The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Do we rid our selves of the Senate or reform it?

Do we rid our selves of the Senate or reform it?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
Do we think the Senate is or ever was the states house we are told it is?have recent reforms stopped micro party's one issue party's, or small party's getting elected? do we want minority's to blackmail governments?two party get if not eighty percent of the vote very near it, is it Democratic for those sharing the other 20 percent to over rule or hold up a government? Queensland did not die when it got rid of its upper house, we need not forever use the Westminster system if it rusts,my view is not Senate or at least a reduced numbers one, full election three year terms in lock step with the lower house
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 31 May 2018 6:03:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Preferably get rid of both houses, but if only one house is to be eliminated, then better get rid of the lower house.

In other words, have proportional representation, then indeed there will no longer be a need for a senate. At present, the senate is the only place where ordinary people have a little bit of a say.

Yes, so long as there are governments, minorities should be able to limit the damage that governments do.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 31 May 2018 11:34:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My arguement has always been that I get 5 chances every 4 years to have a say who gets to hold the reins of power in this country. 1 Council, 2 State and 2 Federal.

i don't think it is a mistake that Australians like to keep that power split. They tend to vote a different party into their state government than the one at a Federal level. They also rarely give any party total control over both houses, upper and lower.

If you want a different system you need to explain how my voting rights will not be effected and if that system still allows review of legislation by a separate body. If you can't then find another mug because this one ain't buying what you are selling.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 31 May 2018 11:43:57 PM
Senators merely go along with their parties or, in the case of crossbenchers, do deals with governments to get minority, often crackpot, changes for themselves and few weirdos who voted for them. Greens are the main offenders. On the other hand, it's a way for minority interests to enter the game.

No matter what, the senate is not going to be reformed or abolished by a dud political class, so get over it.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 31 May 2018 11:52:08 PM
Well do we value the rights of the majority? or do we talk of the right to minority to both be represented and even over rule the majority? today's headlines tell of the one nation chook pen again seeing one jump the fence? what of those who voted for him? first halve the number of Senators, then three year terms, that way incoming governments have every chance of holding both houses, if they fail they will be punished next time can ANY government bring about true reform with our current Senates make up? I think not
Posted by Belly, Friday, 1 June 2018 7:18:00 AM
//Do we rid our selves of the Senate or reform it?//

Both would require a referendum: good luck getting it passed. Referendums usually fail.

Looks like you might just have to learn to be thankful for the Senate, which I daresay is the envy of less democratic countries the world over.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 1 June 2018 8:03:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy