The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Sonia Kruger allowed to feel threatened by Jihadists?

Is Sonia Kruger allowed to feel threatened by Jihadists?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. 15
  14. 16
  15. 17
  16. All
Foxy,

One simple question: how can one trust the word of a Muslim, when they are talking about Islam?
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 25 July 2016 1:02:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Is Mise,

I'm no sage or pundit, but from my experience I've
found that the best way to find out if you can trust
somebody is to trust them. Mutual trust has worked
for me. Very few people have actually let me down.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 25 July 2016 1:36:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey JayB
Not necessarily.
Australia has 2 key elements that make up our freedom of speech: freedom of opinion and freedom of expression.

Freedom of opinion is your right to hold opinions—however different from mainstream opinion it may be—without interference. There are no exceptions or restrictions to this right.
Freedom of expression relates to any medium, including written and oral communication, the media, public protest, broadcasting, artistic works and commercial advertising. This right is not absolute, as it may be restricted in areas such as posting on the internet, the urging of violence or classification of artistic material and in relation to publishing defamatory information about someone.

http://www.qld.gov.au/law/your-rights/right-to-protest-freedom-of-speech-and-censorship/freedom-of-speech/

I did have a better link for the laws, but I couldn't find it.

Basically you have the freedom to express any genuine opinion so long as you're not inciting violence or being openly and aggressively racist etc..
There's nothing that specifically says 'thou cannot offend' as far as I know.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 25 July 2016 1:48:53 PM
Foxy: We are talking about moslims here. Remember the Old Lady & "The Snake." It's so true when dealing with moslims. They probably won't bite on the first day, but they will sooner or later & if you want to continue to trust them then you have to turn into a Snake. so they won't bite. But, then again, some snakes eat other snakes, don't they.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 25 July 2016 1:50:10 PM
Dear Jayb,

I can only speak from my own experiences with people.

I don't believe in generalisations. I find that those
sort of concepts are too vague and sweeping in their
scope. Of course some people tend to think in terms of
general categories, if only to enable them to make sense
of the world by simplifying its complexity. Stereotyping
and scapegoating sadly are not checked against reality.

Anyway, enough said. I'm now going to visit my mum in
her nursing home. Where by the way, many of the excellent
staff just happen to be Muslim.

Cheers.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 25 July 2016 2:44:36 PM
Foxy,

I didn't ask you if you trusted Muslims but how can you trust them if they are speaking about Islam, there's a world of difference.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 25 July 2016 2:55:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14