The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should some criminals pay the costs of imprisonment?

Should some criminals pay the costs of imprisonment?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
Eddie Obeid, a name that chills me, owes 7 million dollars, the costs awarded against him after court appearances, and over $600.000 in forforted pension payments, should the tax payers be made to pay? he has the assets why him and any one who has assets, do we not make them pay?
Posted by Belly, Monday, 9 July 2018 12:14:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why should we the victims of crime pay to feed prisoners? is it ok for them to walk free still having a fortune in the bank? law is not set in stone, we do not have to forever do things as they have always been done
Posted by Belly, Monday, 9 July 2018 4:26:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

You've asked a fair and valid question. However I think
it probably all depends what they are charged with
and what sort of sentence they are given. I think it
all depends on the letter of the law - which the courts
follow. Also, the money that some of these people have is
probably well hidden that you'd first have to find it,
to be able to get your hands on it.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 9 July 2018 7:16:37 PM
I think first & foremost it is compensation to the victim that the focus should be on. After, that the criminals can start repaying their stay in prison.
Many unfortunate old age pensioners don't have access to facilities that are presently available to prisoners. Prisoners can study for degees at no cost or so I'm led to believe whilst their victims are struggling to make ends meet.
In my opinion no defence lawyer should get paid before the victim of his/her client(s) are compensated.
Posted by individual, Monday, 9 July 2018 9:52:26 PM
Belly, I have no hesitation in saying if Obeid, and others like him, have the ability to pay for their incarceration I see no reason why not. However in the majority of cases the first consideration should be to compensate the victims of crime through a fund set up for that purpose. Obeid owes a large debt to the taxpayers of NSW. Proceeds of crime should be confiscated, and if not able to be returned to the rightful owners then added to the victims fund.
The majority of criminals would not have the resources to pay for their crimes, so getting blood out of many might prove difficult.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 9 July 2018 10:19:06 PM
While I used the NSW filth to highlight my view in no way do I want those who can not pay to do so,however just as tax is avoided by false gifts to family and other hiding places every effort should be made to get the cash from drug dealers high income thieves/offenders and such, trying hard to see any way my thoughts can be said to ignore the victims, separate issue surely, but as a victim of Oeid and his fellow rats, I would be more than pleased to see him pay, every cent
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 7:36:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy