realise you're a very strong supporter of hanging (capital punishment), but not all miscreants can be put to death, now can they. Most definitely, we do need our gaols.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 5:23:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In the general case, this seems like a very complicated legal area with all sorts of arguments I haven't even considered.

But in the specific case of Eddie Obeid? Take the bastard for everything he's got, and then a bit more. Does the man still have two kidneys? Because if he does, we could have one of those out and sell it on the black market. The price of a kidney is piddlingly small amount compared to the mountain of debt Obeid is responsible for, but it's better than nowt.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 5:48:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Obeid was one of the unlucky crooks because he got caught. What about the hundreds if not thousands of legal crooks rorting within the Public Service every day of the year ? I suppose they're protected by the head Domino who is propped up by the others to prevent falling over & taking them all out with him. Obeid was obviously pushed the other way.
Going back to the topic, the compensation for victims has never been a priority but it must be made a priority asap. As I said earlier, no payment for the defence lawyer until the victim has been compensated.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 7:00:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey rehctub,
I can't argue with your logic.
There's no reason (in principle at least) why people who don't commit crimes should foot the bill for those that do.

Hey Toni,
US$27000 apparently (for a kidney) but a lot less if you microfinance someone in a third world country a good deal on a sewing machine (with not so good interest rates); and then they fail to repay the money for the sewing machine and you take their kidney.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 7:25:00 PM
//US$27000 apparently (for a kidney)//

I'm not going to ask how you came by that knowledge... I may already be on watch list as it is. About an hour ago I sent a text to mate containing the words 'Mohammed' and 'jihad'. It was sent in the context of the phrase 'Durka durka durka, Mohammed jihad'. If you don't understand, watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIlG9aSMCpg&t=49s

But those two words in the same text... I'm bound to have thrown up a few red flags. I expect I'll have Mr. Potato-Head Dutton knocking on my door with his goons any minute now.

Although I think that when he does he'll discover, much to his dismay, that we Irish are well versed in how to deal with potatoes - and even half spud, half man, half massive cock monsters.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 10:46:57 PM
Dear O Sung Wu,

«What happens if the original crime was perpetrated in the offenders home, against one of the family members, what do we do there?»

They could go to live with a relative or a friend, or a charity could provide a place, or they could rent a place. As a last resort, the state could let them rent cheap small shacks in the outback, but most likely then, private investors would take up this business opportunity anyway.

«No YUYUTSU, prisons are needed without a doubt.»

Only when someone is still dangerous, to prevent them from doing more harm - and even then, not before offering them the death penalty as a humane alternative.

«I realise you're a very strong supporter of hanging (capital punishment)»

Not as punishment, but as an option anyone could choose in order to avoid the dreadful prospect of prison.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 11:52:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy